Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Got my Accessport installed.....

Jesus christ this little bastard pulls like stink on shit on just Stg1. Can't wait to get the other mods needed to get to Stg2+ hehe.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Jesus christ this little bastard pulls like stink on shit on just Stg1. Can't wait to get the other mods needed to get to Stg2+ hehe.
Hopefully you bought it from stratified or another vendor and got a Flashtune included....if not I'd highly recommend Jason@dizzytuning....great guy to work with! Quality tunes....better than the OTS tunes.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
F
Thread Starter #3
No, I bought it from a member here. Sad thing is it doesn't have any mounting bracket, just the cradle it sits in. I can definitely feel a big difference between my very minor HPTuners self modded tune hehe. I'm gonna pull it and see if I can tell what changes were made vs the stock file.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
No, I bought it from a member here. Sad thing is it doesn't have any mounting bracket, just the cradle it sits in. I can definitely feel a big difference between my very minor HPTuners self modded tune hehe. I'm gonna pull it and see if I can tell what changes were made vs the stock file.
There is a whole thread on mounts....I have one that is magnetic and goes right to the back of the access port and connects into the HVAC vent fins....great piece and cheap also.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Wait until you get the E30 tune. You'll definitely hate going to back to Stage 1 or 2.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
F
Thread Starter #7
Can you link me the thread for the mount(s)? It had a dock/cradle that's magnetic, but it has nothing to clip into the rear of it.

this mount? I'm using my phone mount for mine. I just have this one laying around. This one isn't magnetic though. It's the one that originally comes with the AP.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
There is a whole thread on mounts....I have one that is magnetic and goes right to the back of the access port and connects into the HVAC vent fins....great piece and cheap also.
My exact setup as well, just a metal sticker on AP to round vent mount just to the left of the media display and even bottom half of vent still blows air, Nice ~$5 solution.

It makes that much difference? $500 is hard to justify and spend. I installed a MBRP CAT back just for sound. It made a difference on the upper end of the rev band in more power, in mainly third gear pulling but getting going in first and second gear the car still feels the same.

SrsBsns

It makes that much difference? $500 is hard to justify and spend. I installed a MBRP CAT back just for sound. It made a difference on the upper end of the rev band in more power, in mainly third gear pulling but getting going in first and second gear the car still feels the same.
I'm in the same boat. I have the MBRP but other than that, no power-adders. I've been thinking about getting the AP.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I'm in the same boat. I have the MBRP but other than that, no power-adders. I've been thinking about getting the AP.
Yes, it makes a HUGE difference once you have a real tune added to it, the ones included for free are just to help get you started, but at least unlocks the natural torque Ford neuters from the stock tune. 1st and 2nd are very torquey naturally with a tiny turbo like we have but a tune unleashes even more. Also, AP's can be un-married and re-sold so you can find them as low as $325 used and from there a $50-75 tune from Stratified or Dizzy will net you 25 HP / 50 TQ easily over stock on Premium and an e30 tune will get you about 50 HP / 75 TQ over stock at the wheels on a car this small is a HUGE difference... Not to mention the cool features like FAR better traction control, launch control, flat foot shifting, monitoring of hundreds of parameters to make sure everything is good, etc... The bottom-line: A tune alone is 75% of the gains of "Stage 3" with a tune. Many times the best way to go is a good AP tune, short shift plate and a couple of engine mount upgrades and it's literally all this car needs... Now from there it's nice to do things to help hold the higher boost better and get more sound like Symposer delete with intake and exhaust upgrades, a new DV or BOV (full recirc available too) but the ONE bolt on that actually makes the most difference is the intercooler, an upgrade there will allow for more aggressive tuning while keeping charge temps down. Hope this helps explain better how big of a deal an AP tune can be... Also, still not sure why MBRP is so popular when 3" is beyond overkill on our cars and Tsudo is 2.75", easier to install, cheaper AND stainless over the MBRP, go figure...

