Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Roof issue

OP
Nitelife
Thread Starter #21
Car was back at the shop this morning as the replacement ECU had finally arrived! ECU installed, check engine light noted, reset check code, did not drive car (only 1 mile added after pickup), repair work notes cannot reset oil change minder. Solution return car to customer! I drove down the street and had the check engine light come back, so I turned back. They took the car right in and sure enough P0504 code noted. We'll order you a brake switch sensor and should be able to receive it this afternoon and replace it pretty quickly.

Hmmm...are we performing this maintenance in the correct order? You thought replacing the $800 dollar ECU/PCM that was on back order was the path to take when you could order a $40 brake sensor that can be ordered same day and installed in an hour!?! DUMB. /r

I will be heading back in an hour to get the sensor installed, but I am actually doubting if the brake sensor will solve the issue. Maybe a pinched wire in the back from when they took off the rear hatch for paint.

Sorry for the rant. I had to vent, and continue to document the process. SMDH

OP
Nitelife
Thread Starter #23
They replaced the sensor and it didn't fix the code. The service manager sat and spoke with me and explained how the diagnosis was performed was per factory recommendations, i.e. they back-probe the sensor (which came back error free), then Ford recommends to replace the PCM. That doesn't make sense to me but they went the extra step to replace the sensor just to see, and no dice.

They are kicking it up the chain to Ford engineers but they suspect its a wiring coupler that may have a pulled wire/pin that isn't seating completely when plugged in. I'm almost thinking of pulling the hatch apart and inspecting the brake light connectors and wiring just to see if I can remedy it.

Though with highs in the 20's and still possibility of snowfall here in Pennsylvania I may drag my feet on that for a month or two.[shameful]

I'm actually cooling off from the frustration of this morning. The car still drives fine and still puts a smile on my face. I just have to deal with the orange wrench light on all the time. <shrugz>

I avoid bringing my car into ford at all costs. Every time I do they do some sort of damage. For the most part I think they hire hacks. Its very frustrating. The recall is one case in point. I would love to get it done but I know for a fact that they will screw something up and to me its not worth the trouble.
I am not a big fan of factory service for any car but out of all of the cars I have owned in my life (quite a few) Ford these days has to be the worse. I do not think I can bring myself to buy another ford.

They replaced the sensor and it didn't fix the code. The service manager sat and spoke with me and explained how the diagnosis was performed was per factory recommendations, i.e. they back-probe the sensor (which came back error free), then Ford recommends to replace the PCM. That doesn't make sense to me but they went the extra step to replace the sensor just to see, and no dice.

They are kicking it up the chain to Ford engineers but they suspect its a wiring coupler that may have a pulled wire/pin that isn't seating completely when plugged in. I'm almost thinking of pulling the hatch apart and inspecting the brake light connectors and wiring just to see if I can remedy it.

Though with highs in the 20's and still possibility of snowfall here in Pennsylvania I may drag my feet on that for a month or two.[shameful]

I'm actually cooling off from the frustration of this morning. The car still drives fine and still puts a smile on my face. I just have to deal with the orange wrench light on all the time. <shrugz>
1 more visit to the dealer if the problem can not be resolved and you can file a Lemon.

I also had my entire roof painted. And now my car is currently in service getting a new PCM.
Mind you, I've only had the car four months since new...

I never knew we had a rear window squirter! I'll have to test mine out when I get my car back.

OP
Nitelife
Thread Starter #27
I also had my entire roof painted. And now my car is currently in service getting a new PCM.
Mind you, I've only had the car four months since new...
Interesting. Did the PCM throw some sort of code for you directly after having the roof painted??

I never knew we had a rear window squirter! I'll have to test mine out when I get my car back.
There is a rear window squirter. If you pull the window wiper stalk toward you. It does not have a nice spray pattern like the fronts. It is more like one steady stream about the diameter of a quarter, but it gets some fluid on the window back there.[thumb]

Interesting. Did the PCM throw some sort of code for you directly after having the roof painted??

There is a rear window squirter. If you pull the window wiper stalk toward you. It does not have a nice spray pattern like the fronts. It is more like one steady stream about the diameter of a quarter, but it gets some fluid on the window back there.[thumb]
No I donā€™t think it was related. My keyfobs became dead and lost signal with my car. I realize I made it seem like it happened directly after but it was a few months different. Also I think theyā€™re actually replacing the bcm not pcm.

When I pull the wiper toward me, it just swipes the wiper, do I also need to push the end in while having it pulled forward?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I avoid bringing my car into ford at all costs. Every time I do they do some sort of damage. For the most part I think they hire hacks. Its very frustrating. The recall is one case in point. I would love to get it done but I know for a fact that they will screw something up and to me its not worth the trouble.
I am not a big fan of factory service for any car but out of all of the cars I have owned in my life (quite a few) Ford these days has to be the worse. I do not think I can bring myself to buy another ford.
That's not just Ford. It's service shops in general. If it doesn't involve paint, welding or tires, I try to do all work myself. (and reluctantly, warranty)

They don't have an onsite body shop; they contract with another hidden across the street. But the work they do themselves is pretty decent. They corrected a vacuum hose misroute and I never even mentioned it. [like] Woody Sander Ford 45232 (https://goo.gl/maps/zUWPeTrM1SL2)

My car from new would fog up the inside of the windows after sitting through a rain in warmish or warm weather. The first time in they did the windshield. That actually did help, but it still did the same thing. Only "issue" I noticed after service were the "unfinished" front on the rubber roof rails and a very slight peel-up.

Second time in for the water leaks/instrusion they didn't really say what they did other than replace the driver door seal. BUT, when I got it back, the inside of the car was STRONG with de'odeur of service shop and caulk. So they apparently stripped the insides and caulked the living shtuff out of everything. Service shop smell is of course gone. The caulk smell has been dissipating over time. I'm 99% sure that they got it this time. It's passed the driving through a deluge test several times and all it had to do before was just sit. I'll know for sure after a hot Summer shower. Things I've noticed post service are, less white noise from the HVAC blower system ([like]), some intermittent rattles from the door panel and dash (I can handle that), warped passenger side interior panel just inside the hatch, torn piece from what I'd guess is noise deadening material on the underside of the vehicle near the front of the driver door, Winter tire setup (215/45/17) now rubs loudly when near steering max.

OP
Nitelife
Thread Starter #30
I just spoke with the Service manager to see if they had heard anything back from Engineering on how to progress. They are going to take it in next Monday and spend a couple days doing wire tracing, connector wiggling, etc. to see if they can figure out what is causing the code.

I did pull down the little accordian rubber channel that the wire harness from inside the roof passes into the hatch and it appears to me that someone was yanking at this and rubbed away the wire loom/electrical tape wrap but could not get enough slack to inspect the exposed wires to see if the insulation had been rubbed away to cause a short. Seems like a likely place to start to me <light bulb>

Wish me luck!

OP
Nitelife
Thread Starter #31
Well I think they finally fixed it![clap]

Turns out the previous flash of the new PCM was not complete so they re-flashed again and the dash light is out and has not come back on yet. Of course, they may have just disabled it via Forscan or unplugged the bulb...LOL.

I will continue to monitor and if all seems good, I think it is time to throw the AP & intercooler I've had sitting around on the car. Fun times ahead!

Last edited: