Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Is the torque steer real?

stjudge

I have been driving front wheel drive cars for decades and this is the worst torque steer I have ever experienced. Many of the "fun" roads around me are crowned and uneven. This exacerbates the problem for obvious reasons. Steering is substantially better if I happen to find a flat smooth road. Driving the back curvy roads is fun, but damn!

me32

1000 Post Club
I have been driving front wheel drive cars for decades and this is the worst torque steer I have ever experienced. Many of the "fun" roads around me are crowned and uneven. This exacerbates the problem for obvious reasons. Steering is substantially better if I happen to find a flat smooth road. Driving the back curvy roads is fun, but damn!
Lsd time

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Lol Try driving a Sentra SER Spec V or a FoST if you think the FiST is bad . Lol

OP
M
Thread Starter #28
It's definitely worse than all the other cars I've ever driven.
Even stock, on a flat road, it almost appears like the front wheels lock up, unless I force the steering wheel in another direction.
Then again, most cars I've driven, I don't floor in 1st to 3rd gear.

While not detrimental on the streets, I can see how this can become an issue on the tracks. Especially with more engine power.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Even stock, on a flat road, it almost appears like the front wheels lock up, unless I force the steering wheel in another direction.

While not detrimental on the streets, I can see how this can become an issue on the tracks. Especially with more engine power.
I think there is something wrong with your car. The Stock FiST is really nothing near what you are describing.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
LoL. Yeah he makes it sound like a big pre-oil embargo 70's American Muscle car with power steering disabled or removed. Differential wheel slip will steer the car a bit, but unless you're 100lb Japanese woman, you won't find it difficult to compensate.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
LoL. Yeah he makes it sound like a big pre-oil embargo 70's American Muscle car with power steering disabled or removed. Differential wheel slip will steer the car a bit, but unless you're 100lb Japanese woman, you won't find it difficult to compensate.
First vehicle I ever had was a 64 Chevy short bed small rear window truck. That would have been in 2004. Have enough power it would damn near pull the front tires off the ground probably because the back was squatted due to the welded in steel plate, because the wood bed was rotted out of course. No power steering no power brakes 3 speed automatic 410 rear end.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

cxwrench

Seriously? It's noticeable but it's not anything like you describe.

OP
M
Thread Starter #34
Seriously? It's noticeable but it's not anything like you describe.
That's why I initially made the thread.
Sometimes, when I try to compensate, to get the wheels to turn straight under full acceleration, it over compensates, and swings the car in the other direction.
It's not easy to control.
It's not hard to move the steering wheel, but it is hard to control the car to drive in a straight fashion.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
This is in part due to an "upset" suspension. It takes it a moment to settle into the direction you're heading. You have to wait a moment for the car to stabilize before giving it additional input. If you keep giving it input before it has a chance to settle, it will seem "out of control".

This vehicle does have a few automated nannies, two of which are stability control and torque vectoring. It operates via ABS by braking one corner harder than the others. I've noticed in particular, that the unusual event of braking out of a turn can kind of confuse the systems and make the suspension really upset. But again, just ignore the fact that the suspension is heaving all over the place and keep a stable wheel. It'll settle down. If you're on an open test track with no others around, may try pulling the ABS fuse and pulling a few maneuvers.

EDIT: Technicality on ABS - corner(s) are braked lighter than the others - not the other way around. ABS doesn't brake, it sort of "unbrakes".

cxwrench

That's why I initially made the thread.
Sometimes, when I try to compensate, to get the wheels to turn straight under full acceleration, it over compensates, and swings the car in the other direction.
It's not easy to control.
It's not hard to move the steering wheel, but it is hard to control the car to drive in a straight fashion.
High performance driving school. If you're ending up so out of shape that it's that difficult to control you're making some serious mistakes.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
The torque steer is in this car and you are not going to get rid of it.
Try getting used to the torque steer gradually.
Turn the ESC completely off.
Then don't floor the accelerator but only give it half throttle and try to get used to it.
Then start adding more throttle each time and continue until you get familiar as to what to expect.
Soon you will learn not to fight it but to enjoy it.
It is just like anything, practice, practice, practice.

Just a thought, you do what ever you want.

Dave

I just got my FiST but before it I had a 2002 Volkswagen Gti Vr6. I put an Lsd in that car and it was the best modification I've ever done to any of my cars. The open diff in the FiST is a bummer and I am struggling to not drop the money on an LSD even though the car only has 1k miles.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Of course with lots of instant torque in these FWD cars with no limited slip there will plenty of torque steer.. Now some is kind of fun but especially when you are tuned it can get out of hand. The best thing you can do is upgrade all 3 engine mounts with at least inserts and it becomes MUCH more tolerable, doing those 3 mounts probably removes 60% of the torque steer even while tuned. Good RMM's are only like $110 and the PowerFlex upper side inserts are like $90 shipped, so for $200 it's really great bang for the buck.