Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The 2014 Coolant Loss/Engine Fire Recall

I have one of the FiSTs within the VIN range for the Coolant Loss/Engine Fire recall. I got the letter and didn’t pay much attention to it. After about a week, I called my service advisor. Apparently it wouldn’t be a slow leak, but a sudden one, causing cracked block, causing oil leak, causing fire.

Anyway, the repair turned into a can of worms. Come to find out it wasn’t just throwing a sensor in and calling it a day. Apparently, they had to take some things apart to install the sensor. After they opened some things up, they noticed a broken tab on the thermostat. They tried to fish it out but only got part of it. The other piece had to be somewhere. Come to find out it had lodged into the water pump so they had to get to the water pump and examine it. Found the other piece of the tab in the water pump. Examined the water pump for damage and there was none. I suppose they had to tear the whole front bumper cover and then some to get to the water pump. What turned out to be a couple hours turned into several.

So if you get the letter, do make a service appointment asap. That was my experience. Thought I’d share.

Thanks for the reminder, I just got my car back on Tuesday after having this recall work done. The dealership had my car for 12 days and said it was an extensive recall. They replaced a couple lines and the coolant overflow tank. The only thing that sucks about having it done. They said they had to uninstall my Damond Motorsports oil catch can. Because the can was interfering with the routing of the new lines.

I have one of the FiSTs within the VIN range for the Coolant Loss/Engine Fire recall. I got the letter and didn’t pay much attention to it. After about a week, I called my service advisor. Apparently it wouldn’t be a slow leak, but a sudden one, causing cracked block, causing oil leak, causing fire.

Anyway, the repair turned into a can of worms. Come to find out it wasn’t just throwing a sensor in and calling it a day. Apparently, they had to take some things apart to install the sensor. After they opened some things up, they noticed a broken tab on the thermostat. They tried to fish it out but only got part of it. The other piece had to be somewhere. Come to find out it had lodged into the water pump so they had to get to the water pump and examine it. Found the other piece of the tab in the water pump. Examined the water pump for damage and there was none. I suppose they had to tear the whole front bumper cover and then some to get to the water pump. What turned out to be a couple hours turned into several.

So if you get the letter, do make a service appointment asap. That was my experience. Thought I’d share.
i bought a used 2014 with 60k from a Ford dealer who told me all recalls were done back in 2018.. I just popped that engine code 1299 -cylinder head protection code which goes into limp mode. where is that coolant temp sensor? Was it on the car pre-recall?

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
The coolant temp sensor is (always been) on the right rear top of the engine.
If you had the 17S09 recall done, the added coolant level sensor is behind the degas bottle.

I check compression I about 168-172 in all cylinder. Changed the temp sensor flushed the radiator. started it up it and immediately went to 1299 pcode...limp mode. i pulled the battery cable trying to reset that pcode.. no way is it hot

I got a recall notice on this last fall for my car which I bought used, I was about to put it up for the winter so put it aside. I found the notice a few weeks ago and had the work done, the shop broke something in my windshield wiper system so had to order the parts. They called me to tell me about the problem and the delay and inform me that the wipers were corroded and it was my problem and my expense, I assured her that it was in on a recall and they broke it so it was their problem. After a bit of back in forth with the service asshat she said they would take care of the parts they broke. Jeeze. By the way I asked her when she called the first night to tell me of the delay if they had broken something and she said no. That was probably a big mistake on her part. I hate dealer service and service advisors with a passion. Three days for the recall that in retrospect I should have just ignored. My bad there.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I got a recall notice on this last fall for my car which I bought used, I was about to put it up for the winter so put it aside. I found the notice a few weeks ago and had the work done, the shop broke something in my windshield wiper system so had to order the parts. They called me to tell me about the problem and the delay and inform me that the wipers were corroded and it was my problem and my expense, I assured her that it was in on a recall and they broke it so it was their problem. After a bit of back in forth with the service asshat she said they would take care of the parts they broke. Jeeze. By the way I asked her when she called the first night to tell me of the delay if they had broken something and she said no. That was probably a big mistake on her part. I hate dealer service and service advisors with a passion. Three days for the recall that in retrospect I should have just ignored. My bad there.
I bought my FiST because my beloved Fiat 500 Abarth, at less than 6 months old, spent several months sitting on a dealer lot waiting for service before I lawyered up and they bought it back. Failed 80 dollar part, but they were so backed up with Fiat 500L dual clutch trans replacements that it was going to be several more months, and they also had recently fired all their techs for "unacceptable practices". 3 days.. not so bad ;)

(If they'd given me something interesting as a loaner I'd probably have been fine, but they gave me a crappy jeep to not drive so I was pretty jaded)