Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rear Koni autocross settings? What everyone use?

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Ran event yesterday with konis for first time. Was getting way more rotation than wanted. I started out at 1/2 turn off full stiff. Gonna try one turn today I think. What’s everyone else running them during autocross?

Don’t need any street use info. Thanks

When i got mine, i did one half turn under full stiff. I then tested them both. I compressed them both fully, and waited for them both to rebound. The timing was not equal. I adjusted one of the shocks until they both rebounded at the same rate.

That and a eibach rear sway make for a lot of rotation, but I caj control it based on tire pressures. Normally I do 40 front 44 rear. For less rotation try 38 front 40 rear

Erick_V

Lowering the rear pressures will keep the rear end in check. I usually run 20-24 clicks (out of 30) on my BC Coils and I lower pressures until the rear and feels stable-ish, I like the car a little on the twitchy side. If you lower the rear pressures too much you won't get much rotation. I'm only running the Pierce rear torsion brace. Listen to him though^^ he's killing it this year in HS from what I see!

OP
P

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
I still have been thinking about this a bunch. This past weekend had 2 day event which was my first on the konis. It was on high grip concrete but it was only in low 50s for temps and damp on one day. I’m on re71rs that normally run like 36f 40ish rear depending with the stock struts. First day I was 1/2 turn down from full stiff and dropped rear psi down as low as 34 and still no like. I was having serious issues with rear breaking loose in long sweepers and slaloms. Sunday I went 1/2 way with the konis and no luck yet. It was still crazy loose in rear. My last events were all on slippery surface so hard to compare. Also they all have been in my new 17 model vs my 15 I ran earlier in year. Are the 17s more loose in rear than earlier suspension fist? Or one other thought is my re71rs are maybe just cashed out. They are way past wear bars and nearly bald. They have a lot of events on them and like 10k miles on them lol. Do re71rs fall off grip wise when get really down on tread? I just have hard time believing konis made tear stupid crazy loose all alone.

Yea sounds like youve heat cycled the tires out of their prime. Still way better than all seasons, but to really compete youve gotta have a dedicated autox set that stays in bags between events. I dont do this, yet.

I run my fronts at ~half stiff to help the front dig in. I came from racing my boosted miata so I definitely prefer the handling on the twitchy, oversteer side. Its like a bull ride, going back and forth between taming understeer from over throttle, and oversteer from late breaking, or throttle lift oversteer. Definitely utilize the "string theory". If you start turning while you are still braking, the car will want to rotate. You CAN use this to your advantage.

OP
P

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
Lol I know I know. I been doing this stuff for some years now and do above average lol.I hate swapping at events etc and became lazy in my old age. I wish I swapped my buddies wheel setup on for fun run last weekend to see what would happen. Thanks for the time. Now that you brought up I think will go back to a track setup vs racking up as many miles on one set.