Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

SVT Rear Brake Upgrade with OEM Front Brakes

I am a bit confused by this mod (same calipers but bigger rotor). I would not think this would do much other than increasing un-sprung weight (bad). Do you think the stock rotor is overheating?
Am I missing something?

I can lock all for wheels when I step on it so I am not sure more leverage is needed.

Leverage, dude. An increased rotor diameter and caliper offset allows for greater mechanical advantage for the braking mechanism even when everything else (pads, calipers, etc) is the same. It's one reason why upgrading from a 160mm rotor to a 203mm rotor on my bicycle gave me improved stopping power. This would be a cost-effective alternative to BBKs which makes it attractive for anyone with track-day sensibilities or a modding itch.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
just an FYI

we have a 2 piece front rotor kit and large rear rotor kit in the works that includes billet brackets to relocate the OEM calipers front and rear

it's pretty slick and will be very affordable
will only be sold as a kit that addresses all 4 corners

stay tuned[lovest]
Is the rear setup bigger then the SVT rotors?

EDIT: Nvm saw you said the dimensions would be released.

OP
U
Thread Starter #27
Update: Just finished installing the brakes. I’ll post a review in a few days, here’s a few pictures I took.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
U
Thread Starter #29
WoW! thats a ton more rotating unsprung weight!!!!
The weight was very similar, any extra weight for an increase in stopping power and better brake balance is worth it for me. I don’t compete on any level so I don’t care about any minor handling hits, plus I’ll be pairing it with a front Wilwood kit in the future.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Yea big brakes are not needed by me on this car.
I'm in the same boat. The brakes are fine for what I do with it, but I don't track the car, or have 300 hp. It's nice to know the guys who do drive them to the limit can get the brakes to do the job.

OP
U
Thread Starter #31
Hey Guys, I've had the brakes installed for a few weeks so I have some thoughts.

The performance increase is not as drastic as I thought it would be, so I would agree with others that the change is subtle. Noticeable but subtle. Overall I do think this mod was worth it, I have more confidence in the car and I feel like I can brake much later since the car won't be as squirmy in the rear under heavy braking or trail braking. Upgrading the rear brakes has started making me think that my front brakes are not up to par with the Hawk HPS 5.0 pads I installed a little over a year ago. I don't have great response from the front brakes when modulating brake pressure even though I do from the rear. I also cannot engage ABS when it is dry and I am running BFgoodrich Comp 2 All Seasons so I absolutely should be able to. I'll be swapping out the front pads for OEM Performance pads in the next few months and I'll see if that makes the braking more consistent.

If you need to do your rear brakes and you can find these brackets I would absolutely do the upgrade. Although if you are upgrading from perfectly fine rear brakes I'd recommend looking at the Focus RS rear rotor upgrade from Gold Coast since I'm sure that would be a more noticeable upgrade overall.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
I have never heard of the Focus RS rear brake upgrade. Only the SVT Focus... I don't see anything on their website either. Do you have a link?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I have the GCA 302mm kit for over a week now. Paired with Wilwood front BBK.

Pros: The 302mm rear rotors definitely helps keep the rear end from wagging under heavy braking. When braking hard in the straights from 100 mph all 4 tires now brake evenly and car goes straight as a arrow with no drama. The SVT kit I had before would still have a little wiggle. On stock rear rotors forgot about it...major butt pucker. IMO the 302mm rear is a good match (brake bias) for those with a front BBK. I'd say this setup is a good choice for road course work where the speeds are higher.

Cons: They are quite heavy. The unsprung rotational weight you can feel in daily street driving in the FiST. I don't see any real benefit over stock or SVT if only using for street application or even AX.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Cons: They are quite heavy. The unsprung rotational weight you can feel in daily street driving in the FiST. I don't see any real benefit over stock or SVT if only using for street application or even AX.
Here are the comparison weights per each rear wheel.

OEM just rotor is 7lb. 4oz.
SVT just rotor is 8lb. 6oz.

FoRS rotor with the caliper bracket and hardware added is 11lb 2oz.

All other parts are still used in each setup.

BTW, I this test all the rotors were basic style (not drilled or slotted).
The FoRS rotor was drilled to fit the FiST only.

Dave

OP
U
Thread Starter #37
Here are the comparison weights per each rear wheel.

OEM just rotor is 7lb. 4oz.
SVT just rotor is 8lb. 6oz.

FoRS rotor with the caliper bracket and hardware added is 11lb 2oz.

All other parts are still used in each setup.

BTW, I this test all the rotors were basic style (not drilled or slotted).
The FoRS rotor was drilled to fit the FiST only.

Dave
If anyone is serious about reducing the rear unsprung weight gain from this kit I’m sure Gold Coast could drill two piece lightweight rotors for the RS like these :

https://www.racingbrake.com/RB-OE-Two-Piece-Rotor-Kit-for-Ford-Focus-RS-2016-p/for-irk-08.htm

Those are sold as a set for front and rear but I’m sure there is a way to get just the rear rotors and hats.

SST

just an FYI

we have a 2 piece front rotor kit and large rear rotor kit in the works that includes billet brackets to relocate the OEM calipers front and rear

it's pretty slick and will be very affordable
will only be sold as a kit that addresses all 4 corners

stay tuned[lovest]

[MENTION=5976]ron@whoosh[/MENTION], any updates on this kit?