Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Alternative fog light assemblies

I have the diode dynamics fogs and I definitely vote for them and for Whoosh. I asked him about them and a few days later he became a vendor and sold me his first set! The diode dynamics and morimoto are basically identical. I’ve had both on a different vehicle with the same assembly. I’ve been using many different diode dynamics products for years and never had a single problem and their customer service combined with Ron’s is nothing short of amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #22
Not trying to bash these or you Ron( I have too many good experiences with whoosh) but morimotto proved to me many years ago why there awesome and there gonna get my support and recommendations for light products for a really long time over everything.
Understood, but honestly it's really the same product, I'm pretty sure they use the same exact manufacturer to the same exact spec, I mean they are both the same price if you look around and it's nice to support a FiST specific vendor, just my $.02 I can totally respect where you are coming from...

My problem is that I'm finding WAY too many cheap ones that look good, from WAY TOO cheap but still very decent looking to ones that look VERY good quality at about half the price of these, I'll have to take my time and choose carefully.

Last edited by a moderator:

XanRules

The Morimoto/Diode Dynamics stuff is identical, literally the exact same product, and Morimoto, like Mishimoto, is an old eBay special made-in-china company that spends a lot on marketing and has a Japanese-sounding name to give their products the appearance of quality. Diode Dynamics' LED offerings, their bread and butter, are all great, never had a problem with any of their products in any of my cars, but those rebadged Morimoto fogs are booty - they don't function well as fog lights OR driving lights, they're just for cosmetics. If you want a cosmetic mod then go for it, but as functional lights they're not great.

All told, I don't think you're going to find something worth a dang at a low price point. The RallyInnovations guys seem to know what they're talking about and I've heard good things about their products from people who've run them in a motorsports capacity, though of course those are different conditions than driving on a public road. Those are likely the best "bang for your buck" though they are over $150.

Otherwise, find a totaled-out FCA product from recent years with the LED fogs, yank 'em out and fab up a bracket, like your crazy pal Xan is thinking about doing. ;)

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Not trying to bash these or you Ron( I have too many good experiences with whoosh) but morimotto proved to me many years ago why there awesome and there gonna get my support and recommendations for light products for a really long time over everything.
just offing a comparison of cost / no argument intended sir

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #26
The Morimoto/Diode Dynamics stuff is identical, literally the exact same product, and Morimoto, like Mishimoto, is an old eBay special made-in-china company that spends a lot on marketing and has a Japanese-sounding name to give their products the appearance of quality. Diode Dynamics' LED offerings, their bread and butter, are all great, never had a problem with any of their products in any of my cars, but those rebadged Morimoto fogs are booty - they don't function well as fog lights OR driving lights, they're just for cosmetics. If you want a cosmetic mod then go for it, but as functional lights they're not great.

All told, I don't think you're going to find something worth a dang at a low price point. The RallyInnovations guys seem to know what they're talking about and I've heard good things about their products from people who've run them in a motorsports capacity, though of course those are different conditions than driving on a public road. Those are likely the best "bang for your buck" though they are over $150.

Otherwise, find a totaled-out FCA product from recent years with the LED fogs, yank 'em out and fab up a bracket, like your crazy pal Xan is thinking about doing. ;)
Man, I'm seeing great output from those on the examples vids I can find, the bulb itself is the housing and seems to be solid... only downside is indeed no yellow option by default, which for FOG lights there should be but Ron has a great price on the Lamin-X too... But yeah the Rally Innovations is over $250, but if they truly perform well as fog lights and you need that specifically a lot I can see that being worth it.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #28
Remember, light output is only one part of the story ;)
Yeah, of course man, but I saw some good light up front down low where it counts, maybe I'm just less picky when it comes to fogs, but looked like it was putting light where it matters... [dunno]

Bluedrank

Personally, I'd say the Rally Innovations ones are going to be the top performing choice in terms of stock fitting fog lights. I also think at that price point I'd be too worried about their cost and close proximity to the road to really enjoy driving them on the street.

I splurged for the Diode Dynamics Luxeon LEDs. I don't find them to be as staggering of a difference as their video suggests, but it's also not the worst buying decision I've made for this car. I'm pleased with their performance, and actually find that their ability to light up dark corners during turning is their best quality by far. I paired them with a $30 dollar set of brighter halogen headlights and it's almost always bright enough for me now unless I'm driving at 2am in the mountains of NC. Also, I'm not afraid of them bursting into flames like I would be with the no-name Chinese crap. So that's nice.
I'd say go with the one that Ron offers and be done with it. The install is easy, especially if you take off your headlights really fast to access them from the top.

ROCKYFiestta

thanks bro when i get to buying a set of fogs i am definitely going the the dynamics glad you verified they are as awesome as the video showed. my jaw hit the floor when i saw those puppies light up. [unbelieveable]

One question I always had with the DD Luxeon and Morimotos, are the bulbs in them replaceable?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #33
One question I always had with the DD Luxeon and Morimotos, are the bulbs in them replaceable?
I'm almost positive that they are not, they were clearly described as the housing being the bulb it self... That said, sucks you can't service them but they will last a LONG time.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm almost positive that they are not, they were clearly described as the housing being the bulb it self... That said, sucks you can't service them but they will last a LONG time.
If they don't get plugged by rocks or road debris first! [sad]

Well that's a bit of a shame. Seeing as if the lights aren't bright enough, I'd want to switch the bulbs but keep the housing since its constructed better than stock I would assume.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #36
Well that's a bit of a shame. Seeing as if the lights aren't bright enough, I'd want to switch the bulbs but keep the housing since its constructed better than stock I would assume.
As in dim with age? I mean, all the pics and videos show they are extremely bright and have a 3 year warranty... I think it was Mod Bargains had the Diode Dynamics for $128, good deal, but think that was only for Black Friday...

ROCKYFiestta

how do you adjust the height of the diode i have to remove them tomm to fix the wiring on one of them and wanted to know how i can adjust them up more

CSM

1000 Post Club
how do you adjust the height of the diode i have to remove them tomm to fix the wiring on one of them and wanted to know how i can adjust them up more
Having this problem too, installed a pair of DD Luxeons and they are nice but angled WAAYY too far down....not much brighter than OEM.

There is a phillips head adjuster on the bottom of the assembly (should be a white knob with a phillips slot on bottom). I think counter clockwise raises it? But not too sure. I haven't had a chance to adjust mine yet.

I have the DD Luxeons on my car and I think they are just OK. They may be a bit better than the stock ones but in the real world I am not noticing a big difference. The reason I got them is because a rock went through one of my stock fog lights and thought it was a good time to "upgrade". I was expecting to be blown away when I installed them .... I was not. If I was doing this again I would look for something else.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #40
Interesting replies... I guess everyone's expectations are different, I feel fog lights are really to just help light immediately in front of the car below the headlights, more of a pedestrian/other object right in front of you extra visibility. I'm not even expecting much of actual fog piercing light, although I have the yellow Lamin-X to help with that some... What seemed to help mine was taking out the 4 sided LED's and putting regular double sided LED's so as to not project too high... I'm not even going to worry about replacement assemblies anymore, I'm happy with the bit of extra illumination from having decent LED bulbs in there now. So, if anything, I'll replace those bulbs if need be, with 2 sided, probably 4300k color, to go with my yellow Lamin-X the best.

Last edited: