Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Power loss from muffler delete?

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Hey everybody.

For those of you who have done muffler deletes, specifically without any other power mods done (i.e., stock), has anybody experienced any horsepower/torque/throttle response loss?

I have read a few posts regarding the topic as well as YouTube comments from muffler delete sound clips, and couldn't find anything conclusive.

Thanks for your time.
-Ivan

redmoe

This is a hotly debated topic in naturally aspirated engines but not really relevant for turbocharged engines.

The turbo will typically perform better with the most open exhaust possible but for our cars larger pipe diameter and even a cat delete do not yield much improvement due to the inherent restriction of the stock turbo.

OP
FiSTerMr

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
This is a hotly debated topic in naturally aspirated engines but not really relevant for turbocharged engines.

The turbo will typically perform better with the most open exhaust possible but for our cars larger pipe diameter and even a cat delete do not yield much improvement due to the inherent restriction of the stock turbo.
Right, that's exactly what I thought. Turbo needs bigger exhaust to perform better. With N/A, you would need more fuel, air to accompany the free'er flowing exhaust.

Let's be clear, I do not want more power , more power means AP, means possible warranty issues should arise. Just a louder exhaust without an actual power penalty

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Right, that's exactly what I thought. Turbo needs bigger exhaust to perform better. With N/A, you would need more fuel, air to accompany the free'er flowing exhaust.

Let's be clear, I do not want more power , more power means AP, means possible warranty issues should arise. Just a louder exhaust without an actual power penalty
If you do a straight muffler delete it shouldn’t do anything other than sound gross - though it might change the delivery of the power so you don’t feel a “kick” as much as a slow build if the muffler was really that restrictive.

OP
FiSTerMr

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
If you do a straight muffler delete it shouldn’t do anything other than sound gross - though it might change the delivery of the power so you don’t feel a “kick” as much as a slow build if the muffler was really that restrictive.
"Sound gross"? What do you recommend? I'm trying to be cost efficient and figured this was a good way to go about it. On the WRX I had , I installed axleback deletes. I personally thought they sounded great.

TBH, listening to clips of FiSTs with deletes, don't exactly inspire me, but I thinkit still sounds better than stock, and is a very affordable alternative to cat back.

So, what you're saying is, throttle response would be reduced? That would suck.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Can you live with the exhaust drone everyday? Realize you do have a resonator in the front as well?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
FiSTerMr

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
Can you live with the exhaust drone everyday? Realize you do have a resonator in the front as well?
Yes and yes. I went through the whole, "res delete, muffler delete, res AND muffler delete" scenarios.
I wouldn't want to do both, as I think that's heavily drone prone. Doing just the res doesnt yield much results according to what I've read/heard via YouTube.

The 3rd option that I've been playing around with is deleting the res and swapping out the stock muffler for a glasspack type. But I think the res does more for drone reduction than the muffler, considering its placement on the car.

A 4th option was deleting the muffler and swapping the stock res for a Vibrant res. But if I'm going that route, I might as well start with just the muffler delete and go from there.

Of course the 5th option is to lay down some serious "coin" for the Cobb catback (IMO, the best sounding of the aftermarket setups). But then there's the diameter of the piping that has to be considered, and do I need a tune (not going there). Muffler delete seems like the simplest and cheapest route that will yield considerable results.

As for drone specifically, I can live with some. My wrx had a decent amount with deletes on the highway at 70+ mph, and I got used to it.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Yes and yes. I went through the whole, "res delete, muffler delete, res AND muffler delete" scenarios.
I wouldn't want to do both, as I think that's heavily drone prone. Doing just the res doesnt yield much results according to what I've read/heard via YouTube.

The 3rd option that I've been playing around with is deleting the res and swapping out the stock muffler for a glasspack type. But I think the res does more for drone reduction than the muffler, considering its placement on the car.

A 4th option was deleting the muffler and swapping the stock res for a Vibrant res. But if I'm going that route, I might as well start with just the muffler delete and go from there.

