Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Off-road/Trail suspension?

Back from the dead in case if some one wants to hit the gravel:
for M-Sport gravel dumpers on ST one need to use n/a Fiesta front knuckles and even though
have to shave a bit off the lower part of front dumpers. no biggie.
also preferably rear suspension beam as well since it has more flexibility than the ST one.
I also raised up intercooler by about an inch since stock sits silly low.
Anyway they survived 4 rallies and now not as good on rebound
looking for replacement inserts.
PS Stage rally car doesn't cost 100-200K to build.
That's absolutely ridiculous! we wouldn't have budget teams if it cost that much
If one does/makes everything himself and stick to Production class he'll spend around 15(20K max) unless goes with high end suspension, seats, harnesses etc.
And You can sell not needed parts stuff interior, exhaust, navi unit etc to cover some expenses.
The most expensive parts are suspension (entry level M-Sport dumpers can be bought for $2500) and seats/harness another $2000
Car with a slight damage can be bought from online auction fairly cheap too.
Also one CAN compete at WRC event w/out massive sponsorship.
But yes, You have to be somewhat rich
If You compete in Mexico WRC round cost $25000 (and that includes rally car rental, mechanics, tires, spares etc.)
A bit more expensive in Europe: $35K at least.
How do I know? I have a friend who did WRX Mexico and Monte-Carlo Rounds.
PS again lol. the red car is a new WRX I just finished building and if You're curious it sits on DMS 2-way adjustable suspension

Attachments

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I have since found out that the R1 M-Sport/Bilsteins are NOT re-buildable at all, so when you destroy one, you throw it away (this is according to one of the Limited 2WD competitors I spoke to at STPR, in a NA Fiesta who actually IS competing on them).

There is a member on here (jcr557) actually competing in a FiST in Limited 2WD class, who is using some built for gravel rally Silver coil overs (sold by/through Panda Motorwerks) that I am going to check out further.
One does NOT have to convert to base Fiesta front uprights/knuckles in order to use these, they bolt right up to our factory knuckles. [:)]

Are they at the Reiger level of strength, durability, and refinement/plotted valving, of course NOT, but they are also going to be one third the cost (or less), even for remote reservoir, 3 way adjustable versions, which for MY purposes is way overkill anyway. [wink]

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
BTW; Team/Tim O'Neil is now TOTALLY out of the rally car prep business, and is only/solely doing the rally school thing (he is not even driving a car part time anymore, like he was the Limited AWD class FoRS he just sold off recently). :(

If you want/need M-Sport hard parts, you either buy them direct from M-Sport in Cumbria (for WRC/R5 stuff), or Poland (for R2/old R1 stuff), or in OUR country from McKenna Motorsports (for the R2 and up stuff), or from O.D.D. racing (for the R1 suspension kits).

I have since found out that the R1 M-Sport/Bilsteins are NOT re-buildable at all, so when you destroy one, you throw it away (this is according to one of the Limited 2WD competitors I spoke to at STPR, in a NA Fiesta who actually IS competing on them).

There is a member on here (jcr557) actually competing in a FiST in Limited 2WD class, who is using some built for gravel rally Silver coil overs (sold by/through Panda Motorwerks) that I am going to check out further.
One does NOT have to convert to base Fiesta front uprights/knuckles in order to use these, they bolt right up to our factory knuckles. [:)]

Are they at the Reiger level of strength, durability, and refinement/plotted valving, of course NOT, but they are also going to be one third the cost (or less), even for remote reservoir, 3 way adjustable versions, which for MY purposes is way overkill anyway. [wink]
The thing is: It's easier and faster to replace the inserts than to rebuild them. Cost is just slightly higher but then You'll have brand new ones.
I was lurking around Ohlins for rear as well or Bilstein offroad shocks. i beleive series 8125 ?(with external reservoir ) which i had used in my previous rally car and loved them.
And yeah, I bought my suspension kit from Poland and will probably buy inserts from them or from UK.,
seats also came from Poland. It's way cheaper to buy from Europe than locally Even with shipping. Go figure....
having said that i surely would love to explore all other options.

Last edited: