Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

BBK: Wilwood vs. Stoptech vs. Brembo vs. Revo by alcon

Which BBK?

• Wilwood

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Brembo

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Stoptech

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Revo by alcon

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters

TDavis

1000 Post Club
I'm in a toss up.

Straight up. My car will be used as a street car and occasional track days. Not track day specific car but I'll still do a good amount of track days when I can.

To start off. I know the Brembo kit price is outrageous and its 10% of the car's value but its Brembo, you're going to pay for that.

I don't mind the Wilwood but there seems to be a 50/50 split with people who've had problems with them and others who have had no problem at all.

I know the Brembos...even the Revo's or Stoptechs are overkill for the street but if I'm saving up for any of those I might as well go Brembo as they're only $700 more then the Stoptechs and $500 more then the Revo's.

I know stock brakes are pretty adequate but lets be honest. Everyone likes to have BBK's.

I know the allure of the concept that if you are saving up for something, might as well spend allll the money and get something that is waaaaayy too expensive and unnecessary for 99.9% of the use it will ever be subjected to.

In all honesty, how many times have you already taken the car to the track? If the answer is less than 2, and a join date of nearly 1 year, odds are you aren't going to be a track-junkie with the car, ever. In that case, a simple brake fluid swap and metallic compound pads (Hawk HP+ seem to be a good go-to for our cars) will do the trick for a weekend every couple of months. You might want to swap rotors to some fresh ones after they begin to show signs of warping/heavy use (and they will, trust me).

It really depends on what you want to do with the car. If it is more of a toy or casual driver for you, then no one is going to tell you not to get the BBK. But if you are trying to use the car to advance your driving skills and ability, the money is better spent on stock pads/rotors, brake fluid, and track registrations.

That being said if you want aftermarket looks for OEM prices and matching/above oem performance you can always get some powerstop slotted and drilled rotors. I picked up the entire kit (K7002) with pads and SS lines (stoptech) for $340 shipped on rockauto...

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I have the Wilwoods on my summer-time DD FiST. I don't track much but I A/C quite a bit and have no complaints with the Wilwoods. The BP-10 pads are really dusty but seem to be wearing well enough and 22 fewer pounds of unsprung weight really made a difference in ride quality. I bought the drilled and slotted rotors because that's what was in stock but I wouldn't again.

me32

1000 Post Club
I say if your willing to spend the money go with the brembo. They have proven to be very reliable brake kits.

OP
TDavis

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
I know the allure of the concept that if you are saving up for something, might as well spend allll the money and get something that is waaaaayy too expensive and unnecessary for 99.9% of the use it will ever be subjected to.

In all honesty, how many times have you already taken the car to the track? If the answer is less than 2, and a join date of nearly 1 year, odds are you aren't going to be a track-junkie with the car, ever. In that case, a simple brake fluid swap and metallic compound pads (Hawk HP+ seem to be a good go-to for our cars) will do the trick for a weekend every couple of months. You might want to swap rotors to some fresh ones after they begin to show signs of warping/heavy use (and they will, trust me).

It really depends on what you want to do with the car. If it is more of a toy or casual driver for you, then no one is going to tell you not to get the BBK. But if you are trying to use the car to advance your driving skills and ability, the money is better spent on stock pads/rotors, brake fluid, and track registrations.

That being said if you want aftermarket looks for OEM prices and matching/above oem performance you can always get some powerstop slotted and drilled rotors. I picked up the entire kit (K7002) with pads and SS lines (stoptech) for $340 shipped on rockauto...
Thanks for the advice. I've only tracked it once and I am addicted to it but when I did that track day it was a nice brisk 60 degrees and the car was flawless. I haven't gone again yet because I am trying to prepare it for hot track days since I know stock rad is not adequate and depending on how much one person brakes the OEM brakes can fade. Even when it was going to be 60 degrees people told me to upgrade my pads and fluid but I had ZERO problems with the brakes. I have looked into other options as I know OEM brakes are really underrated for what they are and a good pad/fluid/cooling upgrade does them well. I haven't been on the track when its hot and with stock rad but I recently was doing some spirited driving with it being 95+ out and my coolant was rising above 240F and I was one bar away from full H, granted it went right down when I started cruising and letting off a bit but I know it was close to overheating. have the extra coin to spend on the Wilwood so its no issue. Its kind of a toy that'll see some hard time but not 100% be just a cruise around car.

Stoptech.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I've strongly considered these as well. A perk these have over others is I can get the calipers in blue. A downside that I don't want to deal with is needing a spacer to fit them under my wheels. Kinda petty reasons I know but if everyone is honest here apart of the reason we get BBKs is because they do look really nice under the wheels.

I've been running the Tarox 300mm daily - great kit
That is a kit I keep forgetting about.

Side note: ron, is it possible for you to maybe offer just the slotted rotors as an option for your WilWood front kit on your site? I think they're called the "Spec 37" rotors or something. I think 2jracing offers it.

I have the Wilwoods on my summer-time DD FiST. I don't track much but I A/C quite a bit and have no complaints with the Wilwoods. The BP-10 pads are really dusty but seem to be wearing well enough and 22 fewer pounds of unsprung weight really made a difference in ride quality. I bought the drilled and slotted rotors because that's what was in stock but I wouldn't again.
Yeah if I where to get the Wilwood kit it would have to be the blanks or the slotted versions.

I say if your willing to spend the money go with the brembo. They have proven to be very reliable brake kits.
In a perfect world I want to but I'm trying to not be so impulsive and go with something so overkill for the type of use my car will see. But you can never go overboard upgrading brakes. Its a safety item after all.

I think the best two choices would be WilWood or Stop-Tech (maybe Tarox but I have no experience with them so I can't vouch for them). I have the Stop-techs and let me tell you, they're awesome. I swap pads at the track to PFC 08 compound and just forget about it. I've done 8 track weekends on them (I think around 20 track days) and just got a crack big enough for me to want to change the rotor rings out (the pads are still at around 1/3 left which is astonishing). They are extremely beefy, take a hellova beating, and work time after time. I run in the upper intermediate classes and am quite hard on my brakes, so for them to last this long has really impressed me. Before the Stop-techs I was running the stock brakes and DTC-60s and killing a set of stock rotors in a weekend.

I've had more limited experience with the Wilwoods, but my brother (a Ford Field Service Engineer) runs the Wilwoods on his dedicated track car, and will be replacing them with Stop-techs this winter. In fairness, they have taken quite a beating with him, but he has to bleed is brakes every weekend and is running through rotors in two weekends. They just aren't as well made, which is reflected in the price and mass difference to the Stop-techs.

If you're easier on your brakes and won’t be going to 5,6,7 or 8 track weekends a year, I would probably lean more to the Wilwoods just for weight and cost savings. If you're going to be running frequently at tracks and want to have a dead reliable brake set-up that you can absolutely pound on, the Stop-techs are the way to go.

Shoot me a PM if you want and we can talk more, but that is my anecdotal experience and advice based off those experiences.[raceflag]

V_2

I've run the same Wilwood kit for 60k miles on two different cars without any issues. I started out with BP-20 pads, which are a great compromise pad for street/autox. But I stepped down to BP-10 to get better pad/rotor life, and they are also decent pads. I've always used solid rotors. I am on my third set of pads and second set of rotors. If you ever plan to track your car, I would look at a more beefy kit.

OP
TDavis

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
I think the best two choices would be WilWood or Stop-Tech (maybe Tarox but I have no experience with them so I can't vouch for them). I have the Stop-techs and let me tell you, they're awesome. I swap pads at the track to PFC 08 compound and just forget about it. I've done 8 track weekends on them (I think around 20 track days) and just got a crack big enough for me to want to change the rotor rings out (the pads are still at around 1/3 left which is astonishing). They are extremely beefy, take a hellova beating, and work time after time. I run in the upper intermediate classes and am quite hard on my brakes, so for them to last this long has really impressed me. Before the Stop-techs I was running the stock brakes and DTC-60s and killing a set of stock rotors in a weekend.

