Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Low rpm low speed is it bad for the tranny

Hi guys. Is driving the fist at low rpm and low speed bad for the tranny. Reason I ask is I don't want to cause damage later on. The old ford type 9 in the Sierra did not last long if you drove in 5th at around 80 kph.on the fist I go into 5th above 70kph. Can i drive around in 5th at 60kph without causing long term damage

Low RPM is not going to damage the transmission. You can probably drive in 5th at 60 kph if you are cruising, but I wouldn't recommend it if you are accelerating or going up a significant grade. Definitely don't stomp on it at that low of an RPM and high gear. You'd just be putting unnecessary strain on the engine internals and increasing chance of LSPI.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Hi guys. Is driving the fist at low rpm and low speed bad for the tranny. Reason I ask is I don't want to cause damage later on. The old ford type 9 in the Sierra did not last long if you drove in 5th at around 80 kph.on the fist I go into 5th above 70kph. Can i drive around in 5th at 60kph without causing long term damage
That use is well within the performance envelope of any modern car - just don't go high boost at low RPM under high load, that's not ideal for the engine. AFAIK the trans in the fiesta ST is pretty strong, I don't think I've read about anyone grenading one whom wasn't doing something... excessive.

That use is well within the performance envelope of any modern car - just don't go high boost at low RPM under high load, that's not ideal for the engine. AFAIK the trans in the fiesta ST is pretty strong, I don't think I've read about anyone grenading one whom wasn't doing something... excessive.
I validate the FiST trans strenght[;)]...it hold out for long,since my Lady (Owner of a bracing Citro C4 Grand Picasso,with a strange thing called...automatic/manual gear...wuaoww...a car that changes gears whenever it wants...even when not required) drove it, without passing from 6 to 5 or 4...she drove for some km always with low rpm...[scratch]….she was so used to the Citrogear, that expected the FiST changed gear by itself[sad]

I read somewhere that the transmission is a Getrag, which would be good, they make good stuff. Can anyone confirm that?
It is a Getrag B6 something. Says so on the transmission housing, I remember looking at it this morning. Record for the Fiesta ST 1/4 mile was on a 100% stock transmission. Unless there was a manufacturing defect (it is pretty obvious in the first 15k miles), the 100% stock transmission are good to 400 HP or possibly more.

I'm 72k miles on the stock transmission and just put my car this morning on an uncorrected local "heartbreaker" dynojet. My car put down 280 HP, 287 TQ with 91F ambient, and ~110F charge air temps @ 7k. There wasn't any airflow in the shop, and they didn't have a good fan at the time. Car did well for worse case testing, the axles nor the clutch haven't given out with lots of racing and street fun...even with elevated power levels.

You might want to swap the transmission fluid from the stock Ford dual clutch fluid to Motul Multi DCTF. It is the same fluid a lot of people run when they track their Nissian GTRs. I think it is good enough for the Fiesta, my synchros really liked the fluid.

Only thing to watch out for is really bad wheel hop, can break an axle. Easy and cheap to fix, just really annoying. Shop owner who dynoed my car said the Honda "whatever" series transmission they like for their FWD monsters can put down a ton of power (350+ @ 1900lbs), but they see a kid with 150 HP get wheel hop really bad and snap an axle going down the road. FWD problems.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
It is a Getrag B6 something. Says so on the transmission housing, I remember looking at it this morning. Record for the Fiesta ST 1/4 mile was on a 100% stock transmission. Unless there was a manufacturing defect (it is pretty obvious in the first 15k miles), the 100% stock transmission are good to 400 HP or possibly more.

I'm 72k miles on the stock transmission and just put my car this morning on an uncorrected local "heartbreaker" dynojet. My car put down 280 HP, 287 TQ with 91F ambient, and ~110F charge air temps @ 7k. There wasn't any airflow in the shop, and they didn't have a good fan at the time. Car did well for worse case testing, the axles nor the clutch haven't given out with lots of racing and street fun...even with elevated power levels.

You might want to swap the transmission fluid from the stock Ford dual clutch fluid to Motul Multi DCTF. It is the same fluid a lot of people run when they track their Nissian GTRs. I think it is good enough for the Fiesta, my synchros really liked the fluid.

Only thing to watch out for is really bad wheel hop, can break an axle. Easy and cheap to fix, just really annoying. Shop owner who dynoed my car said the Honda "whatever" series transmission they like for their FWD monsters can put down a ton of power (350+ @ 1900lbs), but they see a kid with 150 HP get wheel hop really bad and snap an axle going down the road. FWD problems.
I'm really surprised ford never used the (automatic) aisin trans that the fiat500 abarth and a lot of other torquey FWD cars did. With the Abarth's trans and ecu tuning I would almost say it was the better option. Might've helped the ST stick around longer (more buyers). Also, the map included pops between up and downshifts :p - that aisin auto is rated for 500lb ft of torque and would've been neato for drag racing consistency

Intuit

3000 Post Club
According to the specs, the B6 holds 1.67. According the refill instructions, it holds 2.1 ~ 2.3L... which happens to be the spec for the B5. So Ford was under-filling and so far as I've heard, it results with louder clickity clackity shifting noises. The loud clack noise on clutch pedal release, while drive train slack, we're not 100% confirmed on whether that's the differential or the drive shafts.

By the way mine behaves I think so.... It just hates being nannered around... Which in turn I drive it hard 90% if not more of the time.. great for the engine as it keeps things moving through like carbon... I find that the gears and clutch just react bad to slow driving and if you do change gears at low rpm you gotta be even more general to avoid all the clunking and jerking on the drive train... IMO.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk

According to the specs, the B6 holds 1.67. According the refill instructions, it holds 2.1 ~ 2.3L... which happens to be the spec for the B5. So Ford was under-filling and so far as I've heard, it results with louder clickity clackity shifting noises. The loud clack noise on clutch pedal release, while drive train slack, we're not 100% confirmed on whether that's the differential or the drive shafts.
I heard that the clack clack was from that stupid dual mass flywheel that's in the FiST's...? Correct me if I'm wrong..

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I heard that the clack clack was from that stupid dual mass flywheel that's in the FiST's...? Correct me if I'm wrong..

Thank you for that. I believe you are correct. Besides the giant clack on clutch release (more audible as the engine warms), I get the noise in the second video here. I could probably press to do this under warranty, but I don't trust them to go that far into the vehicle without compromising something else. The windshield they fixed still leaks, and the noise from the sunroof (they replaced) tilting is even louder. Imagine the harm that could be done when removing and engine/trans to get to the dual-mass flywheel. All factors aligning, this is something I'll be doing myself at some point down the road. Perhaps I can just press to get the parts.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...7579FEAEF07C09AD5D6E7579FEAEF07C&&FORM=VRDGAR
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...F02D1A9E21A03D41BCC5F02D1A9E21A0&&FORM=VDRVRV
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...DEE4AA1279F42BAB5861DEE4AA1279F4&&FORM=VDRVRV
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...1DEE4AA1279F42BAB5861DEE4AA1279F4&FORM=VDQVAP