Welcome to Fiesta ST Forum, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3335363738394041424344 LastLast
    Senior Member 323 Rep Points danbfree's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 1000 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points Earned First 1500 Posts and 300 Rep Points
    State
    OR
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by jfv302 View Post
    pics of the morimoto 2stroke 2.0.

i just replaced one of the bulbs with a techmax bulb. side by side you can tell it’s bluer then the morimoto, but not by much imo. it’s essientally the same size as well, the heat sink might be .5-1mm wider, but it’s such a small difference, and there’s more then enough clearance in the housing that it doesn’t matter. the beam pattern looks better and there is less of the kaleidoscope effect. i’ll get a few pics tomorrow.
    Thanks for sharing! As far as width, yeah, we know that the Morimoto are only 27mm wide and the TechMax are 30mm wide and both fit just fine. 32mm wide is the limit and will BARELY fit without trimming if the heatsink is longer than 35mm or so, if shorter then they will fit within the housing and width is not an issue, this is the case with the other 4 out of 5 in the BulbFacts Amazon top 5 ... I'm glad to hear I'm not crazy and we are seeing that the TechMax actually work better for our car, other than the bluer output, as they are 4100 lux and the Morimoto 4320 I believe... Still waiting to see a street shot of the Nineo, which are 4830 lux I think, to see if it has kaleidoscope effect even worse, which would help prove my theory that these housings can handle only a max of 4200 lux properly or if it's an actual LED placement design issue.

Also interesting, is that your aim seems slightly high maybe, I use other modern cars with projectors that I can see their cutoff height and try to mimic that, but they look a little better than mine with bent anti-glare caps at least!
    '17 Magnetic - black wheels/red calipers only option - New Feb, '18.
    Tunes: Dizzy V2 e30 with Cobb TC at 3 as daily smooth tune, Stratified v4.00 93 octane with Stratified Optimal TC when e85 not available.
    Performance: Drop-in filter w/cold air shroud cutout, Whoosh crossover w/upgraded turbo inlet, silicone Symposer delete and hotside J pipe, TurboSmart VR2 EM plumb back DV, 18" Magnaflow glasspack muffler with 9" resonated DC Sports black tip, step colder NGK plugs gapped at .0275.
    Mounts/bracing: Torque Solutions 75a RMM, Powerflex Street engine side mount inserts, TB Performance Traction Bar
    Interior: Mojo Mfg short shift plate, Savanini ball shift knob, leather padded arm rest cover.
    To Do: Intercooler, Eibach springs, tint. Really, not much else :)

New Member 5 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals

State
    OH
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Quote Originally Posted by danbfree View Post
    Also interesting, is that your aim seems slightly high maybe, I use other modern cars with projectors that I can see their cutoff height and try to mimic that, but they look a little better than mine with bent anti-glare caps at least!
    so the general cutoff is aimed slightly lower then what it was from the factory. however, the hot spot extends above the general cutoff. so the hotspot extends slightly above where the halogen cutoff was.

so below is the techmax vs the morimoto. side by side you can tell that the techmax more blue vs the morimoto. i think it would be hard to tell the difference when viewed separately (eg when swapping out headlights).

the techmax has less of a kaleidoscope effect, which ends up putting more light on the road, at least within the range of the bulb. my only complaint is the color temp, which is subjective.

the techmax gets a thumbs up from me, especially at its price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 1000 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points Earned First 1500 Posts and 300 Rep Points
    State
    OR
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jfv302 View Post
    so the general cutoff is aimed slightly lower then what it was from the factory. however, the hot spot extends above the general cutoff. so the hotspot extends slightly above where the halogen cutoff was.

so below is the techmax vs the morimoto. side by side you can tell that the techmax more blue vs the morimoto. i think it would be hard to tell the difference when viewed separately (eg when swapping out headlights).

the techmax has less of a kaleidoscope effect, which ends up putting more light on the road, at least within the range of the bulb. my only complaint is the color temp, which is subjective.

the techmax gets a thumbs up from me, especially at its price point.
    Looks great! Yeah, you did good, just re-aiming slightly down on the TechMax is perfect, BulbFacts does say "near perfect" that shouldn't need it, but indeed if the hotspot is higher than with halogen that's all you gotta do is aim down just a bit and it won't effect overall effectiveness. In fact, I think I have mine a bit too low right now. :)

I assume on the 2 bottom road pics that top one is Morimoto on driver side, TechMax is passenger side and bottom is both TechMax with less kaleidoscope effect? I don't think it makes for less light on the road as much as it is definitely less distracting at least, but either way I agree TechMax is definitely a better match for our housings.
    Tunes: Dizzy V2 e30 with Cobb TC at 3 as daily smooth tune, Stratified v4.00 93 octane with Stratified Optimal TC when e85 not available.
    Performance: Drop-in filter w/cold air shroud cutout, Whoosh crossover w/upgraded turbo inlet, silicone Symposer delete and hotside J pipe, TurboSmart VR2 EM plumb back DV, 18" Magnaflow glasspack muffler with 9" resonated DC Sports black tip, step colder NGK plugs gapped at .0275.
    Mounts/bracing: Torque Solutions 75a RMM, Powerflex Street engine side mount inserts, TB Performance Traction Bar
    Interior: Mojo Mfg short shift plate, Savanini ball shift knob, leather padded arm rest cover.

New Member 5 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals

State
    OH
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol i forgot to mention that. the driver side is the techmax. neither pic shows the difference very well. i’ll try to get some better pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member 1308 Rep Points Flaco's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    State
    GA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Received my TechMax LED's today. Installed them and did a quick alignment. The RH needed just a little down. So these are an improvement over the Sealights I bought back in August. Much better cut off although not perfect, and much less scatter. Sealights will be relegated to my wifes Ford Escape (fogs).
    2016 ST3 Shadow Black
    Cobb AP3 Stratified 4.0 Flash Tune 91/93oct
    ST 200 Airbox Velossa Tech Bigmouth Mishimoto High Flow Induction Hose
    RamAir Crossover Pipe Samco Silicone Boost Hoses Depo Racing FMIC
    Mountune High Flow Lower Intercooler Charge Pipe GFB DV+
    Expansion Plug Symposer Delete Mishimoto OCC/Radiator & Fan Shroud Kit
    Powerflex MM Inserts Cobb Exhaust.Hangers Koni Sport Shocks Mountune Lowering Springs
    Pierce Motorsport Lower Chassis Brace Mojo Short Shift/Transmission Shifter Bushings RedlineGoods
    Shifter Boot/Armrest Cover DaVinci Rear Defusers Kumho PS-31 205/40/17 Triple R Splitter
    Carbon Motorsports Headlight Eyebrows Mountune Winglets ZL1 Rockguards TechMax/Sealight LED
    Head/Fogs Reverse/Interior LED's Vent Visors MK 7 S1600 Side Stripes 35%Tint Boom Mat No Pistons Dead Pedal

New Member 6 Rep Points averyislost's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals

State
    NC
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Flaco View Post
    Received my TechMax LED's today. Installed them and did a quick alignment. The RH needed just a little down. So these are an improvement over the Sealights I bought back in August. Much better cut off although not perfect, and much less scatter. Sealights will be relegated to my wifes Ford Escape (fogs).
    Nice! I have the Sealights installed now so I'd love to relegate those to fog light duty on the Fiesta knowing that the TechMax is much better!
    How is the fitment on them? I'm really wanting to run the stock rear cover with the TechMax like I did with the Sealights. Are you able to run the stock rear covers?

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    State
    OR
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Flaco View Post
    Glad you like the TechMax, they really are the best ones overall for our cars and are pretty cheap! The passenger side/RH light is supposed to be a touch higher since it is the curb side, but no biggie... I'd like to see some before and after pics of the "scatter", but a little glare is not only normal, it is completely intentional to help light up signs ahead.

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    State
    OR
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 Likes

Quote Originally Posted by averyislost View Post
    Nice! I have the Sealights installed now so I'd love to relegate those to fog light duty on the Fiesta knowing that the TechMax is much better!
    How is the fitment on them? I'm really wanting to run the stock rear cover with the TechMax like I did with the Sealights. Are you able to run the stock rear covers?
    No, they don't quite fit, it was shown earlier in the thread but you can try the pass-through ones for the LED heatsink to hang out the back or cut just a little circular amount out of the stock ones... but no, they REALLY aren't needed, the housing is not air tight to begin with and any water that gets in there evaporates out, which I've never seen running without rear covers for 3 years now including my car before the FiST in one of the rainiest states in the country... But honestly for all you guys who absolutely must have their rear covers on then I'd suggest sticking with halogens or going with the Euro projectors, which can be had pretty cheap as long as you can wait 6 weeks for quality aftermarket to arrive... Also, the stock housings are also cheap to replace, something like $80, in a quality aftermarket. Just up to you to balance the see better vs. cost vs. maybe having to wash out the factory housings. to me they are just too cheap and crappy to worry about water getting in, which I've still never seen.

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    State
    GA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Quote Originally Posted by averyislost View Post
    The fitment of the bulb or the fan end on the passenger side is up against the housing and does not allow for the dust cover to completely seat on that side. If your just looking at the headlamp assembly installed you would never notice the dust cover isn't completely seated.
    2016 ST3 Shadow Black
    Powerflex MM Inserts Cobb Exhaust.Hangers Koni Sport Shocks Mountune Lowering Springs
    Pierce Motorsport Lower Chassis Brace Mojo Short Shift/Transmission Shifter Bushings RedlineGoods
    Shifter Boot/Armrest Cover DaVinci Rear Defusers Kumho PS-31 205/40/17 Triple R Splitter
    Carbon Motorsports Headlight Eyebrows Mountune Winglets ZL1 Rockguards TechMax/Sealight LED
    Head/Fogs Reverse/Interior LED's Vent Visors MK 7 S1600 Side Stripes 35%Tint Boom Mat No Pistons Dead Pedal

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    State
    GA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by danbfree View Post
    Glad you like the TechMax, they really are the best ones overall for our cars and are pretty cheap! The passenger side/RH light is supposed to be a touch higher since it is the curb side, but no biggie... I'd like to see some before and after pics of the "scatter", but a little glare is not only normal, it is completely intentional to help light up signs ahead.
    After driving with TechMax for several days now "scatter' was not the right word to use. There is a small shadow in the beam on the RH side about 10 feet or so in front of the car just at the whiteline. Have not have time to investigate what it is lens or... ? I'm happy with the beam width it lights the lane sides very well. The beam distance is of course better than the halogens and the Sealights. And after 4 days no one has flashed me
    2016 ST3 Shadow Black

Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3335363738394041424344 LastLast