Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Safe aftermarket LED headlight bulb info, finds and discussion

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Can someone please confirm/clarify? Also, what's the difference? Thanks!
Two things to realize this is a comical line in the first ones description”3D SURROUND STEREO COOLING SYSTEM“ :ROFLMAO: Stereo cooling and 3D surround is BS there is no such thing as stereo cooling. Stereo and Surround are audio terms for stuff in audio. They do not apply in a cooling terms. :ROFLMAO:

That aside the supposed newer ones in the second link do not fit our headlight cases unless you trim them. Its actually posted by another FiST owner in the reviews Though he also calls his Orange Spice FiST a 2016:rolleyes::LOL:.
So ya the first link will probably work but that second link the bulb is too large for our headlights unless you want to do fun with dremel tools:ROFLMAO:

Two things to realize this is a comical line in the first ones description”3D SURROUND STEREO COOLING SYSTEM“ :ROFLMAO: Stereo cooling and 3D surround is BS there is no such thing as stereo cooling. Stereo and Surround are audio terms for stuff in audio. They do not apply in a cooling terms. :ROFLMAO:

That aside the supposed newer ones in the second link do not fit our headlight cases unless you trim them. Its actually posted by another FiST owner in the reviews Though he also calls his Orange Spice FiST a 2016:rolleyes::LOL:.
So ya the first link will probably work but that second link the bulb is too large for our headlights unless you want to do fun with dremel tools:ROFLMAO:
Thanks Dpro! I saw the post about fitment of the second linked pair and nowhere on either does it say 'gen 2'. I guess I just instinctively ignore that marketing BS. It is quite comical though. I wonder how many people crank their stereo systems and put their ears to their new bulbs. :p

I bought the ones in the first link so I guess I'll be good.

Thanks. The one I linked, according to the link in the OP and BulbFacts, is the GEN2.

The one @Late Call linked is, according to BulbFacts, a GEN1.

The first post seems to recommend the GEN2, but the last few posts suggest the GEN1 to be a better fit. There's some mention of a bigger boot like this maybe fitting bigger ones: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073QPGZ92

The general consensus I see here is that GEN1 fits best...correct? Based on that, it's cheaper price, and BulbFacts rating it better is there any reason to consider the GEN2?

--Matt

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Thanks. The one I linked, according to the link in the OP and BulbFacts, is the GEN2.

The first post seems to recommend the GEN2, but the last few posts suggest the GEN1 to be a better fit. There's some mention of a bigger boot like this maybe fitting bigger ones: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073QPGZ92

The general consensus I see here is that GEN1 fits best...correct? Based on that, it's cheaper price, and BulbFacts rating it better is there any reason to consider the GEN2?

--Matt
I would say no.

--Matt
Sorry for the confusion, I thought I had bought gen2. However, I can confirm the version i linked to are true plug and play without any fitment issues & trimming needed. It was as easy as replacing the old bulb with a new one.

No worries. I've had both in my cart for days and think today's discussions have lead me the same way as you. :)

Put on my Techmax GEN1s today. They went in pretty easily. We get so much road salt and gross weather here that I didn't wanna go dustcapless, so I snagged the 85mm ones in the OP and was able to make em work. They do not fit as they arrive, but once the inner lip is trimmed off with scissors they fit snugly and leave a nice huge some behind the bulbs for the fans to make use of.

It's daytime but, so far looking at them in my garage, they don't seem to need to be re-aimed. They're in-line with where my MINI's LED projectors hit, which is probably higher than most, so I may bump em down a touch once I've got a good chance in the dark.

Attachments

I lined it up beside my wife's Golf R (which has a comparatively low cutoff) and they did look a touch high.
PXL_20210215_004428176.jpg

I opted to split the difference and things seem like a fair compromise.
PXL_20210215_005001729.jpg

I stood out front and confirmed, visually, that it really doesn't glare until my eyes were below the cutoff.

The difference really cannot be understated. It is a massive upgrade over the awful halogens. That Golf has decent LEDs (good, not great) and the reflectors with Techmax bulbs really fare well, when comparing them on a drive through a part of our town with no street lights.

Thanks all! Hopefully this'll be good enough to stave off the desire for projectors. 😎

--Matt

DBLE

Pulled the trigger and installed some Gen 1 TECHMAX headlight bulbs on my 2015. What an upgrade! However, I did have to trim the passenger-side headlight housing (with small garden shears and a knife no less :D). Not sure how some didn't have to trim but no way no how it would've fit otherwise. And thanks to @jeff for his headlight install video. It has been awhile since I've removed my headlights, so his video provided a good refresher. 👍

proxst

Unfortunately I can confirm that Amazon is right, and the Techmax Gen 2s do NOT fit 2019 USDM housings without modification. @danbfree, can you please edit your main post warning about this?

Overall not terribly thrilled about the design of these lamps, fitment issues aside. Turns out that they have a ratchet mechanism that allows them to be rotated to any angle, and it is secured by a tiny set screw located UNDER the inner rubber gasket. One of mine was completely loose upon opening and I had to find a 1.3(?)mm hex wrench to tighten it down so I could even install the damn thing.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Unfortunately I can confirm that Amazon is right, and the Techmax Gen 2s do NOT fit 2019 USDM housings without modification. @danbfree, can you please edit your main post warning about this?

Overall not terribly thrilled about the design of these lamps, fitment issues aside. Turns out that they have a ratchet mechanism that allows them to be rotated to any angle, and it is secured by a tiny set screw located UNDER the inner rubber gasket. One of mine was completely loose upon opening and I had to find a 1.3(?)mm hex wrench to tighten it down so I could even install the damn thing.
Techmax Gen1 fit perfect* FYI I see the Gen2 have a wider base. Buy Gen 1s. They worked great in my FiST and in my Battleaxes Mazda Cx3 with projector style headlamp assemblies.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Hi guys, just got a new to me 2017 Fist ! I had a 2015 I sold long time ago and now back! Been picking up a bunch of parts recommended from this forum! For any folks wondering the dimensional diff between the Gen1 mini vs Gen2 min, I ordered both. I hope this helps. I'll document all other parts I'm also putting in on different threads, super excited to be back!

Attachments

Hi guys, just got a new to me 2017 Fist ! I had a 2015 I sold long time ago and now back! Been picking up a bunch of parts recommended from this forum! For any folks wondering the dimensional diff between the Gen1 mini vs Gen2 min, I ordered both. I hope this helps. I'll document all other parts I'm also putting in on different threads, super excited to be back!
Those are H11s and will definitely fit the fog lamps regardless of which type you choose. Looking forward to photos of the result!

Thanks so much! Glad to see the forum has expanded and so many more parts vendors! Quick question for the orientation of the bulb is the notch facing up or down? Thanks guy!

Those are H11s and will definitely fit the fog lamps regardless of which type you choose. Looking forward to photos of the result!

Thanks so much! Glad to see the forum has expanded and so many more parts vendors! Quick question for the orientation of the bulb is the notch facing up or down? Thanks guy!
The notches will prevent you from inserting in the wrong position. Just make sure you don't force it in and as long as the notches align, it should be easy to insert the bulb and then just twist to lock.

The notches will prevent you from inserting in the wrong position. Just make sure you don't force it in and as long as the notches align, it should be easy to insert the bulb and then just twist to lock.
Ahh sorry for the confusion, I mean the design notch where the LED sits, should the v looking be facing up or down or does it matter? Thx guys!

Attachments