SrsBsns

Yes, it makes a HUGE difference once you have a real tune added to it, the ones included for free are just to help get you started, but at least unlocks the natural torque Ford neuters from the stock tune. 1st and 2nd are very torquey naturally with a tiny turbo like we have but a tune unleashes even more. Also, AP's can be un-married and re-sold so you can find them as low as $325 used and from there a $50-75 tune from Stratified or Dizzy will net you 25 HP / 50 TQ easily over stock on Premium and an e30 tune will get you about 50 HP / 75 TQ over stock at the wheels on a car this small is a HUGE difference... Not to mention the cool features like FAR better traction control, launch control, flat foot shifting, monitoring of hundreds of parameters to make sure everything is good, etc... The bottom-line: A tune alone is 75% of the gains of "Stage 3" with a tune. Many times the best way to go is a good AP tune, short shift plate and a couple of engine mount upgrades and it's literally all this car needs... Now from there it's nice to do things to help hold the higher boost better and get more sound like Symposer delete with intake and exhaust upgrades, a new DV or BOV (full recirc available too) but the ONE bolt on that actually makes the most difference is the intercooler, an upgrade there will allow for more aggressive tuning while keeping charge temps down. Hope this helps explain better how big of a deal an AP tune can be... Also, still not sure why MBRP is so popular when 3" is beyond overkill on our cars and Tsudo is 2.75", easier to install, cheaper AND stainless over the MBRP, go figure...
This pretty much seals the deal for me. Thanks for the explanation. I've seen them for around that price but wasn't ready to pull the trigger. I'll just wait until I see another one and jump on it when I do. I'm just not sure if I want to go FMIC first, or AP first.

Is there anything I need to be careful of when buying a used AP? I've seen some people reference "married" or "unmarried." Does that matter?

Are there any reliability issues that I should be aware of with the increase in power? I haven't read anything along those lines but maybe I just missed something.

I bought my FiST used and it came with the MBRP as well as the stock exhaust. I've been considering going back to stock or possibly trading to go another route. I like the sound but it drones a little too much for me.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
This pretty much seals the deal for me. Thanks for the explanation. I've seen them for around that price but wasn't ready to pull the trigger. I'll just wait until I see another one and jump on it when I do. I'm just not sure if I want to go FMIC first, or AP first.

Is there anything I need to be careful of when buying a used AP? I've seen some people reference "married" or "unmarried." Does that matter?

Are there any reliability issues that I should be aware of with the increase in power? I haven't read anything along those lines but maybe I just missed something.

I bought my FiST used and it came with the MBRP as well as the stock exhaust. I've been considering going back to stock or possibly trading to go another route. I like the sound but it drones a little too much for me.
Yes, they MUST be unmarried, that means completely uninstalled from the previous car, a lot of people just flash a tune and set it aside, but the AP is still locked to that car, it can be uninstalled and reinstalled as many times as you want, just one at a time. When you see them listed they will always say "unmarried" and some groups/forums require to show the pic of it at ready to install screen. That's how one AP can't flash a bunch of cars, Cobb is actually fair and cool this way to let an AP be re-sold as many times this way... When you get one, fully register it at Cobb, they treat you like a new owner, update the firmware, get the latest Off The Shelf free tunes from Cobb and from there you have a half dozen major tuners offering tunes to add to it. Stratified and Dizzy being the least expensive but still VERY good, just not customized back and forth with datalogs from the AP, they are good simple Flash Tunes... Also, forgot to mention, the AP also has 0-60 and 1/4 mile modes for fun too, there is a LOT to enjoy with the investment. :)

Reliability is not an issue at all, the 1.6 is Ford's most reliable EcoBoost engine by FAR, it can literally handle double the power it makes stock without any engine upgrades, many guys will upgrade the turbo to 350 HP and still not need to upgrade the engine, just more fuel after 300 HP... Personally, as much as I like and respect Stratified, I DO feel they push the boost a little too high, Dizzy is smoother, only like 2 HP less but definitely feels safer too, best $75 I spent on my car...

So intercooler, is VERY nice to have but not a big deal to wait until later spring now especially the really hot weather is over even inland from you. I know how SD is being cool at the coast but gets really hot inland in the summer, the IC will simply let you maintain cooler charge temps if you make pull after pull or auto-x, etc. but once tuned for it, should make about 8 HP/ 10 TQ by itself with slightly more aggressive tuning and not heat soaking the factory one. In other words, tune first, re-tune after IC later. I won't post it out of respect to the vendors here but if you want a lead on a $200 IC, let me know, but keep in mind that at $300 supporting a vendor will get you a bigger IC too, depends on how much time you spend inland in the hot weather or want power pull after pull...

As far as your exhaust, not sure if you have the straight piped version or one with resonator and mufflers in place? You may need a beefier resonator to start with, like a Vibrant Ultra Quiet, which helps but not "too quiet"

I just purchased Cobb's Stage 1 package (RMM, Drop-in Filter, & AP) for my otherwise stock 2015 FiST and ordered a flash tune from Stratified. I agree with [MENTION=9500]danbfree[/MENTION] there really isn't much else you need to do to get any additional power from the stock turbo. The flash tunes from Stratified not only gives you more power than any other single or combination of hard parts (besides upgraded turbo) they also give you options that allow you to customize some settings (traction control, idle speed, switchable maps, etc.) An intercooler is the only other mod I am considering due to the Texas Gulf Coast Summers. As of right now, the 91 octane tune is good, the 93 octane is better, and the e30 tune really kicks it up to a higher level. I paid $215 for the flash tune with my desired options. The best part is not having to send in datalogs and wait for new tune files. Stratified pretty much has this car figured out.

http://www.stratifiedauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=117_123&products_id=296

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I just purchased Cobb's Stage 1 package (RMM, Drop-in Filter, & AP) for my otherwise stock 2015 FiST and ordered a flash tune from Stratified. I agree with [MENTION=9500]danbfree[/MENTION] there really isn't much else you need to do to get any additional power from the stock turbo. The flash tunes from Stratified not only gives you more power than any other single or combination of hard parts (besides upgraded turbo) they also give you options that allow you to customize some settings (traction control, idle speed, switchable maps, etc.) An intercooler is the only other mod I am considering due to the Texas Gulf Coast Summers. As of right now, the 91 octane tune is good, the 93 octane is better, and the e30 tune really kicks it up to a higher level. I paid $215 for the flash tune with my desired options. The best part is not having to send in datalogs and wait for new tune files. Stratified pretty much has this car figured out.

http://www.stratifiedauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=117_123&products_id=296
I have nothing against Stratified, love their tunes as well, but for $75 you could have gotten Dizzy with both a pump and e30 right now on special and a datalog check for safety... You never know what could be going out on your car especially since it's not brand new, so it's about safety, not squeezing more out of a stock car... and yes, intercooler will help tremendously, not only for regular driving in hot weather but is the bolt on with a stock turbo that you can tune more aggressively for too.

I have nothing against Stratified, love their tunes as well, but for $75 you could have gotten Dizzy with both a pump and e30 right now on special and a datalog check for safety... You never know what could be going out on your car especially since it's not brand new, so it's about safety, not squeezing more out of a stock car... and yes, intercooler will help tremendously, not only for regular driving in hot weather but is the bolt on with a stock turbo that you can tune more aggressively for too.
I'm not familiar with Dizzy so I cannot attest to the quality of their tunes. I'm only familiar with Stratified and one other tuner across three different platforms, so I did not offer any opinion other than my relevant experience. I'm pretty familiar with reading and interpreting datalog's and regularly monitor parameter's I feel are important with the tune being on or off point. However, the OP may not have the same level of familiarity as myself and would benefit from a datalog review. The price point on Stratified is anywhere from $50-$250 depending on options, so the value ratio seems to favor Dizzy atm. I'm leaning towards the ATP intercooler because of the Garrett core with it's very minimal pressure drop and better thermal efficiencies over stock. IMO, shouldn't require a re-tune as the volume isn't as large as the CP-E (which is a helluva nice intercooler also) but may require a re-tune because of the massive volume of that unit to keep throttle response at an optimum level. If I were looking to squeeze every ounce of power out of my little commuter, I would opt to have them turn up the wick a bit when the intercooler goes in.
[MENTION=9500]danbfree[/MENTION] I've read your comparative review regarding the Stratified and Dizzy tunes and it seemed very thorough and objective which is always good to hear as well as having other opinions and options. Cheers!

