Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Krug Throws Parts at His Car: The Thread

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Ya there is a shop up in Simi that does this stuff all the time their street quote is $1200, my friend can get the hook up for $800. The LSD is definitely rising to the top of my list of mods even before a turbo upgrade. It just makes sense . I know Butterybunz was saying it is unescessary for a car used mainly on the street but damn it I want all the positives about it. Taking away torque steer is big! The minute I added tunes TQ steer reared its ugly head.
Not to derail the thread, but what tires are you on? A quality manufacturer?

I had some 'cheap' Goodyear's (link if you're curious what they actually are) and oh my god - the car became so sketchy to drive over 60% throttle. Tires would pull it ALL over the road. Fuckin' scary trying to power down and pass cars. Tossed on my Continentals and BAM! Torque steer damn near eliminated. Very happy and I guess I'll just do some burnouts on the shitty ones - they would be adequate for a commuter car but not at this power level.

Having saved a bunch on my trailer purchase I'm going the same route as you are... Mountune radiator and Quaife LSD are on order. Having the new Fiesta ST come factory with a Quaife LSD leads me to believe the engineers recognized the drawbacks of an open unit and in order to maximize traction the LSD is truly needed. Can't wait. You've sold me on the whole deal (not that it took much...)

Great thread, thanks for the install info.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Not to derail the thread, but what tires are you on? A quality manufacturer?

I had some 'cheap' Goodyear's (link if you're curious what they actually are) and oh my god - the car became so sketchy to drive over 60% throttle. Tires would pull it ALL over the road. Fuckin' scary trying to power down and pass cars. Tossed on my Continentals and BAM! Torque steer damn near eliminated. Very happy and I guess I'll just do some burnouts on the shitty ones - they would be adequate for a commuter car but not at this power level.

Having saved a bunch on my trailer purchase I'm going the same route as you are... Mountune radiator and Quaife LSD are on order. Having the new Fiesta ST come factory with a Quaife LSD leads me to believe the engineers recognized the drawbacks of an open unit and in order to maximize traction the LSD is truly needed. Can't wait. You've sold me on the whole deal (not that it took much...)

Great thread, thanks for the install info.
I am still on Factory tires RE50 Bridgestones right now and fast exceeding their limits. In fact I heat blistered the fronts on the Crest (Angeles Crest Highway) a few weeks back. lol
As far as LSD goes?I think Krug and I just came to the conclusion after reading pretty much all positive and no negative that it was a smart thing to do . Especially if you are doing performance driving.

My car will wind up with a LSD before it gets a bigger turbo but they are kind of battling each other for who wins the get in first. Lol
I am just trying to decided on which to put in I am kind sold on the Wavtrac.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Wavetrac are good. They're all pretty good, honestly. But, in case you're curious, here's why I chose Mfactory's standard helical LSD...

1. The Kaaz clutch/plate style LSD could technically offer the best performance on the track and offer some degree of adjustability but due to the way it functions it will eventually need service and can throw particulates of clutch material into your gear oil. I doubt it would require servicing often but I never want to need to open my transmission again, thank you. A helical LSD will easily last the life of the car or beyond with no servicing required.

2. The Quaife unit is overpriced. Mfactory's unit is essentially identical and lower cost.

3. Wavetrac's special design that allows it to overcome the "open diff" phenomenon helical diffs can suffer from when under a zero-traction/freewheeling situation is rendered moot by two things (not counting the rarity of this situation). First is the FiST's ESC/ABS and torque vectoring systems. Even if you turn ESC off torque vectoring will remain on, which is actually a good thing because it compliments the function of a helical LSD. The cure to an open diff situation is to blip the brakes to allow the LSD to "sense load" and lock. The various stability systems of the FiST react much faster than you or I could hope to. The second reason (though I may be wrong here) is that many helical LSDs will only allow a few rotations of freewheeling before locking anyway. I've read that a Wavetrac rep or engineer had actually remarked that their special feature is basically unneeded on the FIST. To my knowledge I have yet to run into this issue with my Mfactory LSD.

4. I got a killer deal, like $560 or so, on a Mfactory LSD that was produced the very day I placed my order, by purchasing direct through them here on the forums.

Now I'm not going to poopoo any of our LSD options, because I think they're all great. Just choose what you prefer, but do it with eyes open.
No not all, in fact thank you for a very well laid out concise analysis of the situation and pros/cons of the options. I would never consider a clutch plate LSD in a FWD drive car so I agree about it not being an option.
You almost have me considering Mfactory I am a sucker for good deals.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Glad I can help! However, my suggestions aren't law and you don't need to follow the crowd. Just be sure that you're making the best choice for YOU.
Oh trust me, I am not one to follow a crowd. Lol I just take everything in and weigh all the factors and decide. I am still not completely decided and before I learned about Wavtrac was going towards Mfactory. Seeing as it’s so much cheaper than Quaife, though Quaife has long been considered the best Helical.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Quaife also used to be much more reasonably priced. I think they're great, but you do pay for the name. Nothing about the Mfactory LSD has caused me to question the quality or performance, and I would absolutely choose their products again.
Good to hear! I'm a sucker name brands (knowing the manufacturing and research and design that comes with 'inventing' a market VS those who just follow and copy / reverse engineer designs) and the Quaife unit is on sale through Mountune USA so the trigger was pulled.

