Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Good cheap random orbital?

i do just have to chime in.
"Good" and "cheap" never go together well.
If you're going to use it often, or want consistent results, buy a quality tool that will last.

I disagree. Some things are good AND cheap. Simple.

But... there is always a more expensive option. For everything.

For the HF DA in particular, I have used it with satisfactory results, but Im not really entering my car into a show, nor do I have the eye to discern the minute differences. I just want a nice level layer of wax to protect my paint. I have also used it to bring aluminum panels to a mirror polish with zero swirls.

YMMV, but its one helluva deal

OP
D

DAPR

Thread Starter #5
I disagree. Some things are good AND cheap. Simple.

But... there is always a more expensive option. For everything.

For the HF DA in particular, I have used it with satisfactory results, but Im not really entering my car into a show, nor do I have the eye to discern the minute differences. I just want a nice level layer of wax to protect my paint. I have also used it to bring aluminum panels to a mirror polish with zero swirls.

YMMV, but its one helluva deal
Exactly what I wanted to hear. Sometimes there are hidden values! Looks like it would just need a quality backing plate and I'd be good to go!

V_2

HF polisher, DA sander are just fine, as are their el cheapo HVLP guns for laying down primer.

Proper prep, technique, and patience are always key.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
The porter cable copy at hf is not bad at all for the money. They also have pads and a few cutting waxes there also. Remember pol clay before you wax! Not that crapy lil mothers bar either. I myself use clay magic.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Another +1 for the HF DA, have one I've been using for about 4 years on about 10 or so cars with no issues. The only "mods" I've done to it are repack with better grease, a new backing plate and longer cord.

Been doing part time body work 40 years. Best USA brands are Viking, National Detroit, or Hutchins. Still using ones I bought in the early 80s. Professionals usually steer clear of the cheap ones.

anticon

I got the harbor freight one and a different pad, but I couldnt get it apart to add grease. I think the newer model doesnt come apart the same way as the older one.

XanRules

Another vote for the HF. There's a mod for changing out the grease and a backing plate mod (I don't remember more details, I just remember reading about them when I bought mine) and it's totally fine for the hobbyist just doing their own car every so often. Is it as good as budget standbys like the PC7424XP? No, but it's like $40 on sale.

Get a good kit of foam pads and polishes from autogeek or autopia and you'll be all set.