Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Cost effective ways of reducing torque steer...

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #41
I also hit sport mode almost every time I drive the car. I was just under the impression that, like the FoST, traction had to be completely disabled every time you drive when an LSD is installed or else the system freaks out
Well, the problem is that even in Race mode, emergency stability control and torque vectoring is still enabled but TC itself is off... And I thought that the problems with LSD interfering with anything was with torque vectoring, since they are related but from there found out that an LSD pretty much helps prevent TV from even having to kick in... But if it's actually something different, like with TC, I'd like to know too man!

You can adjust your scrub radius by changing your wheel offset to help reduce torque steer.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #43
You can adjust your scrub radius by changing your wheel offset to help reduce torque steer.
Interesting, all I know is the factory wheel offset is -47.5, which is high but allows the wheels to tuck under the fender better? I also know with aftermarket wheels you can go as low as -40 I believe, you're saying this would slightly stance the car better for less torque steer or? Thanks for the suggestion!

A lower offset wheel will make torque steer worse. At least on every turbo FWD car I've had that was the case. It's not enough to keep you from changing wheels on a FiST, but on a car like the Type R that was tuned specifically with this in mind, swapping wheels with a different offset is a horrible idea.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #45
A lower offset wheel will make torque steer worse. At least on every turbo FWD car I've had that was the case. It's not enough to keep you from changing wheels on a FiST, but on a car like the Type R that was tuned specifically with this in mind, swapping wheels with a different offset is a horrible idea.
So, in simple terms, pushing the wheels out a bit helps handle the power better with a slightly wider stance? In other news, just the one poly ring as a passenger side engine mount insert has already helped a bit, at the expense of definitely more new vibes than I thought I'd get, oh well...

Lower offset doesn't exactly make torque steer worse, it depends. The problem is unless you measure the current scrub radius you won't know exactly how much room you have to play with. You'll want to stay on the negative side while pushing it as close to 0 as possible. In doing so you will be sacrificing steering feel, so whether or not it's actually worth it will come down to your own preferences. If you push it too far, it's possible that your scrub radius will then be positive, increasing torque steer. There are other trade offs to all of this as well, but if you want to try everything possible, then it's something worth looking into.

Keep in mind it's not the wider stance that helps with torque steer, it's the smaller scrub radius. So it is possible to go too wide.

From motoiq

It is good to have a little scrub radius as it helps develop steering feel, the feeling of the steering wheel getting light as the front tires lose grip and firmer with more grip. It also helps improve the self steering effect. For a RWD car you generally want to run between ¾ of an inch to as much as 3”. In AWD and FWD cars, you want to try to limit the scrub radius to less than 2” because it increases the effects of torque steer.
https://motoiq.com/the-ultimate-han...your-caster-king-pin-inclination-and-scrub/4/

Lower offset doesn't exactly make torque steer worse, it depends. The problem is unless you measure the current scrub radius you won't know exactly how much room you have to play with. You'll want to stay on the negative side while pushing it as close to 0 as possible. In doing so you will be sacrificing steering feel, so whether or not it's actually worth it will come down to your own preferences. If you push it too far, it's possible that your scrub radius will then be positive, increasing torque steer. There are other trade offs to all of this as well, but if you want to try everything possible, then it's something worth looking into.

Keep in mind it's not the wider stance that helps with torque steer, it's the smaller scrub radius. So it is possible to go too wide.
What scrub radius is standard and how do you go about measuring it?

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Ideal scrub radius would be less than 0 offset on the wheels. You want the center of the wheel to be lined up with the vertical axis of the spindle. It just ain't going to happen.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #50
So, update and kind of final solution I stumbled upon... Someone on one of my sources, either a FB group or here, I forget, recommended the Powerflex engine mount inserts for the top 2 mounts... Well, we all hear about the RMM but I went ahead and got both side inserts and a TB Performance traction bar... Well, I had issues trying to install all 3 this Sunday but managed to get the passenger side ring and upgraded ARP bolt in and holy CRAP what a difference! I swear to God it eliminated 90% of the torque steer I had alone, just one little $32 poly ring! Anyway, I'm gonna get the other side and the traction bar in eventually but I can't stress enough in how much I recommend EVERYONE do the passenger side ring insert, insane difference! And we are talking stock turbo, low mileage car, it's not like I'm on BT with 100k, the stock passenger side just sucks THAT bad from the factory!

Ford Community Posts