Welcome to Fiesta ST Forum, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals

State
    TX
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    You guys crack me up. I’m one that learned out of necessity. Went to the library for Chiltons and Haynes. Still have a few that I spent my last $15 on when I was 17.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New Member 11 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals

State
    MA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok - After having the DD Luxeons for 2 years i decided to do something about the underwhelming performance. I opened up the fender panel and cranked down the adjusters. All i can say is WOW!!! there is a huge difference. i only wish i did this when i first got them and was not happy. Any one that has these and is not happy do what i did and use the adjustment screw to focus them up.
    From my reading there are 2 kinds of screws that were used on these. Mine had a small vertical white plastic screw, a stubby philips screwdriver does the trick. It made an enormous difference. I would say i can almost use the fog lights as primary driving lights now. Previously they just let up the pavement a few feet in front of the car. Now they shine like some of the photos. Its night and day the difference.

Ratings | Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points
    State
    GA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vixenlotus View Post
    Ok - After having the DD Luxeons for 2 years i decided to do something about the underwhelming performance. I opened up the fender panel and cranked down the adjusters. All i can say is WOW!!! there is a huge difference. i only wish i did this when i first got them and was not happy. Any one that has these and is not happy do what i did and use the adjustment screw to focus them up.
    From my reading there are 2 kinds of screws that were used on these. Mine had a small vertical white plastic screw, a stubby philips screwdriver does the trick. It made an enormous difference. I would say i can almost use the fog lights as primary driving lights now. Previously they just let up the pavement a few feet in front of the car. Now they shine like some of the photos. Its night and day the difference.
    My thoughts EXACTLY! The ones I recently ordered are aimed HORRIBLY and after adjusting the screw I am much happier with their performance.

I still think the Morimotos may be a touch higher output but still happy with my DD Luxeon purchase, especially the Black Friday Price I got them for :)
    2014 Molten Orange
    Pwnall IC, Dizzy 93/E30 V2 tune, Injen Intake
    Boomba Recirculating BPV, Sparco Pro Corsa+Indy 500

New Member 6 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals

State
    NV
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by danbfree View Post
    Pretty sure Morimoto moved on to an updated design while DD still has the original...
    Yes, and it's not for the better. This guy showed it pretty well I'm his comparison video below. Also someone in in the comments noted Morimoto now uses a different reflector behind the projector lens vs Diode keeping with the original design. They both used the original ESUSE design but Morimoto changed theirs to be private labeled.

I used the Diode Dynamics XB back on my previous 2016 WRX and it performed flawlessly. I now have both the Diode Dynamics 5500K and Morimoto 3000K Yellow Set enroute for comparison on he Fiesta.

http://youtu.be/ZbaTpbSU91A

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points
    Country
    Canada
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The gen2 morimoto is slightly better performing than the gen1 morimoto / diode dynamics versions in most real life use.

The video isn't really that good for representing these two foglights. I've used both on my fiesta st and also use the gen2 morimoto on my sti.

While I also won't show any real data I have tested them with a lux meter at multiple distances and found that the gen2 beam is much better focused and therefore has noticeably higher lux at longer distances. The gen1/dd spreads the beam much closer to the car and therefore is "dimmer" in normal use on the road. This also requires aiming it more towards the ground as the beam spread means it will turn to slight glare ahead of the car. This actually makes the oem halogen headlights seem a bit brighter so maybe this is helpful (i have had multiple retrofits so no need for that in my case).

The gen1/dd is wider than gen2 however on a Fiesta this isn't such a bad thing as the housing blocks the extreme edges anyways so you never get the use of this extra width in reality.

The best thing for these is to apply some laminx when new so that you can replace it yearly to ensure best light transmission as the lens will get severely pitted in very short amounts of time due to soft plastic.

Some pics of gen2.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

New Member 6 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals

State
    NV
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred View Post
    The gen2 morimoto is slightly better performing than the gen1 morimoto / diode dynamics versions in most real life use.

The video isn't really that good for representing these two foglights. I've used both on my fiesta st and also use the gen2 morimoto on my sti...
    Interesting. Thx for the info @blurred. I guess I'll return the DD Gen 1 units.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456