Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Which wheel spins first?

I'm trying to figure out whether the front driver or the front passenger tire spins first when launching in 1st and second gear. It is an open differential, so one of them has to spin first.

I have a set of 5 wheels and tires for a 5 tire rotation, so I want to rotate the spare to the spinning position to better balance out the wear.

This shouldn't matter for rotation. Unless you are actually dumping the clutch everywhere you go. I'd honestly just rotate the 4 on the car. You don't want to be mixing it up with a random taller treaded tire.

Shouldn't really matter but just save the 5th for your spare.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
They spin at the same time if you're in a straight line. Horsepower will choose the path of least resistance. If resistance is the same from left to right, it will spin both of them. You're thinking too hard as far as rotation. Just do a diagonal rotation then a front-rear rotation and then diagonal, and so on.

OP
X
Thread Starter #5
I'm running soft compound 200 TW tires, so I'm going to do a 5 tire rotation about every 750 miles. I've got a hydraulic jack andthe rear lifts up with the front so you can pull 2 tires at a time with the spare.

Gets you about an extra 20% more tread life with an extra thrown in. Torque to spec, drive to grab an iced coffee, retorque at the coffee shop. Takes like 30 minutes at the most. Having covered parking in all year round is great, I hate the sun and rain.

I guess the closest thing I can give you to a direct answer is: Most likely your inside tire.

Just rotate the 4 and save your 5th as a spare. Having a oddball height tire isn't the greatest idea.

You are making too much work for yourself if your driving 200tw on the street full time you likely will get one season out of them. Also you need to store them climate controlled in the off seasons or they will be good as rocks.

First hand experience, these have about 8,000 miles and probably 150ish autocross laps. Rotated once. If you are remotely concerned with tires lasting you bought the wrong tires.

The stock Bridgestones are rated at 140 and it's pretty common for folks to get 25k out of them. Rotating every 750 miles is stupid. I rotated mine every 7500 miles and got 26k out of them.
Depends on the tire. Most "200tw" tires are basically DOT legal slicks. Treadware ratings should have a standard. Really it's up to the manufacturer.

You are not getting 20K miles out of either of the hot autocross tires. RE71Rs or Rivals.

OP
X
Thread Starter #10
Depends on the tire. Most "200tw" tires are basically DOT legal slicks. Treadware ratings should have a standard. Really it's up to the manufacturer.

You are not getting 20K miles out of either of the hot autocross tires. RE71Rs or Rivals.
Edit: mobile keeps breaking posts.

I've got x5 of 225/45R16 Direzzia ZIII on a 16x8 Konig Dekagram wheel. They are the 2017/18 (replacement?/alterative?) for the Direzzia ZII star specs. I'd be happy to get 12k out of them rotating in the 5th wheel for a 20% boost in life. 15k probably won't happen. They aren't as soft as the RE-71s, which just seem to disintegrate when you look at them funny.

We luckly can run summer tires all year round this far south. If it drops below freezing the city usually shuts down due to freezing rain. We usually don't get snow at all. I just don't drive the car during that few days or week during the year. Carpool, or take the bus. I'll probably put the car on cement blocks if it going to freeze for a few days and leave the tires inside.

This car is turboswapped. We have a shitbox for errands, family, roadtrips, etc. My commute is about 10 minutes in the Fiesta. My fiance and I autocross the FiST on weekends, and as soon as I budget a second set of track brakes for the upcoming season, we will be doing track time. It is the road legal race car more than anything else.

Usually you tear up one of the front tires more than the others due to having a FWD car on a CW or CCW track. You pull that tire off and measure the tread depth; then keep rotating the four until it matches the tire that got beat up...then back to a 5 tire rotation.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club

What's your point? Do you know what kind of tires the OP is running?

Jerickson88

If you do a modified X but always put the same corner in the trunk, they will rotate every position.

Example:

Driver Front-cross to passenger rear
Passenger rear- move to passenger front
Passenger front- to spare position
Spare (from passenger front location)- cross to driver rear

Basically make a mental note of where you want to start the tire from spare position, cross the front to rear and bring rears straight forward.

What's your point? Do you know what kind of tires the OP is running?
That the numbers arnt an exact science and 200tw tires can be softer and last shorter than the 140tw. 200 is a number to shoot for because its allowed in classes. Stickiest tire, call it 200 so the competitive autocross people can run it.

Jerickson88

Also food for thought, it’s probanly the passenger front. It’ll slip first, it’s on the down hill side. Punch it in the rain, front end will slide to the right side of the road.

If you do a modified X but always put the same corner in the trunk, they will rotate every position.

Example:

Driver Front-cross to passenger rear
Passenger rear- move to passenger front
Passenger front- to spare position
Spare (from passenger front location)- cross to driver rear

Basically make a mental note of where you want to start the tire from spare position, cross the front to rear and bring rears straight forward.
ZIII are directional.

Jerickson88

Correct, especially since it can only be rotated on one side of the car. I guess you could go through the trouble of having them flipped on the rim? Lol
Or if the performance aspect isn’t that big of a deal then have the fifth tire an asymmetrical. Just crazy.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
After about 75 AutoX laps I just had my Re71R's flipped on the rims. The outside of the tire and outer edge of the middle band was very worn. (all 4 tires, I rotate every event) Dunno how Dapr keeps his so nicely even =)

On a side note, it is almost always my passenger tire the breaks loose first if it is just me in the car, accelerating in a straight on the street.

After about 75 AutoX laps I just had my Re71R's flipped on the rims. The outside of the tire and outer edge of the middle band was very worn. (all 4 tires, I rotate every event) Dunno how Dapr keeps his so nicely even =)

On a side note, it is almost always my passenger tire the breaks loose first if it is just me in the car, accelerating in a straight on the street.
These were from my Miata. The Fiesta will likely wear the outer edge pretty hard. Tips to consider:
Check your pressures
Chalk your side walls to check for roll over.
Spray not only the tires down but the insides of the wheels as well.
Also a little negative camber will help.