Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Brakes locked up

Brakes were soft and spongy so we proceeded to bleed the brakes. After it was complete, one push of the pedal completely locked up all four wheels. Now they won’t release. Any ideas on why this would happen? I re-bled them and the same thing happens. What am I doing wrong? No brake shop or dealer will touch it because it’s a modified rally car.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Does it run a booster?

Sometimes the master cylinder leaks fluid inside the booster. The fluid builds up and will cause the brakes to engage and stayed locked. Common problem on mid 2000s GM vehicles.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

OP
C
Thread Starter #4
Disabled the abs by pulling wheel sensor when rallying. This car went upside down at the Ojibwe rally. Brakes worked fine rolling it around the driveway but we’re a little soft so we bled them. Ever since then they’ve been locked up.

OP
C
Thread Starter #5
The thing that bugs me is they were just a little soft before bleeding (engaged and released just fine). Bled brakes, finished, applied brakes and locks up all four.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Disabled the abs by pulling wheel sensor when rallying. This car went upside down at the Ojibwe rally. Brakes worked fine rolling it around the driveway but we’re a little soft so we bled them. Ever since then they’ve been locked up.
Are you the Magnetic Gray L2WD class FiST, running on Sparco Terra wheels/Hoosier gravels, that was at NEFR, from the northwest?
(If so, I spoke to you before that rally, in the main service park on that Thursday.)

I am guessing that you already carefully checked the hard lines under the unibody to make sure they did not get kinked/bent in the roll?

OP
C
Thread Starter #7
Yes. All was good (other than a little soft) u til we bled the brakes. And yes we’re the Grey ST from Washington. My son Chase is the driver. Trying to get this solved to run in Olympia this weekend.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
If is not the master Cylinder then you may have a ball valve stuck in the ABS module.
You could try to free it up by first opening the bleeders then tap on the ABS module.

What I don't understand is why you don't want ABS?
It is the only good automated system in cars.
I love it on the track.

Dave

OP
C
Thread Starter #10
Yes I’d i crack open bleeders the wheel releases. BUT immediately seize up again when I apply brakes with bleeder closed.

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Yes I’d i crack open bleeders the wheel releases. BUT immediately seize up again when I apply brakes with bleeder closed.
Ok, what Dave said but with the brakes locked on, try cracking the lines at the MC and see if there is any pressure build up there and if the brakes release otherwise it sounds like the ABS unit.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Ok, what Dave said but with the brakes locked on, try cracking the lines at the MC and see if there is any pressure build up there and if the brakes release otherwise it sounds like the ABS unit.
Correct.
That sounds better then the way I said it

Dave

OP
C
Thread Starter #13
Yes it has a booster. I’m thinking it has to be an abs fail rather than MC. It worked as it should before the bleed. Any ideas on a code reader that cycles the ABS?

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
My Snap-on does ABS.
But I don't think the inexpensive ones do.

Dave

Hey, I just dealt with the same issue, but I haven't disabled the ABS. Did a pad swap and flush and then all the brakes locked up and the car wouldn't move.

Check your brake pedal and see if you can pull it "up" toward you. I still don't know what actually happened to cause my issue, but the tech adjusted the pedal trying to diagnose the brake problem and the issue went away. It might not be the problem, but hey it's free to check and you won't have to buy a B-Spec ABS system like I did.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Hey, I just dealt with the same issue, but I haven't disabled the ABS. Did a pad swap and flush and then all the brakes locked up and the car wouldn't move.

Check your brake pedal and see if you can pull it "up" toward you. I still don't know what actually happened to cause my issue, but the tech adjusted the pedal trying to diagnose the brake problem and the issue went away. It might not be the problem, but hey it's free to check and you won't have to buy a B-Spec ABS system like I did.
Maybe this clears the return port in the M/C ?

Thanks for all the help. Son of a B*tch if pulling up on the brake pedal fixed it! What a pain in the ass.
So that was the issue? I ended up with a return spring on my brake pedal because the issue kept coming up when bleeding the brakes.

That solution works, but it feels like it fixes a symptom not a cause.

Not Fiesta related, but my wife's Camry does this from time to time. I just lift the pedal with my toe and it works fine