Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Shifter Extension

I'm new to the group and looking for a shifter extension. I see most people are using the DHM angled shifter extension but their out of business now. Does anyone know of another good company to use?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm new to the group and looking for a shifter extension. I see most people are using the DHM angled shifter extension but their out of business now. Does anyone know of another good company to use?
I have one from Mojo manufacturing its angled...if your interested PM me.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

anticon

I have one from Mojo manufacturing its angled...if your interested PM me.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
I second the Mojo recommendation. It doesn't look like he has them in stock though. You can also check ebay his username is mojomfg. You can even see how he makes them on his youtube channel. Here is a link to a pic of my setup.

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/6058-Let-s-see-your-shift-knobs!?p=309846&viewfull=1#post309846

anticon

What’s the purpose of a shifter extension?
It's to raise the position of the shift knob. Personally it was one of my main gripes about the Fiesta, the shift knob was just too low for where my hand naturally wanted to land. I installed a short shift adapter at the same time, so that I didn't add to much more throw. However, I think it did increase the amount of slop, so I am looking at replacing the bushings now to hopefully tighten it up.

Jerickson88

It's to raise the position of the shift knob. Personally it was one of my main gripes about the Fiesta, the shift knob was just too low for where my hand naturally wanted to land. I installed a short shift adapter at the same time, so that I didn't add to much more throw. However, I think it did increase the amount of slop, so I am looking at replacing the bushings now to hopefully tighten it up.

10-4. I thought it was a cosmetic thing.

I had several cars back in the day with the B&M short shifters and ended up reverting to stock with a new bushing or making some kind of an adjustment and stock knob. Mine is how it left Ford. I may get one to try, it’s nice to know there’s options!

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I might have to get one - I know this is probably a weird thing to ask, but with the shifter extension can you shift using your upper arm/shoulders a bit more than moving your wrist and forearm to do it? My arm is a piece of junk but I don't want to have to stop driving stick for my DD

Woods247

2000 Post Club
I might have to get one - I know this is probably a weird thing to ask, but with the shifter extension can you shift using your upper arm/shoulders a bit more than moving your wrist and forearm to do it? My arm is a piece of junk but I don't want to have to stop driving stick for my DD
With mine, definitely yes. I have a longer 3” version if you’d like to try it. PM me if you are interested.

Edit: Here is a pic of the 3” for comparison. It’s pretty tall but the throw isn’t terrible. I do not have a short shifter.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
10-4. I thought it was a cosmetic thing.

I had several cars back in the day with the B&M short shifters and ended up reverting to stock with a new bushing or making some kind of an adjustment and stock knob. Mine is how it left Ford. I may get one to try, it’s nice to know there’s options!
It is also used to reduce the distance (and therefore TIME spent for the actual shift) between the steering wheel and shifter, especially useful for those open tracking/autocrossing their cars.

(WHY you see such HIGH shifter sticks on floor/tunnel mounted mechanism sequential shifted cars which still require such as per their rules, over steering wheel mounted 'paddle' shifters; i.e.; World/Global/American Rallycross, R2 WRC, etc. [wink])

Last edited:

anticon

Maybe. I think by raising the knob you probably get a slightly better angle at your elbow and a straighter forearm and wrist position which could potentially eliminate some fatigue. I am comparing this to office ergonomics where you want your elbow bent about 90 degrees. I tend to shift with the knob in my hand like a baseball, with the top of the knob at the base of my index and middle finger. I shift pretty stiff wristed so I actually started leaving the arm rest up because my elbow kept hitting it. The whole arrangement feels much more natural, if I could have lowered the Recaros more I may not have had to raise the shifter.

anticon

It is also used to reduce the distance (and therefore TIME spent for the actual shift) between the steering wheel and shifter, especially useful for those open tracking/autocrossing their cars.

(WHY you see such HIGH shifter sticks on floor/tunnel mounted mechanism sequential shifted cars which still require such over steering wheel mounted 'paddle' shifters; i.e.; World/Global/American Rallycross, R2 WRC, etc. [wink])
Agreed, also have to take into account the throw of this shifter, which is why I went with the extension and a short shift kit at the same time.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thanks for the feedback, I'll look into the options and give it a shot. I might just ask my brother to lathe me something that I can use to test before ordering something nice.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Maybe. I think by raising the knob you probably get a slightly better angle at your elbow and a straighter forearm and wrist position which could potentially eliminate some fatigue. I am comparing this to office ergonomics where you want your elbow bent about 90 degrees. I tend to shift with the knob in my hand like a baseball, with the top of the knob at the base of my index and middle finger. I shift pretty stiff wristed so I actually started leaving the arm rest up because my elbow kept hitting it. The whole arrangement feels much more natural, if I could have lowered the Recaros more I may not have had to raise the shifter.
gotcha. I have to kinda pistol-grip the shifter or my hand comes off it too easily. I need a super tall old school pistol grip shifter :D had one in a plymouth duster. So stupid and so awesome. I was joking with my friend that if I want to keep driving a manual I'm going to have to put velcro on my shifter and wear a felt glove lol