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I'm not familiar with Dizzy so I cannot attest to the quality of their tunes. I'm only familiar with Stratified and one other tuner across three different platforms, so I did not offer any opinion other than my relevant experience. I'm pretty familiar with reading and interpreting datalog's and regularly monitor parameter's I feel are important with the tune being on or off point. However, the OP may not have the same level of familiarity as myself and would benefit from a datalog review. The price point on Stratified is anywhere from $50-$250 depending on options, so the value ratio seems to favor Dizzy atm. I'm leaning towards the ATP intercooler because of the Garrett core with it's very minimal pressure drop and better thermal efficiencies over stock. IMO, shouldn't require a re-tune as the volume isn't as large as the CP-E (which is a helluva nice intercooler also) but may require a re-tune because of the massive volume of that unit to keep throttle response at an optimum level. If I were looking to squeeze every ounce of power out of my little commuter, I would opt to have them turn up the wick a bit when the intercooler goes in.
[MENTION=9500]danbfree[/MENTION] I've read your comparative review regarding the Stratified and Dizzy tunes and it seemed very thorough and objective which is always good to hear as well as having other opinions and options. Cheers!
Thanks man, you make great points as well but you are off on one thing: ANY intercooler upgrade will need a new tune *to take the most advantage of* the upgrade... but of course just about any lower end tune expecting a stock intercooler will run fine with any intercooler, but the stock one is SO limited that with ANY intercooler upgrade there will be gains to be had for re-tuning for it... I also skipped the safety check with Dizzy, everything looked good on my low mileage car, but for those who don't have the know-how, Dizzy is a smooth, safe and great way to go with awesome service as well... Stratified has great service too, it just may take them a while to get to you during busy times.

Here is the thread on the old dead forum re: intercooler sizes... there are 2 sections with a few comments in between, but even the little Mishimoto one that turned into an eBay clone is a full 25% larger than stock... and again, just mean that intercooler is the one thing you can definitely make more power if you re-tune for over a tune for stock IC. Any aftermarket tune stage 1 will run even better and cooler with an IC upgrade and no re-tune, but you might want to consider a re-tune to go more aggressive for some actual gains. :)

Thanks man, you make great points as well but you are off on one thing: ANY intercooler upgrade will need a new tune *to take the most advantage of* the upgrade... but of course just about any lower end tune expecting a stock intercooler will run fine with any intercooler, but the stock one is SO limited that with ANY intercooler upgrade there will be gains to be had for re-tuning for it... I also skipped the safety check with Dizzy, everything looked good on my low mileage car, but for those who don't have the know-how, Dizzy is a smooth, safe and great way to go with awesome service as well... Stratified has great service too, it just may take them a while to get to you during busy times.

Here is the thread on the old dead forum re: intercooler sizes... there are 2 sections with a few comments in between, but even the little Mishimoto one that turned into an eBay clone is a full 25% larger than stock... and again, just mean that intercooler is the one thing you can definitely make more power if you re-tune for over a tune for stock IC. Any aftermarket tune stage 1 will run even better and cooler with an IC upgrade and no re-tune, but you might want to consider a re-tune to go more aggressive for some actual gains. :)
I absolutely agree that an intercooler upgrade will allow the ceiling to be raised in regards to power because of the lower charge temps. I know I would be leaving power on the table by not tuning for an upgraded intercooler. The gains will most likely occur in the mid-range to upper rpm's as the stock intercooler heats up pretty quickly by just doing a couple of 60-100mph sprints. My point is more that, I'm happy with the flash tune as is, adding an upgraded intercooler will keep it from reaching the charge temperatures where the tune starts dumping extra fuel to combat the excessive heat. The end result would be more consistent power and will add a boundary layer of safety with the existing boost, timing and fueling strategies. Kind of like running a 91 octane tune with 93 in the tank, which I do when ambient temps become elevated. For someone who wants to maximize performance with an intercooler upgrade, there's definitely gains to be had by tuning for it.