Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Used AP tune question

Hopefully this isn't a dumb question, I'll give as many details as I can here:

I bought a used AP intending to buy a dizzy tune for myself (and still do). Turns out the AP came with dizzy tunes for a 2016+ car with a 2j intake and a bov, and one of the tunes has the loud dizzy pop option.

My car is a 2017 with a panel filter, FMIC, and MagnaFlow muffler/res delete, obviously pretty different than the other car.

I've been considering buying the dizzy pop option but I think it would be awesome if I could hear it with /my/ exhaust since it's one of a kind. Would I be able to flash this tune on my car just to hear what it sounds like and then take it off? Or since the mods are completely different would this be a terrible idea?

Thanks!

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
The different model year might be an issue. Honestly, I would not risk bricking your ECU. Even if that tune did work, it would not be taking full advantage of your bigger IC. I think you can get a Stratified "crackle & pop" tune for like $50.

Hopefully this isn't a dumb question, I'll give as many details as I can here:

I bought a used AP intending to buy a dizzy tune for myself (and still do). Turns out the AP came with dizzy tunes for a 2016+ car with a 2j intake and a bov, and one of the tunes has the loud dizzy pop option.

My car is a 2017 with a panel filter, FMIC, and MagnaFlow muffler/res delete, obviously pretty different than the other car.

I've been considering buying the dizzy pop option but I think it would be awesome if I could hear it with /my/ exhaust since it's one of a kind. Would I be able to flash this tune on my car just to hear what it sounds like and then take it off? Or since the mods are completely different would this be a terrible idea?

Thanks!

It's likely a stage 1 and should work fine. I believe the difference is mainly the amount of boost - it'll be a little lower.

DEss

XanRules

I wouldn't run it with such different modifications. Might be fine but I wouldn't take the risk.

It would be fine to run, just wouldn't be as aggressive since it's "stage 1". '16-'18 cars flash the same from my experience. Xan's car above me was a 2017 and we flashed my old 2016 tune on it no problem. Intake difference shouldn't matter either since these are speed density.

XanRules

True, but I had the same mods as that tune was designed for IIRC. I'd be more worried about the presence of the FMIC but I'm old school and remember the days when you had to tune for every tiny thing.

Running a tune not designed for an aftermarket intercooler, while having one installed, will not have any negative side effects aside from not being as aggressive as it could be.

I did on my car for a few days and all was well, the only thing different I noticed was slightly less boost in 2nd gear.

OP
mcmcyo117
Thread Starter #8
Thanks everyone for some answers! I guess the ECU bricking seems like the only problem, but since this tune is for later years I'm guessing it'll be fine.

After reading all the replies though I'm just going to do it. I don't intend on keeping it on longer than maybe an hour, so no long term use. I'll keep everyone updated on what happens lol

OP
mcmcyo117
Thread Starter #9
Ok so I said I'd tell everyone how it went, so here it is:

I was having my brother drive it on the Cobb OTS tune so I could hear my new exhaust. Took it for a few short runs down the parking lot. Then turned the car off to flash the dizzy tune. Turned car back on and the power steering was off...(??) Wheel was suuuper hard to turn so I can only assume that's what it was. Filmed a few pops, then immediately flashed back to OTS tune. Steering wheel still locked when car turned back on. I drove it down the parking lot to see if it would work again, but it didn't. Turned car off and waited 5 minutes. Steering works again!

Needless to say I was kind of freaked out for a minute lol...

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Ok so I said I'd tell everyone how it went, so here it is:

I was having my brother drive it on the Cobb OTS tune so I could hear my new exhaust. Took it for a few short runs down the parking lot. Then turned the car off to flash the dizzy tune. Turned car back on and the power steering was off...(??) Wheel was suuuper hard to turn so I can only assume that's what it was. Filmed a few pops, then immediately flashed back to OTS tune. Steering wheel still locked when car turned back on. I drove it down the parking lot to see if it would work again, but it didn't. Turned car off and waited 5 minutes. Steering works again!

Needless to say I was kind of freaked out for a minute lol...

That is... odd.

Any further ramifications? I bought a used AP3 that came with a strat tune, but I decided to err on the side of caution and purchased a new tune from strat. Couldn't be happier, except now I think I need an intercooler :p

OP
mcmcyo117
Thread Starter #11
That is... odd.

Any further ramifications? I bought a used AP3 that came with a strat tune, but I decided to err on the side of caution and purchased a new tune from strat. Couldn't be happier, except now I think I need an intercooler :p
Yeah dude I was like "oh shit how do I even fix a computer problem with the steering" lol. But nothing after that, just a few minutes of panic!

I don't blame you for that though, I'm just poor so I wanted to test the pops before actually buying them. But yes! I just installed a fmic and I'm having fun with the ots tunes until I get a real tune done

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Yeah dude I was like "oh shit how do I even fix a computer problem with the steering" lol. But nothing after that, just a few minutes of panic!

I don't blame you for that though, I'm just poor so I wanted to test the pops before actually buying them. But yes! I just installed a fmic and I'm having fun with the ots tunes until I get a real tune done
There is almost no difference between a '16 and '17 ECU-wise, but maybe the steering was something different... the mods absolutely were not different enough at all to harm anything, you don't tune more aggressively for a BOV, and a drop-in vs intake isn't THAT much different especially when you have the upgraded IC all on a stock turbo... anyway, just wanted to let you know Dizzy does have a sale right now where you get Choice of pump octane, e30 for free, and the Dizzy Pops which you can choose the rpm threshold and a datalog refinement all for $95!

Again, it is fine to flash a '16+ car with a '16+ "used" tune. No issus, I've done it multiple times. That said, Dizzy FTW, especially right now.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Again, it is fine to flash a '16+ car with a '16+ "used" tune. No issus, I've done it multiple times. That said, Dizzy FTW, especially right now.
D'oh, I missed the part where it is a "16+" tune, so yeah, son't think the mods are that much different but some BOV's are tuned for it, that may be an issue... But I just got the new Dizzy tune on special with free e30 (haven't touched that yet), but holy SMOOTH Batman! SMOOTH shifting, down shifting, how the power comes on, WOW! Easily the best daily tune there is... I also have latest Stratified, and that will be my weekend drive rally tune, much touchier throttle response and power delivery (even with progressive throttle option), more negative corrections (but definitely still not many) and 1.5 PSI boost to run at the very edge of safety with higher temps and aggressive fan speed profile to match, I'm actually surprised how different they are! With Dizzy I get a free one-time datalog review, not sure how much more aggressive he will go, or if it's more just a safety look-over?

Ford Community Posts