Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Will I Miss Not Having Recaros?

Seats are like shoes. Its better you try a pair on first.

During my test drive, the stock seats felt a lot more funny! The recaros felt more tight.

That said, if you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball!!

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I tried both, and prefer the stock seats. I can drive for hours with no issue. Easier to deal with for a DD.

That's just me, though. If you want to track the car, the Recaros are going to be better for that.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I tried both, and prefer the stock seats. I can drive for hours with no issue.
Same here with the base seats.

I drove for about 9 hours straight through with FEW stops (ONCE for fuel, twice for a 'nature call') on my way to NEFR in late July, and did not have ANY physical/'anatomical' problems whatsoever, nor did I feel 'beat up' by these seats, once I got out of the car in Bethel, Maine (and I am 63, and had little sleep before that trip!).

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
I have a feeling many just like the bolsters on the recaros and look past the high ass seating etc. it’s got Recaro on the side it’s gotta be good.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I have a feeling many just like the bolsters on the recaros and look past the high ass seating etc. it’s got Recaro on the side it’s gotta be good.
I went to the Octane thing a few weeks ago. I have a few observations:

All the cars had Recaros. I sat a little more forward and a little higher than what I'm used to for DDing. It's all about going fast and obstacle courses. In that context, the Recaros made perfect sense. They hold you in place.

I drove FoSTs for the first time ever. They're faster, but heavier and a bit squirrel-y, handling-wise, though not bad or hard to deal with. I remain a FiST fan over the FoST. I averaged 31.7 mpg for the 4000 mile trip (took the scenic routes when I could), driving very fast, with little concern for mileage. This car is a peach, and totally composed at 90 mph on the freeway, or on a mountain road (even dirt roads). I get the stiff damping, now.

I was the crappiest driver there, I think. It didn't help that I partied with some old friends the night before, stayed up too late, and didn't get enough sleep. Well, I wasn't just there for Octane Academy.

One guy who drove his FiST from Washington said the Recaros were kicking his ass. He was 6' 3", or so, I'd guess. I drove fast and hard for days, and had no complaints. I'm 6' 1". A woman I also spoke with came up from Texas with stock seats. She and her passenger were comfy all the way. I'd guess she was about 5' 8".

They have some amazing cars inside, where we all met and ate. Almost worth it, just for that. New and old-school GTs. New and old Shelbys. Race Raptors. Drool.

I'm a vegan. They special-made me two big, tasty meals. Everybody was cool af.

If you can go to Octane Academy, DO IT! Pushing the car, even as poorly as I did, taught me a lot about it. My instructor drove it while I sat, and I was blown away. It can corner.

My takeaway is that the FiST is far more capable than I am. It's also cheap, reliable, gets good mileage for the performance level, and I don't need more car.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
it’s got Recaro on the side it’s gotta be good.
HA! See to me, (unlike everyone else who just takes for granted that they are the 'top shelf' epitome of, and ultimate status representation of, automotive seating options) that is a NEGATIVE, given my experiences with that company in the (somewhat) recent past. [:(]

TDavis

1000 Post Club
The Recaro seats was a must have for me. I'm 6'3 175lbs and they fit me perfectly, I've driven 24 hours in them as well and wasn't uncomfortable at all. IMHO the FiST interior looks way to bland with the base interior. Looking more and more at random FiST's I find around town its apparently not common to have Recaros. Also, literally right before the 24 road trip to NY I did a track day. Yes it makes you sit alot more upright with a helmet on but I was by no means leaned forward. Worse comes to worse just take out your headrests.

Just my .2 cents

All personal preference and its not if you're skinny or not because I've had people my same build and they don't like them but most do.

There are a ton of "wtb recaro" threads. I've never seen a "wtb base" thread.

You do the math.
This is a REALLY good point

OP
B
Thread Starter #51
I don't regret not buying the Recaros since it's a $2K upgrade. I don't like the color options and I can retrofit FoST Recaros if need be.
I found a car with 10k more miles (16k vs 6k), fully-loaded (power moon roof, recaros, etc), same color, for $500 less. I lucked out for sure.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I don't regret not buying the Recaros since it's a $2K upgrade. I don't like the color options and I can retrofit FoST Recaros if need be.
IF they were available in ALL dark charcoal/black CLOTH, or alcantara, and had one piece, racing style seat backs without the 90* forward bent head rests, I might have considered them as an option, despite their co$t, and my disdain for Recaro as a company. [wink]

If I read things correctly and you are in San Diego. I can let you take a spin in my car to feel out the Recaros if you want. I took a train to LA to get my car because I wanted Recaros. I wanted to drive this car hard so I wanted them. I'm 6' 220lbs and I feel like I fit great. I drove it to Florence, AZ and felt great when I got there.

OP
B
Thread Starter #54
If I read things correctly and you are in San Diego. I can let you take a spin in my car to feel out the Recaros if you want. I took a train to LA to get my car because I wanted Recaros. I wanted to drive this car hard so I wanted them. I'm 6' 220lbs and I feel like I fit great. I drove it to Florence, AZ and felt great when I got there.
I already got my car (with Recaros)! Thanks man, maybe I'll see you around! 2015 tuxedo black, I'm between Bay Ho, Kearny Mesa, and Mira Mesa most days.

I already got my car (with Recaros)! Thanks man, maybe I'll see you around! 2015 tuxedo black, I'm between Bay Ho, Kearny Mesa, and Mira Mesa most days.

I am off Aero Dr. I'm in a debadged White 15 with Konig Hypergram wheels. I am planning on going to Autocross December 8th. Maybe we can meet up.

OP
B
Thread Starter #57
I am off Aero Dr. I'm in a debadged White 15 with Konig Hypergram wheels. I am planning on going to Autocross December 8th. Maybe we can meet up.
Definitely down to meet up, DM me the info!

There will be plenty of broFiSTs

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
My 2 cents - I was to tall from butt to shoulders to fit in the recaros. The shoulder “wings” poked me in the shoulder blades and made me hunch forward. If you have a long torso and short legs (I call my build penguin-like” the recaros aren’t very comfortable.

I figure if I ever use the st as more than a daily I can just have a driver’s seat made. No need for an aggressive passenger seat.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I was expecting for everyone to come back overwhelmingly for Recaro seats. I'll try them both out and see what I like. I'm kind of feeling based on the feedback that I'll go with the car I've already planned on buying, but we'll see.

Interesting point. My last Audi was lowered on COs and the seats went down quite far, I always loved the driving in a low position, and hate feeling like I'm driving an SUV. Thanks for the rec on Schroth harnesses as well, will look into them.
The Audi 4 cylinders are much more reliable than the others, especially now, say since '15, but I understand where you are coming from after my Audi turned into a money pit also, hence why I now have a FiST... Anyway, I test drove a FiST with Recaro's and they were tight, but they DO break in to you too, but I went non-Recaro to save money too and don't regret it, but also it's a daily with passengers frequently, those side bolsters would be a pain and take a pounding. Also, Recaro's didn't seem too high for me but I'm only 5'9" and it was just a test drive and now I still use the lowest position on the BASE seats... Anyway, I can see why some people insist on them, absolutely, but it would have a been a full 10% of the entire car price to add them and in San Diego you don't need the heated seats and mirrors, so there you go.

OP
B
Thread Starter #60
The Audi 4 cylinders are much more reliable than the others, especially now, say since '15, but I understand where you are coming from after my Audi turned into a money pit also, hence why I now have a FiST... Anyway, I test drove a FiST with Recaro's and they were tight, but they DO break in to you too, but I went non-Recaro to save money too and don't regret it, but also it's a daily with passengers frequently, those side bolsters would be a pain and take a pounding. Also, Recaro's didn't seem too high for me but I'm only 5'9" and it was just a test drive and now I still use the lowest position on the BASE seats... Anyway, I can see why some people insist on them, absolutely, but it would have a been a full 10% of the entire car price to add them and in San Diego you don't need the heated seats and mirrors, so there you go.
My original was an '09. Had the head rebuilt a month after I bought it under warranty. PCV was never replaced despite numerous recalls and updates (which I wasn't made aware of) causing the rear main seal to blow, which meant transmission had to come out, and the engine failed again 15k miles later (the week I moved to CA, so I couldn't deal with it), at which point I sold it and the new owner told me he had to rebuild the head AGAIN, and that the reason it failed was because Audi service techs didn't torque timing chain guides down, so over 15k miles, they backed out and the timing chain snapped off.