Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Will an ST ever make it back to America?

Yes and no. So basically Golf carts require a stand-alone charger. If we have the ability to recharge batteries based off of the motor used for propulsion, why are hybrid cars even a thing? Why isn’t this already being implemented? Maybe it is and I don’t know.
Couple things we have to clear up in this thread:

Motor: Electricity
Engine: Combustion

Every hybrid car sold today uses the exact thing you are talking about. the motors are capable of regeneration by converting the vehicles kinetic energy into usable potential energy + heat (batteries). Every single hybrid and every electric car I know of uses this system. I.E the motor is also used as a generator.

Now why can't we use this for everything? Well the laws of physics still exist. ICE will exist until battery tech improves ten fold. The reason is simple: When you are pumping gasoline you are literally transferring thousands of volts of energy. So far we have no way on earth to realistically transfer electricity that quickly.

Jerickson88

Couple things we have to clear up in this thread:

Motor: Electricity
Engine: Combustion

Every hybrid car sold today uses the exact thing you are talking about. the motors are capable of regeneration by converting the vehicles kinetic energy into usable potential energy + heat (batteries). Every single hybrid and every electric car I know of uses this system. I.E the motor is also used as a generator.

Now why can't we use this for everything? Well the laws of physics still exist. ICE will exist until battery tech improves ten fold. The reason is simple: When you are pumping gasoline you are literally transferring thousands of volts of energy. So far we have no way on earth to realistically transfer electricity that quickly.
I guess that’s my point. I’ve worked on tons of golf carts, I currently work on ac motors in Toyota lifts, but never looked into how current hybrids work. I get it.

No. ST is not a money maker in North America. What will be even more interesting to see is what happens as these new crossovers age and depreciate! The old industry rule has been that useful life of the average vehicle is 10 years. Finance terms are now stretching into seven years. The other standard assumption is that 50 percent of the average daily driven fleet will be worn out or wrecked within 5 years. I would think that percentage will decline because of crash avoidance technology that has been added since 2015. But there are going to be many people driving six year old cars that will be financially trapped in them. And those who can trade will be faced with a market that is simply flooded with new and used SUV's! Or they can buy a used, high mileage, car! What a shitty menu of choices.