Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Curb rash home repair

jmills94

Hey everybody, proud (and angry) new FiST club member here.

I made the mistake of letting my brother drive it, and he hit a curb and put a nice little gash on the edge of the wheel. I’ll post a picture if I can figure out how to do that. Anyway, the gash is small but it’s very irritating since I haven’t even had the car a week, so I’m gonna get it fixed—I’d prefer to do it myself.

I know the basic process of filling and paint, could definitely use some tips, but I was hoping somebody could tell me about some good primer and paint products. I have the glossy black OEM wheels and obviously do not want the repair to be noticeable. Any advice?

Thanks

If it was me ....Id make my brother find/Buy me a new or used mint wheel.[party]
My 19 years old nephew, few months ago, took his father new Mitsu and went for a ride…..[driving]…...When he came back, the Mitsu seemed the Flintstone's car..( complete with a canvas canopy ) [clap] [cheerleader]

Hey everybody, proud (and angry) new FiST club member here.

I made the mistake of letting my brother drive it, and he hit a curb and put a nice little gash on the edge of the wheel. I’ll post a picture if I can figure out how to do that. Anyway, the gash is small but it’s very irritating since I haven’t even had the car a week, so I’m gonna get it fixed—I’d prefer to do it myself.

I know the basic process of filling and paint, could definitely use some tips, but I was hoping somebody could tell me about some good primer and paint products. I have the glossy black OEM wheels and obviously do not want the repair to be noticeable. Any advice?

Thanks
I know that this is a fairly old post but I curbed one of my black OEM wheels last fall before putting winter snows on. With the wheels off I looked for the correct paint to do the touch up and out of frustration I tried a spot of Rustoleum glossy black. It was almost perfect but yet too glossy so I got a can of semi-gloss. That did the trick. I was able to grind the ding down better with a Dremel, used Bondo to build it up, sanded flush, primed and then over-sprayed lightly with the Rustoleum. Then I wet sanded with 3000 grit, polished and then waxed the entire rim to blend it out. Yes a lot of elbow grease but a detail shop would charge $125.00 for the whole wheel and I really only spent like 3 x 30 min sessions and you cannot tell the difference. If you farm it out to a good shop, just save your money and get your newer, wider alloys you are saving up for in the first place. Just my 2 cents and.... I like to get something for my money like most people do.

XanRules

I'm attempting a similar project this weekend (weather permitting) with eBay touch up paint. I smacked the curb so hard trying to avoid a pedestrian that I cracked the clear outside of the scuff. Will post results.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
I say strip them to bare aluminum and have a shop polish them. Be the first with full polished oem wheels.

CSM

1000 Post Club
I'm probably going to do a full restoration on my set of OEM silver wheels. I'm moving to OH and am thinking about mounting snow tires on them. I'll make sure to post updates once I get around to it

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm probably going to do a full restoration on my set of OEM silver wheels. I'm moving to OH and am thinking about mounting snow tires on them. I'll make sure to post updates once I get around to it
Just get them powder coated a color of your choice!

XanRules

Alright, so I am just not handy with bondo and didn't want to strip away all the clearcoat and re-do it, so I just sanded everything smooth and hit it with touch up paint. There's a seller on eBay who sells color matched paint - I don't have the specifics handy at the moment but the Ford paint color is "Ebony" and it was like $10. It's a perfect match for the black wheels. It'll hold me over until I kill these tires, at which point I'll buy new wheels too.