Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Need Input/Help on Upgrading Transmission

O'Heyy,

I have a few questions about upgrading my FiST's transmission's internals. I am attempting to beef up the transmission so that it can handle approx 400bhp. I am looking at the Quaife ATB but I do not know enough about what I need so that I feel comfortable purchasing any parts yet. I currently have a Core that I had to replace back in January laying around that I would have a transmission shop refresh/improve and eventually install on my car.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Poodles

P.S. This is my first post on this site, even though I have been creeping on it since I bought my FiST in 2015

OP
P
Thread Starter #3
I was thinking the Mountune LSD, but what is the difference between an LSD and Quaife?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
I was thinking the Mountune LSD, but what is the difference between an LSD and Quaife?

The M-Factory LSD will handle you power level. It's basically a Quaife but in a different brand. Like Powerade vs Gatorade. We offer the M-Factory LSD and the Brutus of diffs the KaaZ for a true track monster. Don't forget the Ford installation kit also available on our site.

Let me know if you have any questions.

GAbOS

What types of lsd is each? Clutch or torson. And how many packs if clutch?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

GAbOS

12.. wow! Wonder at what torque it starts locking at. Thanks for the info, Ron!

For the ones that don't understand..

Clutch packs have to be replaced over time, torsens have nothing to replace other than fluid. Both will have to be rebuilt eventually. You can play with torque locking in torsens with fluids but clutch based you either add or remove clutch 'packs'.

Torsens are generally more expensive on initial purchase.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
12.. wow! Wonder at what torque it starts locking at. Thanks for the info, Ron!

For the ones that don't understand..

Clutch packs have to be replaced over time, torsens have nothing to replace other than fluid. Both will have to be rebuilt eventually. You can play with torque locking in torsens with fluids but clutch based you either add or remove clutch 'packs'.

Torsens are generally more expensive on initial purchase.

In some cases, even by changing the material composition of the clutch packs, one can 'play' with the bias/torque locking points of clutch pack type diffs. ;)

GAbOS

In some cases, even by changing the material composition of the clutch packs, one can 'play' with the bias/torque locking points of clutch pack type diffs. ;)
This is why I threw the rebuild term in there with emphasis on the clutch based systems. I tried to do high level. [emoji6]

OP
P
Thread Starter #12
It's a long term project. I am actually going to stay within the 290 fwhp, but if I build something I don't want to go back and rebuild. Especially because I have a core lying around
So where are you getting the 400bhp?

I didn’t realize the factory transmission can’t handle 400HP. What power level is the stock transmission failing at?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Poodles is only talking about adding a limited slip diff to the transaxle, NOT 'going through' the whole thing with upgraded/strengthened/heat treated/micro-polished gear clusters and shafts, etc. ;)

There are some on here who HAVE pushed close to 400 WHP through these IB6 'boxes with no ill effects, even with the factory clutch!! [crazyeye]

OP
P
Thread Starter #15
I am looking at having a transmission shop pull apart the transmission and redo the entire thing from the ground up. But I don't have any idea what gears/gear forks/synchros to purchase for the overhaul.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I am looking at having a transmission shop pull apart the transmission and redo the entire thing from the ground up. But I don't have any idea what gears/gear forks/synchros to purchase for the overhaul.

With OEM/factory ONLY parts, or upgraded, stronger material, micro-polished parts??

Jerickson88

It’s just not needed. Build the motor, make the power, and when it fails go from there. I wouldn’t tear into a transmission unless it was trashed.

Trash it, then clean up the mess.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
...or just get a sequential which is rated for the power you are making, but which you will have to rebuild anyway every 5K-15k miles. [:(]