I've had more limited experience with the Wilwoods, but my brother (a Ford Field Service Engineer) runs the Wilwoods on his dedicated track car, and will be replacing them with Stop-techs this winter. In fairness, they have taken quite a beating with him, but he has to bleed is brakes every weekend and is running through rotors in two weekends. They just aren't as well made, which is reflected in the price and mass difference to the Stop-techs.

If you're easier on your brakes and won’t be going to 5,6,7 or 8 track weekends a year, I would probably lean more to the Wilwoods just for weight and cost savings. If you're going to be running frequently at tracks and want to have a dead reliable brake set-up that you can absolutely pound on, the Stop-techs are the way to go.

Shoot me a PM if you want and we can talk more, but that is my anecdotal experience and advice based off those experiences.[raceflag]
What wheel setup are you running with your Stoptechs and do you have spacers? My issue with those is I don't want to have to run a small spacer. I know it depends on the wheels design. For reference I have the 17x8 38mm offset TD Pro Race 1.2s and the only other person who has posted caliper clearance pics with the Stoptechs has the 17" OZ Leggendas. Which is a much different wheel design then most.

What wheel setup are you running with your Stoptechs and do you have spacers? My issue with those is I don't want to have to run a small spacer. I know it depends on the wheels design. For reference I have the 17x8 38mm offset TD Pro Race 1.2s and the only other person who has posted caliper clearance pics with the Stoptechs has the 17" OZ Leggendas. Which is a much different wheel design then most.
I'm running the Rota Grid 17x8 with a 40mm offset. They clear, but not by much. I might throw on a 2 or 3mm spacer just for piece of mind, but I haven't had anything go wrong with them thus far.

OP
TDavis

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
I'm running the Rota Grid 17x8 with a 40mm offset. They clear, but not by much. I might throw on a 2 or 3mm spacer just for piece of mind, but I haven't had anything go wrong with them thus far.
Mind posting pics of your setup if you get a chance? I would think they would clear my setup. The Leggenda is a special kind of wheel and I have a lower(ish) offset then most.

Mind posting pics of your setup if you get a chance? I would think they would clear my setup. The Leggenda is a special kind of wheel and I have a lower(ish) offset then most.
Yeah - I can take some pics when I get back from work today and throw them up here.

One thing to mention too is the pedal feel w/ the Stop-techs is 10000000x better then the stockers. Because the fixed caliper doesn't flex nearly as much as a single sliding, you get an immedate responce from the brakes. 0 dead space and the harder you push, the more your eyeballs are sucked from their sockets. Its awesome [thumb]

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
My Vette has about 5mm clearance to the caliper. My Sentra SE-R with 4-piston 300ZX brakes has about 2mm clearance. The wheels are rigid and it's a complete non-issue. I certainly wouldn't add spacers if you don't have an interference fit.

I run Stoptech on anything I go aftermarket. Brembo is great but you're paying for the name.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Here are some shots of the calipers and rims. It actually looks like I might have slight grazed the caliper with the rotor. I'll probably be ordering that spacer tonight! Also, yes, I know I know the rim is curbed to hell.... perks of letting the lady drive/park your car in a major city [?|]

OP
TDavis

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #16
Sweet jesus that is tight. Have yet to see something with TD's try that BBK so it should be interesting if I end up with Stoptech. BTW where did you end up getting your kit from?

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
that is tight but i still wouldn't worry about it. you should see some of the Porsches and BMWs and Ferraris these days. they are just as tight as yours. btw, those Stoptechs look AWESOME. you look like you easily have 3-4mm clearance. i wouldn't sweat it.

I'm in a toss up.....

….I know stock brakes are pretty adequate but lets be honest. Everyone likes to have BBK's.
If you decide on the StopTech, shoot me a PM. I have a set still new in the box(es) I'll sell you for cheap (relatively). I'm not really pushing them as the guy who bought my 2014 FiST wants them, but he has no money...

>>>>>>>>> SOLD! <<<<<<<<<<<

Last edited: