Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

SCT , Bully dog fined.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account

me32

1000 Post Club
no argument here but their catted converter will throw codes all day long if there wasn't something built into the stage 3 tune

here's a thread https://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/7125-How-to-pass-OBD-state-inspection-test-with-Cobb-stage-3
I read the first post in that thread and stopped. The OTS map doesn't have anything that turns off or defeats any emissions device. A car "tuned" at a Pro Tuner has no bearing on the OTS map. The tuner can do whatever they want.

Unless they revised it i remember the stage 3 wouldnt pass smog in ca due to the rear 02 sensor reading not ready. Maybe they have changed that now.
AFAIK, the Stage 3 won't pass in Commifornia with aftermarket cat. I've had (and still have) the stage 3 map from the original release and all updates.

I believe it's against the law to even remove a working converter and replace it with a high flow. You must have a valid reason to remove and replace.
It's illegal to even change the position of a stock catalytic converter.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I am glad you guys are keeping this on topic.

To my knowledge there are still NO legal aftermarket CATs in California.
[MENTION=9280]Jay86[/MENTION] is correct, you cannot relocate one either.
Also there are NO aftermarket tunes that are legal without a CARB EO#.
However there is, at this time, no way for a Smog Tech. to test for one.

Dave

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I am glad you guys are keeping this on topic.

To my knowledge there are still NO legal aftermarket CATs in California.
[MENTION=9280]Jay86[/MENTION] is correct, you cannot relocate one either.
Also there are NO aftermarket tunes that are legal without a CARB EO#.
However there is, at this time, no way for a Smog Tech. to test for one.

Dave
They don't even accept the fully OEM style/materials, aftermarket factory replacement catcons, with all of the requisite CARB EO numbers/stampings/plates on them?

Or don't any of those exist for these cars (unless you are referring to only 200 cell, metal matrix performance aftermarket catcons)?

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Here is the quote from the 2018 California Smog Check Reference Guide.

"Customized Exhaust before last required after-treatment component – Header5 Heat Risers, Oversized pipes, etc." Require a CARB EO#.
"before last required after-treatment component" that would be the Cat efficiency (last O2) sensor.

Here is the way I interpret this:

Of course if it has a CARB EO# it is legal.

However in this case, the Header, fittings for both O2 Sensors, and CAT are all one assembly.
For that reason all of that requires a EO#.
If you were to even replace the CAT with a legal one (if it exists) then the header pipe is modified and that would be illegal.
So if there is such a thing as a legal aftermarket CAT then it would include the complete assy.

This is why there not many of these things CARB approved, it is too expensive to make and get approved.

Please remember I am only referring to the state of California.

Guys, I am not the smog police (any more) and never was after work.
I don't care what you do to your own car.

Dave