Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

BBK: Wilwood vs. Stoptech vs. Brembo vs. Revo by alcon

Which BBK?

• Wilwood

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Brembo

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Stoptech

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Revo by alcon

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
OP
TDavis

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #21
If you decide on the StopTech, shoot me a PM. I have a set still new in the box(es) I'll sell you for cheap (relatively). I'm not really pushing them as the guy who bought my 2014 FiST wants them, but he has no money...
What color calipers? And what style rotor?(slotted, blank)

Last edited:
OP
TDavis

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #23
Red of course, with slotted rotors.
As much as I want blue calipers its always been a 50/50 toss up between if I wanted red or blue so if the price is right I'd be 100% down for that.

OP
TDavis

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #24
Here are some shots of the calipers and rims. It actually looks like I might have slight grazed the caliper with the rotor. I'll probably be ordering that spacer tonight! Also, yes, I know I know the rim is curbed to hell.... perks of letting the lady drive/park your car in a major city [?|]

Found a template Stoptech makes that I'm going to print out to check caliper clearance. Hopefully all is good. My wheels are 8" wide so I'd highly prefer not to need spacers because then it'll poke.

Keep it stock and get some race pads for track day. Spend your $$ on other things like learning to drive better (that always pays off more in the end).

Keep it stock and get some race pads for track day. Spend your $$ on other things like learning to drive better (that always pays off more in the end).
I'm running Carbotech XP8s all around with SS lines and Castrol SRF and I'm still struggling with a soft and inconsistent pedal. It seems like most folks are "okay" with a mostly stock setup but once you really start pushing you WILL find the limits of the system. I'm really interested in getting a BBK at this point but only if it's a full on race quality kit and not something just for show.

I think the best two choices would be WilWood or Stop-Tech (maybe Tarox but I have no experience with them so I can't vouch for them). I have the Stop-techs and let me tell you, they're awesome. I swap pads at the track to PFC 08 compound and just forget about it. I've done 8 track weekends on them (I think around 20 track days) and just got a crack big enough for me to want to change the rotor rings out (the pads are still at around 1/3 left which is astonishing). They are extremely beefy, take a hellova beating, and work time after time. I run in the upper intermediate classes and am quite hard on my brakes, so for them to last this long has really impressed me. Before the Stop-techs I was running the stock brakes and DTC-60s and killing a set of stock rotors in a weekend.

I've had more limited experience with the Wilwoods, but my brother (a Ford Field Service Engineer) runs the Wilwoods on his dedicated track car, and will be replacing them with Stop-techs this winter. In fairness, they have taken quite a beating with him, but he has to bleed is brakes every weekend and is running through rotors in two weekends. They just aren't as well made, which is reflected in the price and mass difference to the Stop-techs.

If you're easier on your brakes and wonā€™t be going to 5,6,7 or 8 track weekends a year, I would probably lean more to the Wilwoods just for weight and cost savings. If you're going to be running frequently at tracks and want to have a dead reliable brake set-up that you can absolutely pound on, the Stop-techs are the way to go.

Shoot me a PM if you want and we can talk more, but that is my anecdotal experience and advice based off those experiences.[raceflag]
How's the pedal firmness with the Stoptech setup? What about feedback? My pedal is like a bowl of peanut butter. :(

How's the pedal firmness with the Stoptech setup? What about feedback? My pedal is like a bowl of peanut butter. :(
Funny you ask... this past weekend I just swapped my winter wheels/tires which are 15 inch rims/tires, so I have to use the stock brakes. So I just switched back to the Stop Techs over the weekend with performance summer tires and.... oh my god they are so much better. The pedal travel is practically 0 vs. the stock set up (I use SS brake lines on both set ups). My guess is because of the added rigidity of fixed calipers (Stop Techs) vs sliding calipers (stock), but its such an amazing and immediately noticeable difference.

On the street I run just a regular street compound (PFC Z-rated) and even with just those the thing stops on a dime. With the PFC 08s swapped in, its even better.

The 08s are great for pedal feel, but some knock them for having a relatively low bit vs. other race compounds. I find it perfect for the FiST because with the Stop Techs, it really doesn't need a whole lot of bit to stop and stop hard. Plus, they last forever and are nice to the rotors. Win, win, win in my book.

The pedal travel is practically 0 vs. the stock set up (I use SS brake lines on both set ups). My guess is because of the added rigidity of fixed calipers (Stop Techs) vs sliding calipers (stock), but its such an amazing and immediately noticeable difference.
That sounds amazing. I drive on the track pretty hard and I've tried everything I can think of to improve pedal feel but I'm afraid a BBK will be the only way out of my personal peanut butter pedal hell. I agree, I think the fixed calipers are a huge factor.

That sounds amazing. I drive on the track pretty hard and I've tried everything I can think of to improve pedal feel but I'm afraid a BBK will be the only way out of my personal peanut butter pedal hell. I agree, I think the fixed calipers are a huge factor.
I had the same problems. I tried to run DTC-60s and brake cooling ducts with the stock brakes, but was still getting inconsistent pedal length/feel. Stop techs had been dead reliable since I got them. Bleed them every event and swap for track pads and you're good to go.