I was looking at the MFactory LSD as an option as well - perhaps going through Whoosh but that didn't pan out.

Mikey456

I am still on Factory tires RE50 Bridgestones right now and fast exceeding their limits. In fact I heat blistered the fronts on the Crest (Angeles Crest Highway) a few weeks back. lol
As far as LSD goes?I think Krug and I just came to the conclusion after reading pretty much all positive and no negative that it was a smart thing to do . Especially if you are doing performance driving.

My car will wind up with a LSD before it gets a bigger turbo but they are kind of battling each other for who wins the get in first. Lol
I am just trying to decided on which to put in I am kind sold on the Wavtrac.
It seems like you push the car pretty hard if you are burning through the stock tires. Was this due to the tune upgrade? Would you have considered a LSD if you were running a stock tune or would it not be necessary? Also, I noticed dropping tire psi in my stock tires helps with traction in the second gear turns. I’m running 36psi cold for my daily use.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
It seems like you push the car pretty hard if you are burning through the stock tires. Was this due to the tune upgrade? Would you have considered a LSD if you were running a stock tune or would it not be necessary? Also, I noticed dropping tire psi in my stock tires helps with traction in the second gear turns. I’m running 36psi cold for my daily use.
One I have ST XTA Coilovers. Two I do have a tune but have not put on my upgraded intercooler on yet. So I am only running Stage 1 right now.
Three, I am pretty hardcore in the corners . Up on the crest you barely run 2nd its mostly 3rd and 4th.
In other words yes I push the car hard. My experience tells a LSD would do nothing built help in the cars handling prowess. It definitely would not take away and its no coincidence that Ford saw to it to make the Quaife an option on the MK8 in Europe its not like that car has much more HP than ours stock form. The minute we tune are at a bit more power than it stock..

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Nice! I'm sure it'll serve you well. You'll definitely love the way your car powers out of corners, pushes through poor traction scenarios, and accelerates straight as an arrow. I can't really speak to Mfactory having copied anyone's design per se, considering the history of differential development, so here's what I know:

Now, for the record and for whatever it's worth, I work in automotive benchmarking (engineering/design/production, not dyno power figure stuff) and am currently studying to become a mechanical engineer. I'm constantly exposed to a wealth of information about automotive history, design, the hows and whys of it all, and get to tear into current models from a variety of manufacturers in great detail*. Doesn't make me an expert, by far, but anyways...

Quaife did not invent the helical/geared limited-slip differential, although they do have a European patent for their specific design which they call "Automatic Torque Biasing" or ATB and have been very successful at becoming the "name brand" in the market, akin to how everyone would call tissues "Kleenex." Vernon Gleasman invented the original geared LSD around 1949, which he called the Torsen Torque-Sensing differential. This is the design that all geared limited slip differentials can trace their roots to. The original "T-1" design could be found in a number of vehicles, including older Audi Quattros, Subaru Imprezas, and the US Army's own Humvee. There are many varieties of the Torsen LSD depending on the requirements of usage scenarios, and different revisions (T-2, T-3) that use different gear types. Varieties of the Torsen can also be found in some Toyota Supras, the Chevy Trailblazer SS, and others. Torsen LSDs are, to my knowledge, OEM equipment only. Quaife stormed the aftermarket, and so is more widely known.
My 2000 Z28 came from the factory with a Torsen T-1 diff installed in it's 10 bolt rear axle.

Torsen DID offer aftermarket T-2 diffs for this car (until they had a plague of cracked case issues on THAT diff only [:(]), with uprated pre-load, and a MUCH higher bias ratio (like 4:1 vs. the ~2:1 of the T-1).
I beleive that they made this T-2 diff for a few other axle apps, and that it IS the current 'Track Pack' diff included in the Stang option (standard on the GT350), and sold through Ford Performance for anyone else wanting to install one on a base 5.0. [wink]

dude I was in VA last month and saw a focus wagon. it was a manual, lowered and had ST wheels on it. I would def daily that thing lol

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
If you haven't fallen in love with Fluid Film on the East coast you should definitely look in to it - shit is amazing for stopping rust from forming in those hidden areas where the water can penetrate but never dry out. I've blasted the underside of the Fiesta and my other vehicles too, gotta try and keep the water off metal!

That intercooler is a big one! Who makes it?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
:whistle:

View attachment 21669

There is a retired Ford engineer, somewhat local to me, selling his 2003 SVT with a buttload of mods including a Jackson Racing supercharger. It "only" produces about 225hp, but is immaculate and looks to have been maintained very well with less than 100k on it. Unfortunately, the body kit and some of the additional badges he added are, uh... A little 2 Fast 2 Furious: Fate of the Tokyo Derp style. And he's asking $8k for it. Beyond that, it seems like a pretty fantastic example of an iconic hot hatch.
I Told all of you....BravoAlpha's intercooler is Gifuckingnormus! That's not my Hand though in this picture....But it does show how big this intercooler really is and you DONT NEED the Silly DHM CRASHBAR! It fits like a glove! Put everyone else's crap on hold and get that beast installed! Pronto!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Coolnezzz For Sale 7