Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Clunking noise on low speed right hand turns?

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hey guys & gals

I'm having an issue and its driving me insane. I put used Swift Spec-R springs on my 2017 FiST, everything was great for a while, then I started getting this odd clunk / pop out of the passenger wheel whenever I'd take a slow right hand turn or whenever the weight would transfer over/off the passenger front strut. I brought the car to Ford and they replaced the sway bar end-links, said they were weak, well I just got back from a 6000 mile road trip and its doing it again. I have replaced the strut mounts on BOTH sides, I have checked the tightness of the bolts, I have checked the endlinks again, I have looked at every part of that suspension and cannot figure it out. My partner runs the same suspension set up on his 2017 and does not have any noise at all, the only difference is mine were used springs and his were new.

The only thing I can think of is that the coil is binding, there is a decent amount of area on the front springs that show it has / still does rub coils together (the paint has come off and its starting to rust), could the springs actually be failed? I know that the previous owner used them for auto-x and the wear shows, I just didn't think that springs would fail.

Thanks!

This probably belongs in the technical forums... fml… Can an admin move it please?

Check that your top hat is on tight enough. Had a similar issue.

Note you might have to buy a pass through socket set

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
The most common things that make that kind of noise, one you have covered is the end links.
They could be brand new but if they are not tight enough, that would do it.

The other thing is not related to the work you have done but will also cause a clunking noise when turning is a CV joint.
You mentioned right turns, so that would suggest the left CV joint.

Dave