Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

17x8 Konig Hypergrams Nitto Neo Gen 215/40/17

17x8 +40 offset 16.4 lbs 215/40/17 Nitto Neo Gens. 7.5 lbs lighter per corner. Cannot find details of how wide the tread width and section width is. Inflated width is 8.86 inches. 23.8 inch diameter. 280 treadwear.. A pretty wide tire for a 215, barely any stretch at all, could just about be called “squared”. Michelin PS4AS 205/40/17 23.5 diameter on stock wheels was my previous setup. Suspension is Bilstien shocks with Mountune spring. -1.6 of negative camber in the front. No official measurements but my guess with the combination of the shocks and springs it probably sits about 0.8 of an inch lower than stock. Slight rub in the front under big dips with steering angle if you’re really cooking it. About 2,000 miles driven on this setup in Northern California with condition ranging from 80s to mid 30s. Dry/Damp/wet/standing water.
Comfort-
Slightly nicer ride quality with the Added 4mm of sidewall and probably also due the the tire design.
Quieter it seems that the Michelin PSA4 I had on the stock wheels.
Dry performance-
Grippier than the Michelin’s, maybe slightly less feedback though. Good 40 minute moderately hard mountain runs until it seemed like the tires were dropping off in performance. First gear is still pretty useless. Second gear can get a lil bit of tire chirp flooring it from 2,400 rpm’s on my stratified tune peaking at 25psi at 2,600rpms. When the tire is properly warm no chirps in rolling on in second. Noticeable drop off in performance in the 30 f temps
Wet-
Haven’t got to push it hard yet, just a couple sharp on ramps turns with temps in the high 40s and tires handle surprising well, lift of oversteer is predictable and the limit on how hot you can come in before you begin to induce understeer is surprising high! Really surprised how well it came to a stop when doing a wet 55 down to 10mph test. A good amount of wheel spin flooring it in second. When you flip to the economy tune (16psi) you can floor it 2nd all the way through 4th. Again, noticeable drop off in performance in the 30 f temps.
Standing water-
Highway driving with 1-3 inches of standing water wasn’t terrible with hydroplaning, but I also would say it was definitely nog the tires strong suit.
Snow/ Ice-
Cannot speak on the area, I have no plans to try this setup out in snowy or icy conditions.

Bottom line-
Fitment wise, a good setup for someone on stock suspension or stock ride height. Unless you can stomach the occasional rub lowered. Pretty wide tire for 215s.
Good all around tire summer focused all season but not necessarily a stand out performer in any category. IMO from the experience I’ve gathered a slightly more capable tire the the PS4AS in summer dry and not cold conditions. Also tire and wheel sized to be accounted for.
The bad with going with this sizing-
When doing the 17x8 215/40 fitment, your tire selection is severely limited to essentially 200tw aggressive summer tires or for all season tires Neo gens and other bargains tires but no outright stand out UHP AS selection.
My personal buyers remorse-
I wish wrapped these Hypergrams with 215/40/17 Falken RT615+ And slotted this setup as my summer/track. Don’t think there would be as much rub, hopefully no rub at all with the Falkens as they’re known to run a little narrower for 215 tires. The result will also be a bit more of a stretch look than the Nittos. Not ideal but if it rewards me with less rub I’m good for it.
My Plan-
Going to get 205/45/17 Verdestien winter performance tires for the stock wheels for the occasional snow travels and cold weather fun from late November- mid February.
I will run this Neo Gens out and maybe do some auto cross to speed up the life of these tires and then replace them with Falken rt615+ 215/40 tires on my 17x8 Hypergrams and have than be my light summer and track use setup
Would eventually like to get Konig Lockouts 16x7.5 and wrap them in 205/45 BFGoodrich Sport Comp AS 2 tires as my primary setup to replace the role the Neo Gen and Hypergrams are playing. I think the BFGoodrich’s will outperform the Nittos in every fascist. Theorizing the overall lower diameter (23.3) and narrower width setup will feel peppier in street driving/auto cross scenarios. This setup would only be about 1 lb heavier per corner than the hypergrams. Still over 6 lbs lighter than stock.

BB3E5839-AE64-4635-87E5-F4B6C78CB4E4.jpeg 764CC4A4-4BB7-4A58-ABF3-846C80DD1396.jpeg BB3E5839-AE64-4635-87E5-F4B6C78CB4E4.jpeg

Attachments

I'm running Falken ZIEX ZES960 205/40/R17 on stock rims all seasons for the colder months in November-April here in New England and had the Firestone 500s for the good weather and some track use. The Falkens did amazing last winter getting me up snow and ice covers hills with little drama. They are snow rated unlike many A/S tires and frigging pricy. I'm gonna keep them on through till next winter and order up a set of steelies with true snow and ice tires for some fun next winter. Ride comfort and noise isn't bad and they grip like its their job in the heavy rain. My Firestones are however thrashed and damn near evenly bald at this point lol glad they came off last week.

Mikey456

I like my Dunlop Direzza z3 215/40 17 I got it on my OEM wheels, so I think they run pretty narrow. I ran the Falkens RT615 before and they don’t last long enough for me. The Dunlops have last 10k so far but I’m doing more daily driving and less canyon driving. The Falkens did not last that long. The Dunlop’s have good grip but probably will not give you the best time at the track.

OP
J_bays
Thread Starter #4
I like my Dunlop Direzza z3 215/40 17 I got it on my OEM wheels, so I think they run pretty narrow. I ran the Falkens RT615 before and they don’t last long enough for me. The Dunlops have last 10k so far but I’m doing more daily driving and less canyon driving. The Falkens did not last that long. The Dunlop’s have good grip but probably will not give you the best time at the track.
I see on tire rack that the Direzza z3 has a wide tread width but a smaller section width. Might be a good tire option when I get serious about track times! The RT615 will be the first tire I track the car on so I don’t mind some lower levels of grip so I can really play with balance of the car without feeling completely glued down if that makes any sense. Not the first time I’ve read someone comment on the lack of longevity out of the RT615s but I rationalize that to myself being the $135 per tire price tag. The Direzza z3s being $210 a tire I would image them being a better performer and last a bit longer. Too me the way I look at with tires after blowing through $850 Michelin PS4AS tires in about 8,000 miles through winter and done for by fall the following year, I am willing to sacrifice a theoretic 5% decrease in performance if it means I’m spending 30% less. The way I drive on the type of roads I drive on just eats up tires.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Direzza’s are pretty decent tire they are like one step below the RT660’s which outgrip 888r‘s and are pretty close to the penultimate RE71’s and A052’s but will last longer than both .

615’s at this point in time are old tire tech and waste of money in my opinion. Though the Direzza’s will outlast all of them just will less grip like I mentioned but still pretty good.
I do love my RT660’s though they are a great track and canyon tire but also can pull double duty as daily tires and the g😃rip/ stick is just insane.