Of course the 5th option is to lay down some serious "coin" for the Cobb catback (IMO, the best sounding of the aftermarket setups). But then there's the diameter of the piping that has to be considered, and do I need a tune (not going there). Muffler delete seems like the simplest and cheapest route that will yield considerable results.

As for drone specifically, I can live with some. My wrx had a decent amount with deletes on the highway at 70+ mph, and I got used to it.

It's usually better to either do something right or not do it at all. Cutting off the muffler sounds exactly like you cut the muffler off. It doesn't sound like an exhaust system, it just sounds like a bastardized stock exhaust.

If you already have in your head that the Cobb is the sound you want, you won't be satisfied with fart piping your car - either get the Cobb you want or leave it alone until you can afford to do so. No other solution you nickel and dime is ever going to make you happy so long as your ideal sound is the Cobb. You'll always wonder "what if". You know what you want to do, just save up your money and do it. Do not worry about the diameter of the Cobb exhaust unless you plan on going big turbo; this information is plainly available on the forum if you look around.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
I didn't think my muffler delete was bad at all. To each there own. It only costed me 30 bucks. It did drone but I think because my old car was so loud the drone didn't get to me. I wanted more sound at the time and the delete was fun to DIY. Later I replaced with the cp-e system. Now every so often I switch the res delete pipe just to change the sound for fun. The muffler delete is cheap and if you dont like it then save up for the cobb. If you have no plans for a turbo swap the cobb is plenty big enough (pipe size). Also a bolt on exhaust will not require an AP. The muffler delete is cheap enough to do for fun and get your bolt on later. If you do a clean enough cut the muffler can be welded back on very easily. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ROCKYFiestta

for future reference can the cobb exhaust still be used on a puma speed turbo? i have hopes of doing like 250 whp max so i was wondering if the cobb would be enough for that type of turbo. is the cobb 2.25" or 2.5" i dont think it is 3" otherwise it would be fine for all turbos.

OP
FiSTerMr

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #13
I didn't think my muffler delete was bad at all. To each there own. It only costed me 30 bucks. It did drone but I think because my old car was so loud the drone didn't get to me. I wanted more sound at the time and the delete was fun to DIY. Later I replaced with the cp-e system. Now every so often I switch the res delete pipe just to change the sound for fun. The muffler delete is cheap and if you dont like it then save up for the cobb. If you have no plans for a turbo swap the cobb is plenty big enough (pipe size). Also a bolt on exhaust will not require an AP. The muffler delete is cheap enough to do for fun and get your bolt on later. If you do a clean enough cut the muffler can be welded back on very easily. Good luck!
Thanks for the info! Good to know that a bolt on exhaust does not need a tune.

Honestly, I'm just looking for volume, "been there done that" power-wise. I think this car has the perfect amount of power for what it is.

Did you notice any power difference for better or worse doing the muffler delete?

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I don't care what type of Turbo you put on a 1.6 liter engine you don't need a 3 inch exhaust. You have twin turbo V6 engines with one single exhaust makeing 450 horsepower. Personal opinion. It's not a diesel truck with a massive engine and turbo.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
A 2.5" inch exhaust will flow 250whp just fine. I have always believed that I would rather flow more than enough than just barely. I got my 3" turbo back set up for when ever I upgrade my turbo. Dont know when but it will happen.

I noticed absolutely no loss in power whatsoever. Even just the muffler delete resulted is a lot of pops and gurgles.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
FiSTerMr

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #18
I'm with those who say that if the Cobb is what you like, save your pennies and get a Cobb.

It sounds cool. It looks cool. Not too drone-y. Better get the hangers, too.

Blip that throttle with pride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO66BLGlpgM
Thanks for the advice, I might just go that route.

Btw, you tricked me with your YouTube link, I expected to hear a Cobb exhaust, haha. Now I'm thirsty