Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Traction Control Preference for Driving on the Street

Traction Control Preference for Driving on the Street

• Traction Control On (I do not press the ESC button)

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • Sport Mode (Press ESC Button)

Votes: 27 45.0%
  • Traction Control Off (Hold ESC Button for 4 seconds)

Votes: 13 21.7%

• Total voters

Intuit

3000 Post Club
^^^So what you are saying is turn all of them as far off as the switch will allow (or not)?? [???:)]

I do this more so to try and save the factory brakes for as long as possible, than for any of the other 'performance' reasons. [wink]
I agree with that reasoning; saving brakes.

Preference for OFF... completely off.
Because it seems rather passive (as it should be) I'm not going to go through the trouble of holding the button with every ignition.

By the way, folks may be REALLY interested in this...
https://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=319721

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
what's the reason for having it off on the street?
I have been driving for over 60 years and almost all in cars without these automatic functions.
I would also say that many of us have learned and drive very well without them.
I enjoy the feeling of a true driver's car that I am in control of.
Maybe those that need to rely on all of these automatic functions shouldn't be driving in the first place.
Maybe you have noticed that car manufacturers are in the process of taking the driver out of the equation.

This is just my opinion.

Dave

Maybe you should drive a car with a carburetor then. You're clearly too old to handle all this modern technology. Go back to yelling at kids to stay off your lawn.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
I have been driving for over 60 years and almost all in cars without these automatic functions.
I would also say that many of us have learned and drive very well without them.
I enjoy the feeling of a true driver's car that I am in control of.
Maybe those that need to rely on all of these automatic functions shouldn't be driving in the first place.
Maybe you have noticed that car manufacturers are in the process of taking the driver out of the equation.

This is just my opinion.

Dave
This.

People a shit drivers because of all the modern "advancements" in automobiles.

I hazard to wager that traffic and drivers would become better if everyone drove a manual. Can't dick with a phone with two busy hands.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Maybe you should drive a car with a carburetor then. You're clearly too old to handle all this modern technology. Go back to yelling at kids to stay off your lawn.
I DO! both LOL

BTW, EFI only controls the AFR for better air quality and there is nothing wrong with that.
EFI is needed by most because they don't know how to tune a carburetor(s) properly (another lost art)
Additionally this has nothing to do with this topic.

Dave

Last edited:

Intuit

3000 Post Club
It seems, they didn't adequately test stability control for the unusual... braking out of corners. Never breaking traction, it feels like the car is all over the place when braking out of corner.

.......... Can't dick with a phone with two busy hands.
Wanna bet? [deviltail]
Used to be able to text before the phones went to all touch-screen. [wink]
Phones aren't the problem, common sense is. If it weren't a phone, the distraction would merely be something else. My Brother was rear-ended because someone was busy fiddling with the radio. If folks can't figure out that you shouldn't stare at anything other than the road, shouldn't prioritize anything other than the road...... [8]

..... drivers would become better if everyone drove a manual ....
Agreed, but transmission shops would certainly love this. https://www.fiestastforum.com/threa...denied-by-ford?p=174410&viewfull=1#post174410 [readthis] This may be true, only because it eliminates the lowest of motivated/skilled drivers from the roads.

so how does traction control setting impact brake torque vectoring on these cars? With an open differential it's often better to have the vectoring working to help put power down coming out of turns. Do you get this in sport mode? how about full traction off?

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
As I recall from the owner's manual.
Torque vectoring is never turned off.

Dave

my FWD audi A3 had off meaning everything off. You would just roast one tire with 300 torques coming out of tight turn, it was better to leave it on.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Well I'm glad that we have the option to choose. I prefer it without traction control, unfortunately I'm a bit too lazy to turn it off everytime. I do it whenever it comes to mind though.

If only we could elect to have it always off when we start it up.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Just yesterday we got a little much needed rain here is So. Cal., the first since I installed this custom circuit.

Automatic-Traction-Control-Off-Module

I was very happy that with just one push of the ESC button the Traction Control was back on again, when needed for safety.
I like this thing because it lets me effortlessly keep my car the way I like to drive it and still gives me the piece of mind when I need it.

Dave

"I was very happy that with just one push of the ESC button the Traction Control was back on again, when needed for safety."

This is what I do manually because it's not much trouble to me. I like it off most of the time, that's a good default for me. However, on cool damp nights the safety net is nice... and one button push away! The middle setting is also good to use. I rarely drive so hard that it corrects. When our little cars do correct over steer, they do a great job!

Last week I left everything turned on in my STI coming off a ramp and it was wet. The rear barely moved out and it locked a rear wheel for a second. It actually scared me how violently it corrected the slip.