Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

A little dissapointed in the FiST 2018

Da9L

Hello there, first post from me!

I've since i first saw the new Fiesta ST back in the beginning of 2018, had the idea, that this would be the car to replace my almost 20 year old faithful VW Polo 6N. The new interior and discrete exterior looks, was just the car i was looking for.

And a few days ago i finally had the chance to try one out at a dealer here in Denmark, although only a quick ride. And my thoughts? I was actually quite dissapointed in its power! Now, we were 4 people in it, and it was only a quick ride, but i want to give it another shot and try it again. I liked the handling and comfort though. How many RPM's does it performance peak in?

Later i tried out a Golf GTE, because a mate of mine wanted that car, so i just joined him to try and compare it to the FiST. This time we were 3 people in the GTE, but oh boy, that car was SO MUCH faster than what i remembered the FiST to be, and they have roughly the same HP (however the GTE has more torque since its a hybrid i believe). The GTE is also another class of car i know, and the pricepoint shows that.

But i still believe that i must have done something wrong on that day.. I tried out the normal Fiesta right after the FiST, but with the 1.0 Ecoboost 140hp engine, also with 4 people in it, and honestly didn't feel that much difference. What could possible have gone wrong, and shouldn't i give it another shot ? Any recommendations on how to drive it ?

Thanks in advance!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Yeap....dont pack it with 4 people....is it 2 door or 4 door? After I bought mine I got an AP3/ Cobb accessport....totally different animal. I'm not sure what they would use in Euro it might be from another vendor but similar. When you look at the price and compare the two...The FiST is usually the better bargin.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
The whole 4 passenger thing will affect performance. That an additional 500-600 extra pounds for the car to accelerate with.

Test drive it by yourself. Should be a different experience.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
What everyone is forgetting is that he said the VW was a hybrid car. Hybrids have a huge torgue assist from the electric motor(s) and that torque is available at 1rpm so the hybrid will always feel faster with or without other passengers.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Having people in the car makes a enormous difference it would be so much better by yourself. Let's not forget he is overseas so he is driving the new 2018 we don't get here in America.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Everything thing I have read and seen online says the 3 cylinder is fast as the old 4. Though it does have a bit of fuel saving technology that may have been the culprit in this. It will shiput down a cylinder and run on two when the ecu does not see the reason for running 3. Also the MK8 chassi/model ST has switchable modes of driving . I.E. Economy , Sports etc.... its very possible between 4 people and the wrong mode.

OP
D

Da9L

Thread Starter #7
Hmm could maybe be that it was running on 2 cylinders only ? I did set it to sport, which made the exhaust louder, but really that was all it did. I didnt feel any difference in how fast it was. Have to try it with my self or with my wife only next time! And maybe ask how the cylinder disable works, so that i can make sure it is not that

But i still believe that i must have done something wrong on that day.
Why would you think you did anything wrong? It's a car. Nothing special you need to do except drive it and determine what you think about the experience.

Perhaps you just didn't like it? Nothing wrong with that.

DEss

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
Hmm could maybe be that it was running on 2 cylinders only ? I did set it to sport, which made the exhaust louder, but really that was all it did. I didnt feel any difference in how fast it was. Have to try it with my self or with my wife only next time! And maybe ask how the cylinder disable works, so that i can make sure it is not that
Cylinder disable only works when there is a light load on the engine, i.e. at freeway driving, light load. Hills or a loaded car will not let it run on 2 cylinders.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I think that OP was probably running it at lower rpms which would keep the car running at 2 cylinders instead of 3. That would significantly reduce the power...besides OP did ask what rpms to run it at for more power.

Not sure for Euro model, but I would think that you need to have the rpms above 3k. Could play around with it next time to find out when it kicks in and see the difference then.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
The st’s are only quick because they’re light and tossable- put 4 people in and you negate the virtue of the car. You can only do so much with 1.5 liters of displacement. Maybe put a second engine and trans in the rear hatch :D

3.0l twin turbo six cylinder with all wheel drive hehe