Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Local FiST crash

Business6

Lot of motorcyclists have died this summer around here and unfortunately a FiST was involved in this one:

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46366110&nid=148&title=police-identify-man-killed-in-motorcycle-car-collision-in-sandy

I know it's easy to place blame on either the person in the car or the guy on the bike but just watch out. Don't want that hanging over your head for the rest of your life along with potential charges.
How awful.

I've seen it happen before - it's much more difficult to judge the distance and speed of oncoming cars in the dark, with traffic. People think they have time to make that left turn, and the motorcycles have no choice but to t-bone the car.

Once drove past two corpses around the corner from my house. Two guys were riding pretty fast (way over the limit) down the street aside from one another and the old lady misjudged pulling a left in to her driveway. They both smashed right into her.

If you ride, assume these things are ALWAYS about to happen and ride accordingly. Happens way too often.

koozy

3000 Post Club
As someone who also rides motorcycles I find the general cage driving population are boneheads and oblivious to riders and what the inherent dangers are for a motorcyclist. If one doesn't ride, then they simply don't know what it's like to straddle a machine between your legs. Whether the driver or the rider is right or wrong, the rider usually always gets hurt or loses their life, many cage drivers don't care or seem to understand that.

As someone who also rides motorcycles I find the general cage driving population are boneheads and oblivious to riders and what the inherent dangers are for a motorcyclist. If one doesn't ride, then they simply don't know what it's like to straddle a machine between your legs. Whether the driver or the rider is right or wrong, the rider usually always gets hurt or loses their life, many cage drivers don't care or seem to understand that.
Eh, that's a bit of a stretch. What makes you think other drivers aren't aware of the dangers of riding a motorcycle? There's a reason most people don't ride motorcycles. It's fucking dangerous. If you accept that risk, more power to you. Regardless of what may have happened in this individual accident, you can't blame drivers for the vulnerability inherent to riding a motorcycle. Some of these kinds of accidents are the fault of the car driver, some the rider, and some both. You're right that the motorcyclist is going to 'lose' in these collisions, but to me that is just an argument for being a cautious rider and being aware that you are harder for others to see. Drivers can't avoid what they can't see (or what they see when it's too late). Even in the FiST I assume anyone in a truck or big SUV can't see me and act accordingly.

koozy

3000 Post Club
Eh, that's a bit of a stretch. What makes you think other drivers aren't aware of the dangers of riding a motorcycle? There's a reason most people don't ride motorcycles. It's fucking dangerous. If you accept that risk, more power to you. Regardless of what may have happened in this individual accident, you can't blame drivers for the vulnerability inherent to riding a motorcycle. Some of these kinds of accidents are the fault of the car driver, some the rider, and some both. You're right that the motorcyclist is going to 'lose' in these collisions, but to me that is just an argument for being a cautious rider and being aware that you are harder for others to see. Drivers can't avoid what they can't see (or what they see when it's too late). Even in the FiST I assume anyone in a truck or big SUV can't see me and act accordingly.
it's an opinion, it's my opinion based on my own experiences and wisdom.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Your argument has its merits except most drivers don’t even look for motorcylists. I lost one of my best friends for this very reason. He was coming down a street and a women pulled a u trun in from of him without looking . He swerved to avoid her she saw after the turn and shut the door on him by moving across into his path he went into a slide and his bike high sided. He got tossed against a park car and died of internal injuries at the scene. Had she been paying attention and watching she would have seen him coming before causing the accident.

Fact is I have seen this kind of stuff way to much. Most drivers just don’t watch and whats worse is no one is ever instructed to in drivers ed courses. I know no one taught me. I learned because I had friends that rode in high school.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
In the end....It doesn't matter how good of a motorcyclist you are or how long you have been riding. Its the Idiots on their phones....not checking mirrors or just plain inattentive driving. This is why I will not OWN a motor cycle and hesitate to ride in a non controlled environment if I wanna ride one. Its unfortunate that someone lost their life and the FiST driver will most likely be traumatized for their life. Even driving a car these days you must be defensive and aggressive due to the Morons driving....Drinking their Brawndo and on their devices..reading books...shaving...putting makeup on. All that shit can wait till you stop. Its a vicious cycle and its most likely never going to stop.[bawling]

I agree with you in most aspects here, but I think it also needs to be clarified that this doesn't just apply to the general population not paying attention to motorcycles, it's paying attention to anyone else on the road in general. I love my technology as much as the next person, but drivers in general have become a nightmare. People aren't paying attention, they aren't using turn signals and they seem completely oblivious to the world around them. The worst part is, we have laws that say "no text and driving" or "no talking on the phone and driving" etc... but manufacturers just keep adding more tech into vehicles that provide more sources for distraction.

