Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

daily / track brake setup

I'm trying to figure out a brake setup that I could use on the track and street. My car is completely stock and will see maybe one track day a month. I've heard of people just doing front pads + fluid, front and rear pads + fluid, just fluid, or stock pads and stock fluid. Could anyone please clarify what I should use?

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Stock pads, stock rotors, fresh brake fluid. Turn off ESC completely, watch your coolant temps, and have fun!

Stock brakes are more than adequate for track work.

Edit: this only applies if you have the performance brakes not the optional low-dust brakes which came as part of the package with all-season tires.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
F
Thread Starter #3
Stock pads, stock rotors, fresh brake fluid. Turn off ESC completely, watch your coolant temps, and have fun!

Edit: this only applies if you have the performance brakes not the optional low-dust brakes which came as part of the package with all-season tires.

Mine is a 2018 model. I don't have also-season tires, but from what I read the brake pads are different on the 2018s than previous years? I don't know if this is true.

The stock brakes will not fade terribly after a short track session, but that doesn't mean they will be in great shape afterward. Mine looked really bad when I pulled them off after a track day. Big gouges out of the middle and they were grooving my rotors. Anyway, you can get by, but it's not recommended if you are tracking once a month. Of course, any track oriented pad is going to be a compromise, in that you will likely have some more noise and they will often have less bite when cold (I'd say more dust too, but the stock ones are already terrible in that respect), so they are not great to use on the street, especially in a cooler climate. If you're trying to do things on the cheap, I would say at least get some track oriented pads for the front and swap them before a track day. The rears you can probably leave stock depending on your driving style. I would definitely put in some high temp fluid every couple track days (or whenever you notice the pedal is getting soft).

OP
F
Thread Starter #5
Okay, is there anything else I should do before I go?

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
You shouldn't put your high-dollar track pads on old grooved rotors. Poor performance and poor durability. I've yet to hear of any aftermarket pad compound that has better overall performance than the stock pad. Yes they wear quickly and yes they will eat up your stock rotors, but for the price of new "track" pads you can replace your factory pads and Factory rotors 4 times. And like I said those track pads aren't even that great.

green_henry

1000 Post Club

+1 I have been very impressed with the stock brakes over the course of 9 20-minute track sessions (on 3 separate days). Redline RL-600 fluid works great. I'll eventually replace the rotors with slotted ones, but so far, so good

laxcat

I am only getting about 2-3 days out of my front carbotech x10 pads with ECS off and brake ducting. My calipers are no longer red and I had to rebuild the calipers a few times after melting the boots and inner seal. This seems similar to other people I have talked to at the track. If you don't have any previous track experience I think you might be ok with just pads and fluid for a couple days. The stock calipers seem under sized for this car for track duty and the open diff with the tq vectoring just add to the problem. Also remember race pads are pretty noisy and dusty on the street.

I am only getting about 2-3 days out of my front carbotech x10 pads with ECS off and brake ducting. My calipers are no longer red and I had to rebuild the calipers a few times after melting the boots and inner seal. This seems similar to other people I have talked to at the track. If you don't have any previous track experience I think you might be ok with just pads and fluid for a couple days. The stock calipers seem under sized for this car for track duty and the open diff with the tq vectoring just add to the problem. Also remember race pads are pretty noisy and dusty on the street.
What brake ducting are you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk