Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Exhaust components - Add/Subtract and Noise/Power

I've been reading through every post I can find, regarding exhaust projects, and I can't find exactly what I'm looking for. So...I pose this question to the forum:

Which components would/have you changed, swapped or deleted to contribute significant and effective increases to power and auditory ecstasy?

Which ones can be most easily and give you the best bang for your buck?

Cat-less downpipe vs Resonator vs Muffler!?!?

Catted vs Cat-less downpipe...
How much louder and how much more power? How much noise/drone does replacing just this create?

Resonator delete... How much louder?

Stock Muffler vs Aftermarket muffler vs Muffler delete... How much power/noise? Drone or not?

What combo's have y'all tried? Anyone can buy a Cat-less downpipe and a Catback exhaust off the shelf. I'm looking more for cost effective mods and reasons/science behind which one you chose. My '06 Mini Cooper S had a dual muffler delete. While the noise was hilarious and deafening, the drone was unbearable. I don't want the same thing all over again.

Cheers,

Ryan

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

I have both a back box delete and no mufflers very loud getting a decat soon to complete the straight thru, for noise get rid of the back box and to stop it droning keep atleast one muffler

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

OP
K
Thread Starter #4
I have a res delete with an exhaust dump before the muffler with a valve
Looking for feedback. How much louder? Any bump in power that you can feel?

It’s fairly loud while driving around, pops on the up shift a little loud on the highway. Not really much of a power difference considering I’m on the stock tune

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
My best quality-of-sound has been a single forward resonator and a rear quarter wave resonator. The quarter wave can be tuned longer and shorter to hit the exact frequency range that you dislike.

I'm muffler-less, just a resonator, and it was loud but the quality of sound was pretty poor. I added the quarter wave resonator and it killed the booming drone, allowing the exhaust to still have character while eliminating the overbearing WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA that makes your inner ear throb.

After putting a lot of time and money into the fun of designing and fabricating my own exhaust out of 304 stainless, I'd acknowledge that it would've been cheaper to grab a thermal, as ultimately they use the same solution I did to cancel drone but they've already done the R&D so it's fire-and-forget.

At the end of the day though, just changing your exhaust while stock is for noise only. Going catless just makes you a jerk, there's no real reason to do it.

Catless + muffler delete just sounds obnoxious. There's a teenager near my office with a black ST and what looks like a muffler delete and it sounds like it'd be right at home in a highscool parking lot.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Especially since exhausts don't add power with a stock turbo, a good budget way to go is simply replace the muffler for a glasspack... now you'll have to have a bit of custom work done to bring the tip down with a little S at the end of the glasspack, but got mine done for $150, including $100 labor, $30 for MagnaFlow glasspack and $20 for a 9" resonated tip off Amazon. Definitely fairly loud but actually has gotten quieter as the fiberglass has softened up with time, but is also nice and deep with some natural pops and gurgles. I think it's perfect to go along with a Symposer delete and now I can actually hear the exhaust when I get on it and also the natural cool whoosh noises from under the hood that is covered up by the grunt noise with Symposer in place. Also, I think Symposer is gong to be the weak link in holding boost, right after I did my delete I noticed I held boost a bit better and my initial psi spike was a little higher than ever recorded before on the same tune. And just to add, again since exhausts don't make more power with a stock turbo being the bottleneck, I see no reason to mess with a DP, especially catless, when there are easier ways like this to make some good sound.

I have an MBRP CAT back and nothing else. I did it more for sound but I can feel a little more power at the upper RPM's. The sound is awesome and just right and what I was seeking. The big tips look better too. But ideally I need to add a tune and intake, then I will feel more of a difference.

OP
K
Thread Starter #9
I have an MBRP CAT back and nothing else. I did it more for sound but I can feel a little more power at the upper RPM's. The sound is awesome and just right and what I was seeking. The big tips look better too. But ideally I need to add a tune and intake, then I will feel more of a difference.
Which MBRP? Installer, XP or Performance? Each is about $100 more, respectively. Curious to see the difference in sound and performance boost.

OP
K
Thread Starter #10
Thanks for the input, guys. I understand how flow works, and what is needed to increase performance, and such. I understand acoustics less than the performance aspect. I figured asking for real world experience would be easier than trying to understand the science behind sound!

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I am running a Thermal RD and love it. I am on board with others that eliminating the cat in the downpipe is kinda of a waste . It really serves no purpose as it might give you 1-2 hp more and pretty much pollutes and puts out noxious fumes.
I went for the exhaust because I just felt my car was way too quite stock. Now its deep and throaty with occassional pops and burbles.

OP
K
Thread Starter #12
I am running a Thermal RD and love it. I am on board with others that eliminating the cat in the downpipe is kinda of a waste . It really serves no purpose as it might give you 1-2 hp more and pretty much pollutes and puts out noxious fumes.
I went for the exhaust because I just felt my car was way too quite stock. Now its deep and throaty with occassional pops and burbles.
Drone at highway speeds? My last car droned so bad.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account