I've been riding for 10+ years now and I have finally decided to sell my current bike and give it up. I just haven't even felt safe on my last couple rides and have almost been hit from the rear and the side, almost run off the road, or had to take drastic evasion to avoid hitting cars pulling out in front of me. 90% of the time it's someone with phone in hand, swerving around, doing their makeup, etc. Hell I almost go merged into by a guy trying to eat a breakfast sandwich while driving with his elbow and holding his cup in the other hand, no blinker just came on over then honked at me like it was my fault for being in my land cruising in a straight line.

I used to think the guys on bikes who acted like assholes and went in and out of traffic at crazy speeds or white lined, or went around everyone were the problem as they gave the rest of us on sport bikes a bad rap, but slowly my opinion has shifted and I know in my current living area I feel like I'm on borrowed time everytime I ride.

Easy solution for distracted drivers, take away the airbags, collapsable steering columns, ABS, stability control, radial tires, safety glass, stop stitch welding and go back to nuts and bolts. Raise speed limits 20%(solves the distracted pedestrian issue), dispose of ALL the traffic control signage and lights. Supply free wi-fi, with unlimited data plans.

That would solve all the things, plus no need for expensive driverless tech, the first 3 days would have everyone driving like death is their co-pilot.

Yes, I also ride motorcycle, and should be allowed to carry a .50 Desert Eagle while riding... ap rounds..

Sent from my iPhone using Glue and macaroni

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Down here in Texas I can ride while openly or concealed carrying a Desert Eagle. They do not make AP rounds in .50AE though. You're thinking of the .50BMG which is a different cartridge, as found in the popular Barrett M82 rifle and its variants - which btw, I could also sling on my back while riding in Texas.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I remember many years ago when I turned left off of an onramp onto a bridge. There was a Harley coming at me from far away on the other side of the interstate crossing the bridge. Had he been going close to the speed limit, I would have crossed with plenty of time to spare, but he was flying. He slammed his brakes, and even followed me, screaming and flipping me off.

Sorry, bud. You were going way too fast. It's hard to judge the speed of an oncoming motorcycle.

Judging from the damage on the car here, I imagine that bike was flying, too.

...I think it also needs to be clarified that this doesn't just apply to the general population not paying attention to motorcycles, it's paying attention to anyone else on the road in general.
THIS. Every day I see someone who has NO IDEA there are other cars on the road - mirrors are obviously turned so they cannot see behind/around their car, leaning on the center console with their phone held up so they can read it, or constantly looking down in their laps and glancing up at the road every so often. And there is no point in honking at these people for being idiots because they have no idea that they are doing something wrong. Everyday someone (more like lots of someones) gets in an accident because of distracted driving. It's just that sometimes it's an unlucky soul on a motorcycle that is the victim instead of a guard rail or tree or ditch or another car.

Easy solution for distracted drivers, take away the airbags, collapsable steering columns, ABS, stability control, radial tires, safety glass, stop stitch welding and go back to nuts and bolts.
Don't forget the lane departure warnings and the automatic "don't rear-end the stopped car in front of you" features. Cars are being built to be idiot proof - the bad part of that is that they keep making better idiots.

OP
Business6

Business6

Thread Starter #15
I've become more concerned about people overreacting to me honking at them and doing something stupid so I've done it less over the last few years. How's that for defensive driving? lol

It's worth noting that there are no details provided in the crash I linked other than a FiST turned left and a motorcycle crashed into him.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
it's an opinion, it's my opinion based on my own experiences and wisdom.
There are WAY more squids on over powered bikes riding around the mountains here. Someone dies almost every weekend from riding over their head. There are so many roadside crosses it’s sickening. I’ve been riding for decades and it never changes. I’ve seen crotch squids f’n parked in the middle of a lane over a blind hill on the Dragon (129). In my opinion, the worst drivers on mtn roads are hauling 53ft trailers where they shouldn’t be. Those guys and squids on motos are the worst.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
I doubt the rider was the victim in this instance. The scenario wreaks of aggressive reckless speeding by the motorcyclist. I also ride but not in town. There are way too many oblivious idiots and even more assholes that will pick a fight with you simply because you're on a motorcycle. I only ever ride out in the country.

Ford Community Posts