Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Odd relay issue

OK, I did something different: I took voltage from the bus that runs emissions controls under the hood (at that fuse block) and ran that to my front running lights (i.e. with the blinkers) for a poor man's DRL. Maybe a little dim, but works OK.

But now I notice an intermittent issue. Normally after shutoff, the front running lights now go out in a couple seconds, beating the rear ones. But maybe like 1% of the time, the lights (now on the emissions bus) stay on, seemingly indefinitely. So the relay driving the emissions stuff is either stuck on or continues to be driven upstream somehow. So then, when I hit the start button twice, it has always turned off.

The bummer here is having to check to make sure I don't kill the battery. But even without the lights hooked up like I did, I'm thinking this issue could exist - with emissions stuff draining the battery too. The lights just give it away.

So...anybody with battery drain issues, or have noticed something like this?

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
The power you grabbed is on a timed shut down circuit.
I will sometimes go off right away but can take as much a 5 minutes.
I use this power as well.

Here is the work around:

If your lights do not go off right away.
Just cycle the start/power button, on and off, without stepping on the clutch.

Dave

OP
F
Thread Starter #3
Thanks. I've never had the patience to see if they eventually shut off. Next time I'll let them go and check. A few minutes and a few amps is no big deal - easier than checking every time I park. Seems like this car has a timer on about every light anyway.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
If they don't go off in the first 30 seconds then cycle the on/off button as I said.
There is no reason to wait any longer.

Dave