Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ordered boost limit on my Stratified tune

It has been discussed here how Stratified upped peak boost a bit on its newest version 4.0 tune. This was also confirmed for me by Stratified, though I am certain that they would not up the boost to a point that they believe is unsafe for our engines. That said, I am consistently touching 27.8 pounds of boost with my current E30 tune, and I finally decided to make a change just so I can stop worrying about it. I have zero evidence that my concerns about too much boost are justified, but I just want longevity and I worry about it. So yesterday I ordered a modified tune with a 25.5 psi boost cap, which is actually 1 psi less than I was seeing with my pre-4.0 Stratified tune. I had to talk to them to figure out how to order and price the change, since it is not an option on their tune adjustment form. The price I was quoted is $10. It is hard to believe that they would do any work on my tune for such a small price. Hopefully I will have the new tune soon and the boost cut will not be super evident on the old butt dyno.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Do a datalog and see how short of an rpm range that spike to 27.8 is .

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
It has been discussed here how Stratified upped peak boost a bit on its newest version 4.0 tune. This was also confirmed for me by Stratified, though I am certain that they would not up the boost to a point that they believe is unsafe for our engines. That said, I am consistently touching 27.8 pounds of boost with my current E30 tune, and I finally decided to make a change just so I can stop worrying about it. I have zero evidence that my concerns about too much boost are justified, but I just want longevity and I worry about it. So yesterday I ordered a modified tune with a 25.5 psi boost cap, which is actually 1 psi less than I was seeing with my pre-4.0 Stratified tune. I had to talk to them to figure out how to order and price the change, since it is not an option on their tune adjustment form. The price I was quoted is $10. It is hard to believe that they would do any work on my tune for such a small price. Hopefully I will have the new tune soon and the boost cut will not be super evident on the old butt dyno.
27.8 does seem like a lot of boost. I thought ppl hitting 26 was high. Little did I know.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Peak boost numbers are silly, since it happens so early and for such a short time. My Dizzy V1 E30 tune peaked at 25 psi and felt good. The new V2 E30 peaks at 26 psi and feels faster everywhere in the rpm range, except where peak boost is at (3k rpm).

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Peak boost numbers are silly, since it happens so early and for such a short time. My Dizzy V1 E30 tune peaked at 25 psi and felt good. The new V2 E30 peaks at 26 psi and feels faster everywhere in the rpm range, except where peak boost is at (3k rpm).
I will agree with you here.....I think that people are getting all wound up over something so silly....If you don't think they didn't do any R&D into their tuning before they let it loose out into the public.... just step back...Remove your AP3 and sell it. Isn't that what ALOT of people are looking for here is more boost? Higher HP? Stratified and Dizzy wouldn't do anything that they would feel put your vehicle in mortal danger. [rockon]

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Excellent topic for discussion, I had Stratified V3.1 first, for only a couple of weeks before their v4 came out and I upgraded to that, then had that a few months and then jumped in on the Dizzy special and just absolutely love the Dizzy tune with how much more smooth and refined yet still powerful it is... My only concern was that indeed it felt like Stratified hitting over 26 on regular 93 might have been a bit much, whether we are using the peak boost number just for reference or not, I would get some kind of nasty smells are a few WOT runs on Stratified but with my Dizzy V2 e30 hitting up to 26.8, not getting those smells either... Could be that my car was new this Feb. and maybe things were still burning in, but it was more like running catless, I thought I may have had cracked my DP or something, but all is well with Dizzy now... So anyway [MENTION=8493]apex1[/MENTION] , I totally agree that you did the right thing, I would have them back off peak boost by 1 psi myself if I was still running Stratified, I totally felt it was a bit too high as well but otherwise they are a great tune too, especially for those who like twitchy/race like throttle response, even on their V4 linear, which is definitely smoother than previously at least. Anyway, with e30 and ethanol's cooling effect, 26.5 psi is probably perfect, with regular 91/93 I'd be happy at 25, again, just using peak numbers for reference.

LILIKE16ST

I agree that peak boost isn't really an issue these guys know what they're doing and they wouldn't be doing things to put people's cars and engines in danger otherwise wed be hearing alot if horror stories about stratified and I've not really heard any despite like a million people using them across multiple platforms. it only hits that number for a very small window low in the rpms...people hit 25+ all the way to redline with hybrids without issue so I doubt doing it at 3k for a split second is going to matter. I had their v4 tune and ran e30 I would get close to 27 sometimes but I don't think I ever went over that I wasn't worried about it and you shouldn't be either. I'm running an x37 now and I'm currently in the tuning process with Ryan at pd tuning who's awesome the only reason I didn't go with stratified this time around is because of wait times. I understand they're busy but I wanted to have my tune finished before Christmas so I went with pd tuning. you can't go wrong with any if the top popular tuners in the community but for my needs I felt like pd tuning was the best choice for me. they're also one of the most local to me being based in Maryland and I'm in southwest va.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I agree that peak boost isn't really an issue these guys know what they're doing and they wouldn't be doing things to put people's cars and engines in danger otherwise wed be hearing alot if horror stories about stratified and I've not really heard any despite like a million people using them across multiple platforms. it only hits that number for a very small window low in the rpms...people hit 25+ all the way to redline with hybrids without issue so I doubt doing it at 3k for a split second is going to matter. I had their v4 tune and ran e30 I would get close to 27 sometimes but I don't think I ever went over that I wasn't worried about it and you shouldn't be either. I'm running an x37 now and I'm currently in the tuning process with Ryan at pd tuning who's awesome the only reason I didn't go with stratified this time around is because of wait times. I understand they're busy but I wanted to have my tune finished before Christmas so I went with pd tuning. you can't go wrong with any if the top popular tuners in the community but for my needs I felt like pd tuning was the best choice for me. they're also one of the most local to me being based in Maryland and I'm in southwest va.
FWIW, there is a big difference between boost when running 93 vs. e30, with the charge cooling effect of ethanol, e30 tunes are good for a couple of PSI more and further timing advancement... But at the same time, I'm now comfortable with the ~24.5 psi it holds through the powerband with 93, and just love the sound and feel of how it pulls on multi gear WOT runs... Now, I have indeed heard of some engines going on Stratified, but just some one-off anecdotal rumors but at the same time I have noticed better temps/less heat soak vs. Dizzy too, so I'm impressed... I just wish I knew why I have such horrible rev hang with my Stratified tune when it seems no one else has it. I sent them an email a week ago and never heard back from them, I'm going to try posting in the Stratified forum as I know Alex is responsive there.