Welcome to Fiesta ST Forum, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points  
    State
    TX
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Manual transmission continues to fade: Here's where it sells best and worst

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Sad trend

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/10/10/...-places-lists/
    Besides sports cars, the manual transmission take-rate on most vehicles that offer both manual and automatic options is extremely low. Manufacturers will often tell us it's around 5 percent when we ask, which is then followed by a moment of sadness. CarMax has another sad story to tell us about how many of its shoppers buy vehicles equipped with a manual — the rate currently stands at 3.7 percent over there. Keep in mind CarMax's business operation when looking at this data. The car buying and selling company relies on trade-ins and cars it buys from consumers. If nobody trades in a manual, then CarMax can't sell a manual.

We get to see the percentages broken down by city and state, too. As states go, New Mexico leads the way at 5.65 percent. Illinois is in last place at 2.04 percent.

El Paso looks to be manual transmission paradise, sitting at the top with 6.09 percent of CarMax's sales. That's egregiously low compared to where the percentages stood 23 years ago, though: CarMax has been tracking this data awhile now; 27 percent of all cars it sold in 1995 were manuals.

Other cities of note in the top 10 trying to keep the manual flame alive include Reno, Albany and Seattle. The steep hills and crowded roads of Seattle have us scratching our heads a little on that one, but there must be enough enthusiasts to ramp up the percentage.

Many of the cities on the least-popular list are right in the midst of truck country. The truck factor plus busy metropolitan areas most likely discourage people from opting for a manual transmission. Brimingham, Ala., has a take rate of only 1.98 percent, and some of the bigger cities in the southern part of the country follow right on behind.

Automatics have gotten so good these days that even enthusiasts are opting for faster-shifting dual-clutch transmissions. BMW releasing the 2019 3 Series without a stick-shift option and Audi dropping it from the A4 are the two most recent casualties for the U.S.

We've all accepted that the manual transmission is an endangered species, but statistics like these show how close it is to actual extinction. You can still do your best to help the cause, though. Here's our 2018 model-year list of every new car you can buy with a manual transmission.

Ratings | Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    State
    UT
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 Likes

It hurts to look at those numbers
    Stop using Photobucket to host your images!
    Now: 2014 Molten Orange
    Then: 04 Miata, 00 Miata, 91 Miata, etc etc

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points  
    State
    NC
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1 Likes

It's just the reality of America. No one knows how to do anything anymore.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Member 460 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points  
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

no California in that . Most likely becuase there are not many Carmax dealers here lol.
    But its kind obvious Americans are buying trucks SUV’s and automatics.
    2018 Orange Spice,Smoke Storm Recaro’s,Ebony wheels( for now) Thermal RD Exhaust
    , Cobb AP( tune by Randy af Mountune, more customs to come, ST200 airbox with cold air intake,Revo foam filter, Turbosmart EV blowoff valve, Whoosh motorsports Symposer delete

Senior Member 820 Rep Points koozy's Avatar

Member #
    Medals
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 Likes

millennials

Senior Member 856 Rep Points TyphoonFiST's Avatar

Member #
    Medals
    State
    MN
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well someone is going to die early if they need to go to the hospital when no one knows how to drive a manual car and that's all that's around. That and the millennials Need someone to do the thinking for them so they can text their order to chipotle on their phone while driving to get the next Minecraft game dawg...Dam!
    Is this your bush? Are you king of the forest?

Member 66 Rep Points Sessantacinque's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Country
    Italy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Business6 View Post
    It hurts to look at those numbers
    Totally agree with You!

I think I was born with a manual gear inside…...when I was a baby I imitated gear shifting ( with double declutch too )...
    I really like cars with manual transmission
    2015 Fiesta ST Track day car.
    Frozen white, stock engine and engine control unit, modified air box, BMC air panel, Eibach springs kit, ATP(or RVS) 17/7 rims.
    Rear seats, plastic rear panels deleted.

Senior Member 856 Rep Points TyphoonFiST's Avatar

Member #
    Medals
    State
    MN
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Sessantacinque View Post
    Totally agree with You!

I think I was born with a manual gear inside…...when I was a baby I imitated gear shifting ( with double declutch too )...
    I really like cars with manual transmission
    I want to see sonographic proof of this! It would make for a great T-shirt!
    Is this your bush? Are you king of the forest?

Member #
    Medals
    State
    IN
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ford ST View Post
    It's just the reality of America. No one knows how to do anything anymore.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
    Not true. They just don't know how to drive a stick. They also never dialed a rotary phone.
    2017 Magnetic, everything but the Recaros. MP 215, mountune shift kit and shift knob, Husky floor liners. That's all I'm doing, I swear!.. OK, I lied. Also added an intake hose and symposer delete. But that really is all, I swear this time! Okay. just one other thing: A mountune RMM. Now I really am done, I promise!

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    State
    VA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    It probably doesn't help that most people with manuals keep their car alot longer than automatic drivers.
    2008 vw rabbit(totaled), 2006 civic si(sold), 2010 vw gti(sold), 2016 fist mishi intake, cobb rmm, vogtland springs, TRS retrofit stuff, Levels intercooler, Mountune Hot side charge pipe, JSTuned with a corn blend, powrflex engine and transmission mouts, tune+ turbosmart wastegate, morimotto led xb fog lights, Turbosmart wee port bov(whoosh kit), ST2 focus st recaro seat upgrade, 16x8 konig dekagram with 205 45 16 sc2(Future Mods Hybrid turbo)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast