Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Are my stock FiST wheels ruined?

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I bought the FiST to be a low-dollar daily runner to keep miles off the other garage-fillers, so I am reticent to buy new wheels for it. That being said...

I sent my assistant to get some of my cars washed - everything went fine with the others, but I suspect that since my FiST was cheap he took it to one of those carwashes that drags the car through on rails. I think this, because the inside lip of all 4 wheels is completely ground down to the metal and the paint on the wheels is flaking off (on the inside shoulder, where the wheel weights are/were). I won't know for sure until I review the expense report when he gets back into town. That being said - I've never really had wheels repaired or needed to, but if its ground down to the *metal* I pretty much have to replace the wheels, right? I don't know the extent of what's fixable and what's not. I was kinda thinking about having the stock wheels stripped and repainted bronze, but haven't done it because I'd have to buy a second set of wheels for my dirt-cheap daily driver that isn't supposed to cost anything to run :p

So, in such an instance as all 4 wheels are ground down like that - is it better to simply buy new wheels?

Do you have a picture? Sounds like you should be able to repair it with body filler and paint it.

Who cares? How often do you see the INSIDE lip?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
those rails are lined in Delrin and will not damage an alloy wheel to that extent, if even cosmetically. in fact, i doubt they even contact the wheel. the damage can be from a long time ago. i would not assume the damage was caused by your assistant. did you check the wheels for damage before they cleaned your cars for you? regardless, thousands of people use those types of drive-thru car washes, including myself, and i've never heard of anyone experiencing this type of problem. it's more likely that the wheels were damaged by being laid or allowed to roll on the concrete, perhaps during a rotation or some sort of wheels-off car work. depending on your tires, the wheel will contact the ground - not the tire - if you lay them flat on their backs.

dmb

I took my wheels to a repair shop on LA's C/L save your money. they grind the lip smooth and that weakens the wheel. powder coating is a lot of money also. I've seen them on C/L before but it doesn't look to be any this week. if the wheels are stock and you have the receipt you could file a claim with the car wash.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
those car washes have waivers posted everywhere that release them from any damage caused by the car wash. good luck with that. i still highly doubt the car wash did that damage. waiting for pics.

I have the same damage on my stockers, never ran it through a carwash and bought it with 30 miles on it. Not sure what happened but it happened in those first 30 miles with the dealership

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
Pictures would be great! If you get time.....or just have your assistant take them for you!
Ha yeah - I'm glad I have an intern around while my arm is all jacked after surgery. I know it's misuse of an intern but hey I'm paying him so :shrug:

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
Ok I'm actually thinking some bronze turbomac wheels might be in my future, I generally try to stay stock looking but those turbomac wheels are kinda sexy in bronze.

I just have a thing for white car + bronze wheels maybe. I prefer to avoid drawing attention but... maaaaaaybe

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Ok I'm actually thinking some bronze turbomac wheels might be in my future, I generally try to stay stock looking but those turbomac wheels are kinda sexy in bronze.

I just have a thing for white car + bronze wheels maybe. I prefer to avoid drawing attention but... maaaaaaybe
Check it out...way cheaper than buying new wheels!

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_tid=17148&share_fid=74193&share_type=t

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
Check it out...way cheaper than buying new wheels!

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_tid=17148&share_fid=74193&share_type=t

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
yeah for sure, i just need to move a car so i can put the fist in the air and get a better look at the wheels, maybe i overreacted but I think i saw a lot of ground off metal in there. If I have to replace the wheels anyways... bronze turbomacs are calling to me :p