Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Got my Accessport installed.....

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I absolutely agree that an intercooler upgrade will allow the ceiling to be raised in regards to power because of the lower charge temps. I know I would be leaving power on the table by not tuning for an upgraded intercooler. The gains will most likely occur in the mid-range to upper rpm's as the stock intercooler heats up pretty quickly by just doing a couple of 60-100mph sprints. My point is more that, I'm happy with the flash tune as is, adding an upgraded intercooler will keep it from reaching the charge temperatures where the tune starts dumping extra fuel to combat the excessive heat. The end result would be more consistent power and will add a boundary layer of safety with the existing boost, timing and fueling strategies. Kind of like running a 91 octane tune with 93 in the tank, which I do when ambient temps become elevated. For someone who wants to maximize performance with an intercooler upgrade, there's definitely gains to be had by tuning for it.
Yeah, exactly, I can see your thought process on that, just having the IC there with a solid flash tune will help, you don't need to get a re-tune for 5HP more that will just add more heat than is worth it... but also interesting you bring up the fuel, where I live the premium SAYS "92 octane minimum" but rarely ever see any less than a perfect -1.00 OAR running any 93 tune so I'm not so sure running a lower octane would help when it's hot... other than for the fact that Cobb says they run *their* 91 tunes richer to account for poor fuel, like in Cali where 91 means 91.0000 and I still get more negative corrections and slight drop in OAR with a 91 tune when I drive down there... But you're literally in the capital of oil country, I'm sure the 93 there is excellent!

Yeah, exactly, I can see your thought process on that, just having the IC there with a solid flash tune will help, you don't need to get a re-tune for 5HP more that will just add more heat than is worth it... but also interesting you bring up the fuel, where I live the premium SAYS "92 octane minimum" but rarely ever see any less than a perfect -1.00 OAR running any 93 tune so I'm not so sure running a lower octane would help when it's hot... other than for the fact that Cobb says they run *their* 91 tunes richer to account for poor fuel, like in Cali where 91 means 91.0000 and I still get more negative corrections and slight drop in OAR with a 91 tune when I drive down there... But you're literally in the capital of oil country, I'm sure the 93 there is excellent!
I've been running on the 93 map most of the time and have yet to experience any major or consistent negative ignition corrections, but the weather here has been pretty moderate lately. You would think being here in Houston, the quality of the fuel would be excellent, however it's hit or miss sometimes and varies greatly from station to station. I have found Shell 93 V-Power to be the most consistent though. I think the Stratified flash tunes are probably a little more conservative than a custom tune to account for the inconsistency in fuel quality in various regions and actually a feature I appreciate. In my Ecoboost Mustang with a custom tune from Stratified, we were trying to extract maximum power and through that process I learned which fuels in my area performed the best/worst. Utilizing a flash tune on the FiST I worry less because I know I'm not trying to squeeze every ounce of power out of it. More of a set it and forget it, however I do like being able to monitor engine parameters so if I do get a bad batch of fuel, I know right away and can switch to the low boost slot until I can refuel and/or add a gallon of e85 to get the octane up.

Having said all of that, I still intend on upgrading the intercooler before Summer gets here again. So, to the OP, My recommendation of mods would be 1. Cobb AP, RMM and drop-in filter 2. A flash tune set up for his/her specific mods and fuel availability 3. Intercooler 4. Enjoy the car for what it is. 5. When ready for more power, step up to a hybrid turbo (X-47) and other supporting mods (downpipe, DV, and a larger turbo inlet pipe).

Another side note: Stratified's traction control is pretty awesome!

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I've been running on the 93 map most of the time and have yet to experience any major or consistent negative ignition corrections, but the weather here has been pretty moderate lately. You would think being here in Houston, the quality of the fuel would be excellent, however it's hit or miss sometimes and varies greatly from station to station. I have found Shell 93 V-Power to be the most consistent though. I think the Stratified flash tunes are probably a little more conservative than a custom tune to account for the inconsistency in fuel quality in various regions and actually a feature I appreciate. In my Ecoboost Mustang with a custom tune from Stratified, we were trying to extract maximum power and through that process I learned which fuels in my area performed the best/worst. Utilizing a flash tune on the FiST I worry less because I know I'm not trying to squeeze every ounce of power out of it. More of a set it and forget it, however I do like being able to monitor engine parameters so if I do get a bad batch of fuel, I know right away and can switch to the low boost slot until I can refuel and/or add a gallon of e85 to get the octane up.

