Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune MRX Turbo Nightmare

OP
FiSTicuffs
Thread Starter #21
Go get one and join the drama! Mo' power mo' problems. I've cooled off today and put my soap box away. I was excited and pissed all at once. I appreciate the tips from everyone, this is the first "big turbo" Ive ever bought so new to this game.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
I feel like if you're going to release a product you should support your product. If it's a known issue, then they should come with the mrx kit for free.
Someone should comment in the review section. Probably never be approved.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
They should mail out those kits to every customer as a token of their appreciation to those who bought that turbo.....If not just go to the local hardware store and get some lockwashers or use red threadlocker! [loveboost]

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
They can't even mail out actual products that people have paid for, you expect them to mail out some freebies!? LOL

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
They should mail out those kits to every customer as a token of their appreciation to those who bought that turbo.....If not just go to the local hardware store and get some lockwashers or use red threadlocker! [loveboost]
I'm not sure locktite can handle the heat at the turbo exhaust outlet. It will just burn away which is why locking fasteners are used there. I've seen owners actually weld the adapter in place on this kit and the ATP due to hardware backing out.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm not sure locktite can handle the heat at the turbo exhaust outlet. It will just burn away which is why locking fasteners are used there. I've seen owners actually weld the adapter in place on this kit and the ATP due to hardware backing out.
http://m.loctiteproducts.com/p/10/0/15/t_lkr_red/Loctite-Threadlocker-Red-271

It's for high temp....you have to use a torch to get it loose if utilized correctly.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
http://m.loctiteproducts.com/p/10/0/15/t_lkr_red/Loctite-Threadlocker-Red-271

It's for high temp....you have to use a torch to get it loose if utilized correctly.

interesting for sure
I've installed a few turbos in my day, never had to use locktite to keep anything in place. So if heat is used to remove the locktite, wouldn't heat from the turbo loosen the studs with locktite applied LOL

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
interesting for sure
I've installed a few turbos in my day, never had to use locktite to keep anything in place. So if heat is used to remove the locktite, wouldn't heat from the turbo loosen the studs with locktite applied LOL
How hot is a torch? Vs. A Turbo exhaust? I'd say a lot hotter...

Last edited:

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
How hot is a torch? Vs. A Turbo exhaust? I'd say a lot hotter...

I'm just playing around
I do think the turbine will see over 500 degrees though especially since EGT's are in the 1500-1700 degree range at least from other vehicles I've monitored

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm just playing around
I do think the turbine will see over 500 degrees though especially since EGT's are in the 1500-1700 degree range at least from other vehicles I've monitored
Oh Ron....I know dawg

Last edited:
Seems a little pricey for re-bagging some fasteners [8]
https://www.stage8.com/product/3905-ford-fiesta-downpipe-turbo-bolt-kit-8mm-1-25-x-30mm/

Yes, I realize this isn't the exact sizes or quantity used in the MRX kit.
I'm just posting this so that a reader can form their own opinion of how much Mountune is charging for their middleman services, any affected MRX owners ought to perform their own due diligence and determine what this "service" is worth to them.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Seems a little pricey for re-bagging some fasteners [8]
https://www.stage8.com/product/3905-ford-fiesta-downpipe-turbo-bolt-kit-8mm-1-25-x-30mm/

Yes, I realize this isn't the exact sizes or quantity used in the MRX kit.
I'm just posting this so that a reader can form their own opinion of how much Mountune is charging for their middleman services, any affected MRX owners ought to perform their own due diligence and determine what this "service" is worth to them.
I will agree....

Thanks Fisticuffs for bringing this up, I too just found my turbo barely hanging on after 2000 miles with the fasteners either backed out or jumped right the F off of my car:

dpAdapter.JPG

I was also foolish in assuming these would be torqued properly from Mountune and be expected to stay tight over time (novice weekend warrior for working on my car).

$150 seems like quite a price gouge for people who already bought the kit, I've emailed them to see if they'll do anything.

Thanks Blinkie for the fastener link, I'm also going to check McMaster Carr for fasteners since that is one of Mountune's possible suppliers based on a prior conversation I had with them.

Se7eN

I also would like to thank Fisticuffs, my car had a exhaust leak last week and in the weekend went and put the car on the lift and found bolts missing and loose as well. tightened everything up and I'll keep an eye out every oil change to make sure it doesn't happen again.

CSM

1000 Post Club
This is a known issue yet Mountune doesn't supply the locking fasteners at no charge to MRX owners? SMH

koozy

3000 Post Club
IMO the locking fasteners are a Mickey Mouse solution, for this or similarly with the ATP kit. There’s a more elegant way without having to add parts. New parts yes, adding more no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk