Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Is the torque steer real?

I notice when I floor the pedal in lower gears, my wheels position is more firm, the wheels don't center out.
Like, if my wheels are aimed right, the car keeps going in that direction, or left, it continues that direction.
Usually torque steer pushes the car in one direction.
I'm just wondering if this torque steer is simulated, or why the car is acting up like this?

Zormecteon

There are a couple of things going on in you "test". .. First, I see no listing of mods. If that is true, that you have a pure stock car, then---- Ford has done everything they can (for the price) to mitigate the problem. This includes limiting the power (in the form of capping boost pressure) in first and second gears where torque steer is most noticeable. Second, you mention that you are gripping the wheel firmly. That too will limit the reaction. If you want to see which direction the car wants to go, try holding loosely, or letting go of the wheel completely. I'm sure you can find it.

OP
M
Thread Starter #4
Ow, no,
My Fist is totally stock.
I do get the issue in sports mode, so it seems like the overboost in lower gears does cause this more.

Also, I don't grip the wheel tightly.
I can let go of the steering wheel, and it would basically drive in circles, for as long as I'm accelerating; I'm guessing 1st to 3rd gear.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
My dads old V6 Lumina sedan would almost rip the steering wheel from your hands if you accelerated quickly from stop in the rain. It would pull to the right and then you just sawed on their steering wheel trying to straighten it out.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

me32

1000 Post Club
Tq steer wouldn't actually be a real issue if from the factory it came with a real LSD or true/wave trac.

I wonder if there is much tq steer in the new euo ST.

I have an MP215 tune, rear motor mount and Firestone Firehawk tires. I definitely have torque steer, which is to be expected. A LSD would be nice, but not planning to put that on at the moment.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I finally put a RMM on mine, too. It's a lot less squirrely than before. Seems to track straighter and not wander so much when I punch it, but it's a FWD car. You'll always get a little.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
If your wheels are pointed right, the car will go to the right and continue that direction until you point your wheels to the left.

OP
M
Thread Starter #11
Yeah, it's not as much that the steering wheel pulls to the right or so,
More that the steering wheel seems glued in one direction.
It takes effort to actually center the steering wheel, to drive forward.

Are you sure a lot of this isn't the stability control doing it's thing? Is this happening with esc on or off?

It’s not just power and fwd. engineering explained on YouTube did a good video a while back about how Honda overcomes this. It’s worth a watch.

It's so disappointing when manufactures brag about eliminating torque steer. How neutered do they want FWDs to be...

Intuit

3000 Post Club
It has an open differential. If you're slipping one wheel more than the other (it doesn't take much) then it's going to self-steer.

Centrifugal forces during high RPM with the old rear-wheel drive small and big block engines would twist the front-end and bias one side. So even though it was rear wheel it would want to self-steer.

I'm not so sure that the forces we're observing are torque steer, versus tank steer. You can feel the wheel slip, but not any chassis twist. It's a 1.6L, not a 5.0L.