Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Are tunes legal? Cobb Accessport Question

Jerickson88

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
If you are truly worried about breaking every little law written I wouldn't mod cars. You have the guys with the diesel trucks turning off their emission systems now that's full-on illegal. A tuner on a gasoline vehicle that's not turning anything off I don't see a problem with it at all.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Jerickson88

Except the Mountune mp-215, legal in Cali and all other 49.......
I wondered that last night. A buddy of mine was saying that the AP3 voided my warranty but I was saying it was part of the 215 kit that doesn’t void it, correct?

Jerickson88

So the leg that I’m standing on if ever questioned or have to battle with my dealer is that I’ve used one manufacturer for performance parts for my car; several of which are endorsed and similar products by another company, and that the ap3 is the conduit for the mp215 performance programming.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Except the Mountune mp-215, legal in Cali and all other 49.......
With a clarification. It may be or may not be be legal depending your state.

It was originally warranty friendly and California legal starting in 2014 til 2016.

Mountune did not renew the CARB edo number for 2017-2018 though. It’s no longer emissions legal on cars built after 2016.

They also have been pulling their Warrantly friendly certs as well.
I suggest anyone seriously interested take it up with Mountune.

Last edited:

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
if you purchased the mp-215 and had it installed and registered you have no problems with FORD.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
if you purchased the mp-215 and had it installed and registered you have no problems with FORD.
As long as your car is a 2014-2016. There is no warranty endorsement or CARB qualification for the 2017-2018. I know thia because before I got my 2018 I was looking into it. I almost bought a 2017 so thats why I checked.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
There is clearly a CARB legal AP for sale on Cobb's website for the Focus, too bad not one for Fiesta, but you're not in Cali anyway... But, if you are worried about the environment, I've seen tunes actually run more efficiently and actually get better mileage when not "sending it", and as long as you leave the catalysts you will be running clean too...

XanRules

This has been going on for some time now, I think they went after Cobb as well which is why they locked down the AccessTuner software. It's very hard to find more information as the only places talking about it are car forums that seem to be mostly populated by boomers with brain worms.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I know they went after tuners who were making them for diesel trucks and deleting the emissions systems on them. diesel emissions systems are just ridiculous if anything goes wrong with them it just shuts the truck down. I'm glad gasoline vehicles aren't to that point yet.

me32

1000 Post Club
I know they went after tuners who were making them for diesel trucks and deleting the emissions systems on them. diesel emissions systems are just ridiculous if anything goes wrong with them it just shuts the truck down. I'm glad gasoline vehicles aren't to that point yet.

ODB 3 will be a little scary. They will have the capability to send data over the air at any given time. Technically speaking anything that modifies the computer parameters that effects emissions/air/fuel or turns off any sensors is illegal. Not just in CA. But as there are states that dont test and most law enforcement can not see or prove a computer has been altered. It doesnt seem to be a big issues. But if you dont want to break a law then do not modify your car in anyway. Only use direct replacement parts