Having said all of that, I still intend on upgrading the intercooler before Summer gets here again. So, to the OP, My recommendation of mods would be 1. Cobb AP, RMM and drop-in filter 2. A flash tune set up for his/her specific mods and fuel availability 3. Intercooler 4. Enjoy the car for what it is. 5. When ready for more power, step up to a hybrid turbo (X-47) and other supporting mods (downpipe, DV, and a larger turbo inlet pipe).

Another side note: Stratified's traction control is pretty awesome!
Absolutely agree in general, but just to clarify a bit, since this isn't Jason's thread: Stratified actual does run pretty close to the ragged edge of safety with their boost, many of us have experienced some concerning deep burning type smells after a number of pulls on the default Flash Stratified and mine was resolved with requesting 0.5 less PSI... Now as far as timing and how Strats power tables help set the OAR parameters, I completely agree that flash tunes meant to just run and go with and quite possibly not be revised at all do lean a little conservative on the octane. But as far as my results, I've seen it across 5 different company tunes across 3 different platforms so quite probably my "92" here is underrated a full point and why I made that info part of my signature long ago after I saw so many people running 91 tunes in my area. But also Jason does admit he goes conservative on his 93 tune but also the e30 tune, which DOES feel great, it's so easy to make max mean torque or whatever the term is, he doesn't need to rely on pushing the octane with that either. The torque/power table is met with boost and timing so higher than 93 octane of the fuel itself isn't even needed when you have the ethanol cooling charge helping it act like a few points higher than a low ethanol environment, if that makes sense... So, my OAR stayed buried at -1.00 even with only a 93 end octane e35 mix with regular.

And, Stratified's traction control is indeed pretty awesome, BUT, I haven't been able to tell much difference over a Cobb setting of 4 and I like Cobb setting of 3... probably depends on how much power you actually make, how much you want to slip and how much you get it to break loose, usually in 2nd, and e30... of course, LOL.

Absolutely agree in general, but just to clarify a bit, since this isn't Jason's thread: Stratified actual does run pretty close to the ragged edge of safety with their boost, many of us have experienced some concerning deep burning type smells after a number of pulls on the default Flash Stratified and mine was resolved with requesting 0.5 less PSI... Now as far as timing and how Strats power tables help set the OAR parameters, I completely agree that flash tunes meant to just run and go with and quite possibly not be revised at all do lean a little conservative on the octane. But as far as my results, I've seen it across 5 different company tunes across 3 different platforms so quite probably my "92" here is underrated a full point and why I made that info part of my signature long ago after I saw so many people running 91 tunes in my area. But also Jason does admit he goes conservative on his 93 tune but also the e30 tune, which DOES feel great, it's so easy to make max mean torque or whatever the term is, he doesn't need to rely on pushing the octane with that either. The torque/power table is met with boost and timing so higher than 93 octane of the fuel itself isn't even needed when you have the ethanol cooling charge helping it act like a few points higher than a low ethanol environment, if that makes sense... So, my OAR stayed buried at -1.00 even with only a 93 end octane e35 mix with regular.

And, Stratified's traction control is indeed pretty awesome, BUT, I haven't been able to tell much difference over a Cobb setting of 4 and I like Cobb setting of 3... probably depends on how much power you actually make, how much you want to slip and how much you get it to break loose, usually in 2nd, and e30... of course, LOL.
I have yet to notice any weird smells as a result of running Stratified's 93 tune. I have only ran e30 once and don't recall any strange smells other than the usual ethanol burn smell. I agree that you should feel confident running a tune and not having to worry whether or not you're going to grenade your motor. Peace of mind definitely goes a long way. I for one trust Alex and his team and believe that the Flash Tune I'm running is completely safe, until I get logs or other indicators that suggest otherwise. I'm sure Dizzy tunes are safe as well. It's all about what helps you sleep at night... LOL! Cheers!