Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

AP Stolen, Now what?

So it looks like I accidentally left my doors unlocked last night and my AP was stolen. [facepalm] I can't believe that I left it open, as I was just giving the wife crap about leaving her car unlocked a week or so ago. Its the only thing they took. So if anyone sees an AP for sale from the Charleston, SC area without an OBD cable be aware.

I have a few questions if anyone can help.
1st- I assume to report it stolen to Cobb, I need the serial number of the AP? Or does the VIN get recorded to the AP? I got mine second hand and did not document the serial number, would it be recorded somewhere in one of my data logs or on the accessport manager? (I don't have access to my computer at the moment and Cobb isn't open on weekends)

2nd- I don't really have the cash right now to get a new one. Can I get Ford to reflash the CPU to stock and then in the future get a new AP? Would the ford reflash override any sort of marriage between my CPU and the old AP so that I can pick up another used one or would I need to get a new one directly from Cobb? Currently I'm running an E30 tune and would prefer not to be locked to it as I generally like to run a tank of 93 every 4th or 5th tank to reset my ethanol.

Don't be like me, lock your doors and take your AP in!

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Most don't even know what it is and probably thought it was a phone.
When the thief realizes that it will more than likely be tossed.
Look on the bright side.
At least they didn't brake a window as well.

The first thing I would do to get the correct answers would be call Cobb.
I am sure you are not the first person this has happened to.

BTW: did you have the box it came in?
The S/N is on the box.

Dave

I've always been curious on this sort of subject. I'm in the processes of buying one and have tried to think on how to improve security of having it in there. I have a lock box in my car, could put it in there, but a pain to keep taking it in and out.

I would call cobb first and see what they say. And of course notify local police. Any neighbors have cameras?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
I believe if you can supply Cobb with a copy of the police report they will help you in some way. Can't hurt to ask.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
forevercasual
Thread Starter #5
I'll give Cobb a call Monday to see what can be done and update here. Unfortunately the person I got the AP from didn't send the box. I filed a police report this morning and will probably be picking up a security camera in the near future. It sucks that the thief will probably just throw it out because it's pretty much worthless. On my future one, I may have to make decals or something stating its worthless unless unmarried. Not that they'd read it anyway.

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
I've never got the obsession with having it out 24/7. I uploaded a tune, made sure the numbers looked alright......unplugged and never plugged back in

OP
forevercasual
Thread Starter #8
I've never got the obsession with having it out 24/7. I uploaded a tune, made sure the numbers looked alright......unplugged and never plugged back in
I never kept it plugged in. Its always under the seat, maybe if we had locking glove boxes. And as I said, I like the freedom to switch tunes without having to pre-plan to bring my AP to the gas station that day. Regardless, I've learned my lesson and will probably try to flash to stock and stay there for a while

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Just park in a garage like normal people...it wont happen. Get windows tinted....within legal limits...[emoji6]...or get a tint prescription like me from the optometrist!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
forevercasual
Thread Starter #10
Update from Cobb:
"The Accessport does not contain your VIN number as we do not track vehicles by VIN.

If you were to purchase a new or used Accessport, as long as its unmarried, you will not have any issues at all installing a new map on the ECU. You'll just encounter a message that says "This ECU is currently tuned, if you continue, the tune will be lost forever".

If you took your car to Ford and had them flash the ECU back to stock, you will still be able to purchase a new or used Accessport and get it installed on the ECU as long as its unmarried. "

I also asked about other things I read online about Cobb providing a discount and here is Cobb's response:

"That offer is set aside for our customers who bought the Accessport directly from us or an authorized COBB dealer. If you can include the proof of purchase along with an official police report as well, I can get things started on my end!"

So this doesn't really help me out, but I wanted to get the info out there to help anyone else out. It is cool that Cobb would provide any assistance for theft, just too bad I got mine secondhand.

Yes, never, ever leave anything of value in plain view. That's rule #1. And always lock your car. Thieves look for things like phones or other valuable items making it their worthwhile to break into your car.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Update from Cobb:
"The Accessport does not contain your VIN number as we do not track vehicles by VIN.

If you were to purchase a new or used Accessport, as long as its unmarried, you will not have any issues at all installing a new map on the ECU. You'll just encounter a message that says "This ECU is currently tuned, if you continue, the tune will be lost forever".

If you took your car to Ford and had them flash the ECU back to stock, you will still be able to purchase a new or used Accessport and get it installed on the ECU as long as its unmarried. "

I also asked about other things I read online about Cobb providing a discount and here is Cobb's response:

"That offer is set aside for our customers who bought the Accessport directly from us or an authorized COBB dealer. If you can include the proof of purchase along with an official police report as well, I can get things started on my end!"

So this doesn't really help me out, but I wanted to get the info out there to help anyone else out. It is cool that Cobb would provide any assistance for theft, just too bad I got mine secondhand.
Thanks for posting this. I’ve always wondered what would happen if it were lost, stolen or shat on.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Filing a police report, won't produce your property and may only serve as yet another excuse for the insurance company to point to when "justifying" their next price hike. Your $X00 property loss won't even delay a donut break, as far as the police are concerned.