Welcome to Fiesta ST Forum, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Is the torque steer real?
8 Likes

Senior Member 351 Rep Points
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points  
    State
    OH
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ford ST View Post
    He can't drive.
    LoL. Yeah he makes it sound like a big pre-oil embargo 70's American Muscle car with power steering disabled or removed. Differential wheel slip will steer the car a bit, but unless you're 100lb Japanese woman, you won't find it difficult to compensate.
    2016 Ford Fiesta ST Kona Blue ; Engine, Suspension will remain untouched ; Southwest Ohio ; Winter: 215/45R17 Continental ; Seasonal: 205/40R17 Bridgestone

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points  
    State
    NC
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Intuit View Post
    LoL. Yeah he makes it sound like a big pre-oil embargo 70's American Muscle car with power steering disabled or removed. Differential wheel slip will steer the car a bit, but unless you're 100lb Japanese woman, you won't find it difficult to compensate.
    First vehicle I ever had was a 64 Chevy short bed small rear window truck. That would have been in 2004. Have enough power it would damn near pull the front tires off the ground probably because the back was squatted due to the welded in steel plate, because the wood bed was rotted out of course. No power steering no power brakes 3 speed automatic 410 rear end.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MeeLee View Post
    It's definitely worse than all the other cars I've ever driven.
    Even stock, on a flat road, it almost appears like the front wheels lock up, unless I force the steering wheel in another direction.
    Then again, most cars I've driven, I don't floor in 1st to 3rd gear.

While not detrimental on the streets, I can see how this can become an issue on the tracks. Especially with more engine power.
    Seriously? It's noticeable but it's not anything like you describe.
    # 169 2014 Race Red, Recaros, Nav, the whole enchilada.
    16x7 Sparco Assetto Gara, 205/45-16 B-stone Potenza RE760 Sport, AWR rmm, Ramair filter & intake pipe, Whoosh symposer delete, Motul 300, Cobb AP & knob. Tint.

New Member 6 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals

State
    FL
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Seriously? It's noticeable but it's not anything like you describe.
    That's why I initially made the thread.
    Sometimes, when I try to compensate, to get the wheels to turn straight under full acceleration, it over compensates, and swings the car in the other direction.
    It's not easy to control.
    It's not hard to move the steering wheel, but it is hard to control the car to drive in a straight fashion.

Senior Member 351 Rep Points

Member #
    Medals
    State
    OH
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is in part due to an "upset" suspension. It takes it a moment to settle into the direction you're heading. You have to wait a moment for the car to stabilize before giving it additional input. If you keep giving it input before it has a chance to settle, it will seem "out of control".

This vehicle does have a few automated nannies, two of which are stability control and torque vectoring. It operates via ABS by braking one corner harder than the others. I've noticed in particular, that the unusual event of braking out of a turn can kind of confuse the systems and make the suspension really upset. But again, just ignore the fact that the suspension is heaving all over the place and keep a stable wheel. It'll settle down. If you're on an open test track with no others around, may try pulling the ABS fuse and pulling a few maneuvers.

EDIT: Technicality on ABS - corner(s) are braked lighter than the others - not the other way around. ABS doesn't brake, it sort of "unbrakes".
    2016 Ford Fiesta ST Kona Blue ; Engine, Suspension will remain untouched ; Southwest Ohio ; Winter: 215/45R17 Continental ; Seasonal: 205/40R17 Bridgestone

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

That's why I initially made the thread.
    Sometimes, when I try to compensate, to get the wheels to turn straight under full acceleration, it over compensates, and swings the car in the other direction.
    It's not easy to control.
    It's not hard to move the steering wheel, but it is hard to control the car to drive in a straight fashion.
    High performance driving school. If you're ending up so out of shape that it's that difficult to control you're making some serious mistakes.
    # 169 2014 Race Red, Recaros, Nav, the whole enchilada.
    16x7 Sparco Assetto Gara, 205/45-16 B-stone Potenza RE760 Sport, AWR rmm, Ramair filter & intake pipe, Whoosh symposer delete, Motul 300, Cobb AP & knob. Tint.

Staff Team Staff Team 1391 Rep Points Fiesta ST of the Month Winner D1JL's Avatar

Member #
    Medals
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Then again, most cars I've driven, I don't floor in 1st to 3rd gear.
    The torque steer is in this car and you are not going to get rid of it.
    Try getting used to the torque steer gradually.
    Turn the ESC completely off.
    Then don't floor the accelerator but only give it half throttle and try to get used to it.
    Then start adding more throttle each time and continue until you get familiar as to what to expect.
    Soon you will learn not to fight it but to enjoy it.
    It is just like anything, practice, practice, practice.

Just a thought, you do what ever you want.

Dave
    Modifying cars is a sickness.....and I have it.

Click The Links Below to See what I Have Done.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234