Welcome to Fiesta ST Forum, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member 220 Rep Points Clit_Beastwood's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points  
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are my stock FiST wheels ruined?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I bought the FiST to be a low-dollar daily runner to keep miles off the other garage-fillers, so I am reticent to buy new wheels for it. That being said...

I sent my assistant to get some of my cars washed - everything went fine with the others, but I suspect that since my FiST was cheap he took it to one of those carwashes that drags the car through on rails. I think this, because the inside lip of all 4 wheels is completely ground down to the metal and the paint on the wheels is flaking off (on the inside shoulder, where the wheel weights are/were). I won't know for sure until I review the expense report when he gets back into town. That being said - I've never really had wheels repaired or needed to, but if its ground down to the *metal* I pretty much have to replace the wheels, right? I don't know the extent of what's fixable and what's not. I was kinda thinking about having the stock wheels stripped and repainted bronze, but haven't done it because I'd have to buy a second set of wheels for my dirt-cheap daily driver that isn't supposed to cost anything to run :P

So, in such an instance as all 4 wheels are ground down like that - is it better to simply buy new wheels?

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals

State
    NC
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you have a picture? Sounds like you should be able to repair it with body filler and paint it.

Member 28 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 25 Rep Points  
    State
    MD
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who cares? How often do you see the INSIDE lip?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Senior Member 420 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points  
    State
    TX
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

those rails are lined in Delrin and will not damage an alloy wheel to that extent, if even cosmetically. in fact, i doubt they even contact the wheel. the damage can be from a long time ago. i would not assume the damage was caused by your assistant. did you check the wheels for damage before they cleaned your cars for you? regardless, thousands of people use those types of drive-thru car washes, including myself, and i've never heard of anyone experiencing this type of problem. it's more likely that the wheels were damaged by being laid or allowed to roll on the concrete, perhaps during a rotation or some sort of wheels-off car work. depending on your tires, the wheel will contact the ground - not the tire - if you lay them flat on their backs.

Member 73 Rep Points
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points  
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took my wheels to a repair shop on LA's C/L save your money. they grind the lip smooth and that weakens the wheel. powder coating is a lot of money also. I've seen them on C/L before but it doesn't look to be any this week. if the wheels are stock and you have the receipt you could file a claim with the car wash.

Senior Member 420 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    State
    TX
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

those car washes have waivers posted everywhere that release them from any damage caused by the car wash. good luck with that. i still highly doubt the car wash did that damage. waiting for pics.

Member 88 Rep Points nickstewartroc's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points  
    State
    FL
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the same damage on my stockers, never ran it through a carwash and bought it with 30 miles on it. Not sure what happened but it happened in those first 30 miles with the dealership

Senior Member 856 Rep Points TyphoonFiST's Avatar
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    State
    MN
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

2 Likes

Pictures would be great! If you get time.....or just have your assistant take them for you!
    Is this your bush? Are you king of the forest?

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TyphoonFiST View Post
    Pictures would be great! If you get time.....or just have your assistant take them for you!
    Ha yeah - I'm glad I have an intern around while my arm is all jacked after surgery. I know it's misuse of an intern but hey I'm paying him so :shrug:

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Ok I'm actually thinking some bronze turbomac wheels might be in my future, I generally try to stay stock looking but those turbomac wheels are kinda sexy in bronze.

I just have a thing for white car + bronze wheels maybe. I prefer to avoid drawing attention but... maaaaaaybe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast