Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Looking for DOT marked yellow foglights?

Laminx illegal in your state? Require dot markings on your lights?

A little croasreferencing and digging found 2015/2016 WRX/STI foglights can be purchased on Amazon with DOT markings!

These are a direct bolt in replacement

OP
D
Thread Starter #3
AJAC-0376-30

Comes with a full wiring kit as well. Not needed. Also mine had some condensation inside they replaced it!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Please share a part number
I've been told by inspection stations that regardless of whether or not they are marked DOT/NHTSA 'legal' or not, yellow (whether it's yellow bulbs OR lens/laminates) is TOTALLY ILLEGAL in our state, and that you WILL fail inspection with them installed.

Anyone on here in Pennsyltuckey get through inspection with them?? [dunno]

OP
D
Thread Starter #5
I'm pretty sure in VA both the bulb and the housing need DOT stamps. There's a lot of housings for sale that say that they are DOT compliant, but don't actually have DOT stamps. Here's a close up of these housings.
if you look closely you can see the stamp. If I have time I can research your state laws and see what I can find out for you.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I've been told by inspection stations that regardless of whether or not they are marked DOT/NHTSA 'legal' or not, yellow (whether it's yellow bulbs OR lens/laminates) is TOTALLY ILLEGAL in our state, and that you WILL fail inspection with them installed.

Anyone on here in Pennsyltuckey get through inspection with them?? [dunno]
I have Laminx yellows on my diode dynamics led fog lights and passed PA inspection with no questions asked..

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I have Laminx yellows on my diode dynamics led fog lights and passed PA inspection with no questions asked..
So I guess it IS up to the shop itself, and they are just looking for something else to make money off of Pa. citizens over (by trying to charge STUPID coin to change out for 'legal')? [dunno]

One more reason I HATE this CORRUPT/PAYOLA induced by corrupt legislators, POS privatized Pennsyltuckey inspection system!! [mad]

XanRules

Asked the man himself, Daniel Stern, about better fog lights for this car that will pass DOT, here's what he said:

If you really do need very strong fog lamps, and your wallet opens widely enough, and you're willing to do some adaptive mounting, then the one you want is the Myotek MFL-47 LED fog lamp, shown at
https://www.flickr.com/photos/132099127@N04/21994446731

It is not sold through any aftermarket channels, but it is original equipment on certain premium FCA models: the Chrysler Pacifica, for example. Top item ($205 and change apiece) in the list at http://www.factorychryslerparts.com...odel=15473&modelYear=2017&ukey_category=20307 . The usual suspects counterfeit it, of course. The counterfeits are junk, of course.

This is a *phenomenally* good fog lamp, ECE F3 and SAE F3, with an ultra-wide, very strong, extremely well-focused beam. You'd need to fabricate an adaptive mounting solution that would hold the fogs rigidly in place and still permit them to be aimed.
I'm going to be keeping my eyes out for totaled/parted-out Pacificas, SRT8 Cherokees and Challengers and fab up a bracket for these.

OP
D
Thread Starter #10
Honestly looks like your good. I'd probably get the DOT marked ones just to be safe.

OP
D
Thread Starter #11
Asked the man himself, Daniel Stern, about better fog lights for this car that will pass DOT, here's what he said:

I'm going to be keeping my eyes out for totaled/parted-out Pacificas, SRT8 Cherokees and Challengers and fab up a bracket for these.
Oddly don't see a DOT stamp on them. Also in my state switching bulb type is actually illegal I believe.

XanRules

Interesting. I haven't had to do an inspection for a while so I haven't gotten popped but I'm sure they're DOT legal as they are OEM fog lights on a number of US cars. Still, if that's not a risk you'd want to take, I don't fault you!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Passing inspection doesn't make something legal.

https://www.pacode.com/secure/data/067/chapter175/s175.66.html

Have to find the tables for color but this is much more lenient than VA
It also does no good If something is actually legal 'by the codes', but the inspection shops FAIL you on inspection for that item, regardless, anyway.

(Then I guess one could challenge in court, but WHO wants to waste all of that coin/time/effort to do so? OR just keep searching until you find a shop to pass you with whatever setup you have on the car, as by showing them that you ARE "legal" by the very state DMV codes they are supposed to be using for said inspection.)

OP
D
Thread Starter #15
It also does no good If something is actually legal 'by the codes', but the inspection shops FAIL you on inspection for that item, regardless, anyway.

(Then I guess one could challenge in court, but WHO wants to waste all of that coin/time/effort to do so? OR just keep searching until you find a shop to pass you with whatever setup you have on the car, as by showing them that you ARE "legal" by the very state DMV codes they are supposed to be using for said inspection.)
Yeah, best to find a reasonable shop that plays it by the book. Sure tell the idiot who'd tires are at 1/32 to replace them. But if I'm following the law don't reject the law and supplement your own.

Heck, there's a car that's parked near me with a 2017 inspection sticker. In VA for 2019 they moved the location of the sticker. How much longer are you going to pull that crap.