Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Thermal R&D exhaust keeps coming loose

CSM

1000 Post Club
Watching this thread closely. Just installed a thermal exhaust and love it but some of the issues noted here worry me.

I torqued my 2 bolt couplers to 45 ft-lbs at each bolt. No issues yet, knock on wood.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Since this was brought back up, exhaust hasn't moved since the vband but I do have an exhaust leak now. Mainly noticeable on cold starts and it sounds like an old vw beetle on decel. Once it's warm, no issues. I'm gonna get under and check the vband, but I'm about ready to buy a cobb exhaust for the bolt on flange connections.
That can happen with male/female vbands that have to socket in, one shop I had do work for me fails to seat one inside the other every.single.time, and I wind up with that tch tch tch sound on decel. Loosen the clamp, seat the ends, clamp it back up and its fine.

I’m getting close to buying an exhaust and wondering if folks are still having issues with the clamps coming loose?
Has anyone with previous issues solved it other than tightening more?
I’d like to pull the trigger if any BF sale pops up this month, but concerned with this issue.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I’m getting close to buying an exhaust and wondering if folks are still having issues with the clamps coming loose?
I’d like to pull the trigger if any BF sale pops up this month, but concerned with this issue.
I have never had a problem with mine coming loose and I have close to 8k miles since it was installed. It really is a matter of how tight you torque it I think.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #86

I ended up having a vband installed on the front downpipe to resonator connection and the back clamps tack welded. If I was to do it again i would just tack weld all the clamps. Cheap and easy. No matter how tight I got them the pipes would end up sliding out eventually. It's worth it though, best sounding exhaust in my opinion and no drone.

I ended up having a vband installed on the front downpipe to resonator connection and the back clamps tack welded. If I was to do it again i would just tack weld all the clamps. Cheap and easy. No matter how tight I got them the pipes would end up sliding out eventually. It's worth it though, best sounding exhaust in my opinion and no drone.
Make sure I am following completely. Exhaust pipe is put end to end with the clamp over the connection and tightened down. The issue is no matter how much the bolts are tightened the clamps seem to come loose. Question is where exactly are you tack welding the pipe to clamp? On bolts, on seam, or at pipe to clamp edge tacking pipe to clamp?
if you have any pics that would be awesome. Thanks!

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #89
Make sure I am following completely. Exhaust pipe is put end to end with the clamp over the connection and tightened down. The issue is no matter how much the bolts are tightened the clamps seem to come loose. Question is where exactly are you tack welding the pipe to clamp? On bolts, on seam, or at pipe to clamp edge tacking pipe to clamp?
if you have any pics that would be awesome. Thanks!
The pipes don't necessarily butt together. Weld the clamp on the edge to the exhaust pipe.

Sorry I don't have pics.

Installed my Thermal R&D last night. Love the sound so far. One thing I did not expect was they have apparently gone with full polished tips and there is No Thermal logo on them. Was expecting the bluish tint tips and the T logo. My car has only 2500 miles so it was not to hard to disconnect with a little penetration oil. I tried to get video but iPad can’t pick up the burbles. I used three Whoosh hangers which is all you need with the thermal. Does not use the factory middle hanger. Loved that I could jack behind the front tire and be able to put jack stands on both front and rear. I used a torque wrench at 45lbs and will check the clamps at next oil change.
But, this is the 3rd package from Ron@whoosh where I did not get a single Whoosh Motorsports sticker!!!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Installed my Thermal R&D last night. Love the sound so far. One thing I did not expect was they have apparently gone with full polished tips and there is No Thermal logo on them. Was expecting the bluish tint tips and the T logo. My car has only 2500 miles so it was not to hard to disconnect with a little penetration oil. I tried to get video but iPad can’t pick up the burbles. I used three Whoosh hangers which is all you need with the thermal. Does not use the factory middle hanger. Loved that I could jack behind the front tire and be able to put jack stands on both front and rear. I used a torque wrench at 45lbs and will check the clamps at next oil change.
But, this is the 3rd package from Ron@whoosh where I did not get a single Whoosh Motorsports sticker!!!
You want some I got like 20?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk