Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Safe aftermarket LED headlight bulb info, finds and discussion

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #141
dang it those look better lol. Yet another order canceled. I guess I am getting my moneys worth this week on Prime. I will get some measurements and an install video of the Hikari this weekend.
Glad I could help you cancel 2 orders! LOL - But yeah, those look damn good, I think I'll get them for the fogs too, I'm also looking at whole replacement assemblies as the stock ones suck

And thanks in advance for the Morimoto info, I'm definitely interested in getting a good set to be done with all the experimenting! :)

DBLE

Just ordered these to go along with the Hikaris: Alla Lighting Super Bright H11 LED Fog Lights 2000 Lumens High Power 3030-SMD LED H1... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N67FMQ5/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_38hIBbW356D12

Gotta cut through all of that AZ fog lol
Those are what I use, and then I modded my fogs to be on all the time regardless. So far so good. Very happy with them. No complaints. Also, great vid on the LED headlight bubs. Thanks for posting it. Makes me want to buy a set!

redmoe

Those are what I use, and then I modded my fogs to be on all the time regardless. So far so good. Very happy with them. No complaints. Also, great vid on the LED headlight bubs. Thanks for posting it. Makes me want to buy a set!
Thanks for the complement and fog bulb info. I added a second video detailing a correction to the clocking of the bulb. Will also have a video of the beam pattern at night in a few hours.

ROCKYFiestta

great video buddy [like][wrenchin]

hopefully you like the hikari lights they look great on your car and i am glad you did the tape cutoff it was just impossible for to do it at the slope my property is.

redmoe

It may get a little warm depending how much the voltage is being knocked down by the regular but is should be ok. There were no fins or a real heat sink that alone leads me to believe it won’t get too hot. These are not ballast modules like on a HID system.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #154
Nice job and thanks for the video!

Do you think it would be better to keep the capacitor or whatever on the outside of the headlight considering how hot it can get?
Personally I would keep the driver module outside the housing, but instead I simply don't use a rear cover so that there is plenty of air flow... but another idea is t cut very small channels into a read cover and run the driver module outside and hanging down a bit to stay cool... LED's are susceptible to dimming with heat, so consider options to keep your housing temps down.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
These are the very light red MAGTRS from back on page 4 right? Let us know how many days it takes altogether and of course pics of the final product!
That is correct....I also bought some for the fog lights just for shits....ill do a night time comparison wit the xenondeopt h11 and their fogs vs. the MAGTRS....as soon as they get here! [popcorn]

redmoe

Personally I would keep the driver module outside the housing, but instead I simply don't use a rear cover so that there is plenty of air flow... but another idea is t cut very small channels into a read cover and run the driver module outside and hanging down a bit to stay cool... LED's are susceptible to dimming with heat, so consider options to keep your housing temps down.
Based on the design of the Hikari the “driver” modules they just provide fan control and voltage conversion/regulation. The “driver” chassis design does not indicate that there will be substantial heat dissipation needed. Also this is a low voltage DC system I doubt there is enough power dissipation to create a significant heat source. Especially when you consider the volume of the headlight assembly and that the bulb itself has a well designed fan/heat sink. Since the headlight assembly is subjected to engine bay heat leaving the back open may not present much of a temperature drop as the is no cool air source near by. To understand the pros/cons we really need to understand the running temp of the bulb assembly, temp of the “driver” and local ambient temps.

I will try to get some heat measurements of the bulb and driver tonight. I personally like having the headlight assembly sealed up from the outside environments.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #159
Based on the design of the Hikari the “driver” modules they just provide fan control and voltage conversion/regulation. The “driver” chassis design does not indicate that there will be substantial heat dissipation needed. Also this is a low voltage DC system I doubt there is enough power dissipation to create a significant heat source. Especially when you consider the volume of the headlight assembly and that the bulb itself has a well designed fan/heat sink. Since the headlight assembly is subjected to engine bay heat leaving the back open may not present much of a temperature drop as the is no cool air source near by. To understand the pros/cons we really need to understand the running temp of the bulb assembly, temp of the “driver” and local ambient temps.

I will try to get some heat measurements of the bulb and driver tonight. I personally like having the headlight assembly sealed up from the outside environments.
The drivers for the DSWO's I got for the fogs (and now have sitting after a full refund for going out of synch), well the driver modules got hot as hell... but likely because they were garbage to begin with. BUT, the oEdRo's I'm running for headlights right now don't seem to get as hot and I have them tucked away in the housing, with no rear covers. I'll have to consider how hot the MAXGTRS get, that's something we'll have [MENTION=3563]TyphoonFiST[/MENTION] maybe check for me... I'd love to get the Hikari and be done with it, but for 1/3rd the price I'm likely going to have to settle for the MAXGTRS, if I even switch in the near future... With LED not taking a lot of power there is still heat loss involved in the conversion, but ifthe total wattage pull is less than halogen we should be fine anyway, even if they are more sensitive to dimming with heat.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
If its any consolation.....I have been running XENONDEPOT H11 LEDs and they utilize a aluminum ribbon and I have tucked them into the housing and closed them up....No issues to be reported or failure and its been over a year on their Gen 2 Extreme H11 LED bulbs.