Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune MRX Turbo Nightmare

CSM

1000 Post Club
IMO the locking fasteners are a Mickey Mouse solution, for this or similarly with the ATP kit. There’s a more elegant way without having to add parts. New parts yes, adding more no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But locktite + fasteners will solve the problem right? Doing my research as I will be going turbo upgrade next year

koozy

3000 Post Club
I wouldn’t put too much faith with loctite @ 2,000 degrees F. Turbo/manifold can get glowing red hot.

Loctite is rated at ~500F. There’s also the downside of using loctite with the possibility of ending up with seized fasteners. Not fun when it comes time to remove them.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I agree on that everyone's like loctite this and loctite that I've never used loctite on anything never had a problem. I can't stand threads gunked up with crap.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I wouldn’t put too much faith with loctite @ 2,000 degrees F. Turbo/manifold can get glowing red hot.

Loctite is rated at ~500F. There’s also the downside of using loctite with the possibility of ending up with seized fasteners. Not fun when it comes time to remove them.

High temp Blue#2422 goes to 625° F...plus locking washers...should be good to go!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I don't suggest any variety of Loctite for extreme high temp situations, especially if there is any chance at all that you may need or want to remove that fastener again.

Anecdote: I knew a guy that used Loctite to affix a barrel on one of his guns to prevent it from "walking out" and altering the aim, which is something he had been having trouble with while trying to zero-in the sights. After a couple of rounds at the range, his problem was solved! Until he tried to swap the barrel. The heat had basically turned the Loctite into epoxy. Last I knew he was never able to get that barrel off. [hihi]

For the heat of a turbo? The Loctite will likely either burn away (negating any benefit) or bake on and make servicing a nightmare.
Wrong type of loctite used I will guarantee that....it all depends on material....type of loctite being used. Wrong material ....wrong loctite....no worky. I've used loctite in many application with success. Just because your a Dr. Doesn't mean you get to do brain surgery.

koozy

3000 Post Club
Anyways... there’s a more elegant solution, no loctite, no hideous looking hardware.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Don't get me wrong, I use Loctite regularly. Good stuff. I just never use it in extreme temp scenarios, since I'd rather not take the risk.
Oh I got you....I've seen that stuff used totally wrong.....totally dumpster fire to deal with!

slopoke

Best solution would be an inconel 600 (2000 F), 601 (2200 F), 625 (1800 F), 718 (1300 F), 725 (1300 F) self locking nut. Not something your local hardware store carries. Next possible solution, if space permits, use another lock nut as a jam nut. If you have the experience, you could drill a safety wire hole into a non self locking nut and safety wire them. If you don't know how, there are drill guides available out there to hold the nut and has a angled hole to drill a diagonal hole going from adjacent flats.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
The next question is....Who has a Garrett Turbo and has encountered this problem? I've checked mine out and they were still all intact and snugged up. Anyone else have issues besides The Mountune MRX guys?

Last edited:

Perfblue15

1000 Post Club
The next question is....Who has a Garrett Turbo and has encountered this problem? I've checked mine out and they were still all intact and snugged up. Anyone else have issues besides The Mountune MRX guys?
I encountered this issue with my ATP kit. It's fairly common with any 5 bolt flanged IWG garret turbo. I never came up with a solution for the issue because I bought a DHM turbo kit.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I encountered this issue with my ATP kit. It's fairly common with any 5 bolt flanged IWG garret turbo. I never came up with a solution for the issue because I bought a DHM turbo kit.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I'm gonna Re-check again here soon just for Shits...If I find anything ill snap some pics! [neener]

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Whats backing off here, the stud or the nut. Studs need to be torqued during installation not just screwed in finger tight.
Out of interest, PumaSpeed sell these locking fasteners for the downpipe.

http://www.pumaspeed.co.uk/product-Turbo-to-Downpipe-Locking-Fasteners---16-Ecoboost_17466.jsp&pic=2

View attachment 19312

Bolt locking tabs work too.

View attachment 19313
Its the Nuts on the housing of the Garrett Style MRX turbo that are encountering a loosening somehow.[crazyeye] There is a picture at the begging of the thread also.....[popcorn]

IMO the locking fasteners are a Mickey Mouse solution, for this or similarly with the ATP kit. There’s a more elegant way without having to add parts. New parts yes, adding more no.

What’s your preferred solution?

slopoke

Regarding the fasteners loosening. If you know how to use safety wire, you could pull the studs on the turbine exhaust to turbo flange and use bolts. Drill safety wire holes in the bolt heads and safety wire them with .032 wire. I'm seriously considering getting a GTX2860R, I will probably go the safety wire route on mine using ARP fasteners with a 12 point head. Since 12 point fasteners are more prone to stripping, I will use anti-seize on the bolts prior to installation to help when having to ever remove them.

Go get one and join the drama! Mo' power mo' problems. I've cooled off today and put my soap box away. I was excited and pissed all at once. I appreciate the tips from everyone, this is the first "big turbo" Ive ever bought so new to this game.
So now that you're getting full boost, how do you like the MRX? How is the spool at lowish revs (2500-3500 rpm)?

Se7eN

So now that you're getting full boost, how do you like the MRX? How is the spool at lowish revs (2500-3500 rpm)?
Erm, basically life starts after 3,000rpm, at around 3,500rpm usually pulling around 15psi in 3rd. For reference, did a dyno run by accident in Eco-Mode which uses the waste gate spring for boost just around 13psi and made about the same WHP as I did on stock turbo tune with decent gas.

Daily isn't bad at all, you just need to get used to revving a little higher.