Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

RIP My Orange Spice

Was rear ended in 4/18.

Ford body shop used wrong paint on the first attempt. After 2 more tries, we agreed to let the paint sit for a while, and come back to the matter.

The right side of the car is stock, while the left (where the worked on and blended up to the front fender) is a darker orange with little to no metallic flake. BASF rep claims that its the best they can do.

Just bought the car in February and paid extra for this paint color :(

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Was rear ended in 4/18.

Ford body shop used wrong paint on the first attempt. After 2 more tries, we agreed to let the paint sit for a while, and come back to the matter.

The right side of the car is stock, while the left (where the worked on and blended up to the front fender) is a darker orange with little to no metallic flake. BASF rep claims that its the best they can do.

Just bought the car in February and paid extra for this paint color :(
Go to a different body shop with an experienced painter!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

I didn’t even notice it at the meet the other week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems to me a Ford body shop should be capable of properly matching Ford paint. I'd get a hold of corporate if they won't make it right.

Last edited:
OP
kb3uru
Thread Starter #6
Go to a different body shop with an experienced painter!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
The other body shops I have been too (Ford Authorized and non) won’t touch this paint color.

OP
kb3uru
Thread Starter #7
Seems to me a Ford body shop should be capable of properly matching Ford paint. I'd get a hold of corporate if they won't make it right.
One would think so. Apparently the Mid-Atlantic ford body shops are supppplied by a company called BSAF. They don’t get the paint from Ford.

I would def try some other shops. i work at a shop in south central PA and I have never seen a car get turned away for fear of not being able to match the color. We recently did a ford edge that is a very similar orange . It is not easy but a skilled painter should be able to do it.

About 8 years ago I used to work for an O’Reilly Auto Parts that mixed paint. One of the very first ones I ever did was a white pearl tri-coat for a Super Duty. It’s not the easiest thing I ever did, but far from the hardest.

The shop had no complaints. Not trying to blow my own horn. I hated mixing paint, but it wasn’t rocket science.

Hell, we could even mix DuPont Chromalusion when that was the new shizz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jerickson88

There’s a few high end shops down here in AL that turn out 70k cars for body work. I know it’s a distance but if you were guaranteed a win then it may be worth it.

Take it to another shop or make ford pay for a full respray if their body shop can't get the color match right.

I work at a body shop, our painters use a high tech camera to take a sample of color from an adjacent panel and 95% of the time the color comes out spot on. The other 5% if the camera can't get a good image they resort to spraying a test panel and tinting the color until it's right.

It's one of those colors. That is next to impossible. To get to match just right. Better off to respray the whole car. That's why the other guys won't touch it. That's why when I restore old cars. Usually end up painting them black.

Hyundai has a color almost exactly the same. I friend had to have her hood repainted - dealer dragged tools across it - and they color matched it exactly. Sparkles and all. When our cars are parked next to each other I swear its the same color.
So if Ford can't, try Hyundai.